GoDuBois.com

Wind turbine

etsaunt

While out for a ride today we saw a large amount of wind turbine blades and other parts at the rail yards by Fort Worth pipe.  My question is any one know how they got there. I can’t imagine them being shipped by rail because they are huge.  Thought maybe they are assembled there. These turbines fascinate me.  I would appreciate any info.  Thanks.  

5 hours ago, etsaunt said:

While out for a ride today we saw a large amount of wind turbine blades and other parts at the rail yards by Fort Worth pipe.  My question is any one know how they got there. I can’t imagine them being shipped by rail because they are huge.  Thought maybe they are assembled there. These turbines fascinate me.  I would appreciate any info.  Thanks.  

They are shipped with two train cars under them that are specially designed for the job.  Then they are lifted off and into the storage position by the crane there.  Blades are all in one piece which is making it increasingly hard to transport them by truck.  

All the blades and generator units in the region I work(lower 1/3 of Cambria & all of Somerset counties) came from Erie via rail car, then offloaded to truck for either temp storage or construction.  The is(or was?) a big storage yard along SR160 just south of Ebensburg for spare units.

There are more windmills down there than I can count.  I had to design fiber and copper services to all the monitoring/maintenance offices in my area.  From a distance they don't look all that big, but once you're under one you see how big they really are.   Most of the newer units have blades that are 92FT or longer.   Some of the older units have 75-85FT blades.