GoDuBois.com

Places Of Interest

Paradox

With the weather getting nicer I’m looking for historic/abandoned local places (an hour or 2 drive is fine) to visit or explore. I’ve been to the Quehanna Wild Area with the nuclear engine test, site and camp and I have also found the coke ovens near Sykesville. Does anyone know of any other interesting places or have ideas?  

Eleanora an abandoned town near wishaw, O'Donnell an abandoned town near the O'Donnell bridge outside of Reynoldsville, both are in Jefferson county.  O'Donnell is on game lands covers large area both side of Sandy lick.  Foundations near bridge, old coke ovens ,school house had been along schoolhouse.  Scripture rocks near brookville.

5 minutes ago, buschpounder said:

Eleanora an abandoned town near wishaw, O'Donnell an abandoned town near the O'Donnell bridge outside of Reynoldsville, both are in Jefferson county.  O'Donnell is on game lands covers large area both side of Sandy lick.  Foundations near bridge, old coke ovens ,school house had been along schoolhouse.  Scripture rocks near brookville.

Where is the old school house?!  

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

For some reason I’ve never been there yet. I need to go there! 

I love going out to the end of the bridge where there are glass plates you can step on and look through.  The view all around is gorgeous!  Especially when the leaves are changing.  There is also a gift shop and a visitor center where the history of the bridge is laid out for you.  Sometimes there is a food truck in the parking lot.  There are also trails underneath you can hike on.  Great place for all ages and lots of parking!

1 hour ago, Illiterate said:

Horseshoe Curve and the Railroad Museum in Altoona.  East Broadtop Railroad in Orbisonia.  Lincoln Caverns near Huntingdon. Thousand Steps (if you like to hike) further along 22 near Mt Union.  Hawn and Ridenour Overlooks at Lake Raystown.

I am trying to get into hiking so this might be perfect