GoDuBois.com

Stinkbugs

Petee

Hey petee i have 25 tomato plants in my garden, over the last few weeks the bottom leaves look like they got hit with a blow torch, is this possibly blite ? I keep pulling the dead ones off but it jus keeps spreading up the plant.HELP!!

Well, technically they would say pull them now and dispose of them but I don't think that I could do it. Many years we get blight and still ripen tomatoes. If some of them really go then pull them all. The fruit will start to get soft spots on it and that is bad. Crying for you here. :cry2:

Well, technically they would say pull them now and dispose of them but I don't think that I could do it. Many years we get blight and still ripen tomatoes. If some of them really go then pull them all. The fruit will start to get soft spots on it and that is bad. Crying for you here. :cry2:

Thanks again,  i'm doing some online research to try and prevent this from happening again. Learning more on watering the plants, treatment and rotating my crop, as well as getting rid of the infected ones.

If only the bottom leaves turned yellow and then brown it may just be Early Blight.  Late Blight (watery black spots on leaves, stems and fruit) starts in the middle or top of the plant and on the fruit about the same time.  Early Blight will progress slowly till fall, not affecting the fruit much till late summer, but Late Blight is very fast spreading, destroying plants in days.

If it's Late Blight then you can trim off the diseased branches portion just till you get a little fruit, spray with  then pull and destroy the plants.  You can plastic bag and trash the plants or burn them.  Don't compost any of the plants or fruit.  Don't leave any dropped fruit in the garden or leaves.  Also, eat the tomatoes well washed and fresh, or cook them immediately.  Don't can with them as the PH can be affected.  I'm not sure about freezing them.

You can try to spray but it all depends on how early you started preventative measures.

http://www.extension.org/pages/18351/organic-management-of-late-blight-of-potato-and-tomato-with-copper-products

If it's Early Blight then it happens to most tomatoes sometime in the summer.  No problem till later, and frost will probably get them before it gets to the fruit.  That's a soil problem from soil splashing up onto the plant from rain.  

Maybe these photos will help you make a decision:

Late Blight/Early Blight?:  http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/lateblight.htm

Preventative Pruing for Early Blight:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/Grow-It/Organic-Gardening/Preventive-Pruning-for-Tomato-Early-Blight-Control.aspx

ya know... they look a lot like ladybugs... i wonder if some of the "lady bugs" ive had in my house are actually these, because i get a lot of stink bugs, too.

Gee hon. You seem to have knack for attracting bugs. :-/

For whatever reason I was over run with those long brown bugs with the pinchers on their butt. They seem to have thinned out quite a bit.

Gee hon. You seem to have knack for attracting bugs. :-/

For whatever reason I was over run with those long brown bugs with the pinchers on their butt. They seem to have thinned out quite a bit.

earwigs... yeah i get those damn things too.  most bugs dont bother me... just the kind that are creepy and huge, oh and the 8 legged things that shall not be named.

one day my 2 year old came running to me screaming "bug! bug!" he had an earwig between his fingers which he had smashed and was soooo proud of his kill.  then when i told him to throw it away he cried!  he did not want to get rid of the dead bug and there was no way in, well you know, that i was gonna let a dead bug hang out with us!

The weired thing is I have a dog in the house. I have not saw a flea or tick all summer.

Maybe the big bugs are eating the little bugs?

so that means the bugs will just keep getting bigger?  is that what you are telling me??

No. Those are over weight spiders. Thats all.

if only i could type out all the cuss words that are going through my head right now...

my son got a picture book the other day that has one of those said creatures in it... i have considered whiting it out.

if only i could type out all the cuss words that are going through my head right now...

my son got a picture book the other day that has one of those said creatures in it... i have considered whiting it out.

Sorry buddy. I'll quit freaking you out.

Hey. Did you hear about the 6 legged rat they caught on the old Jackson China site?

Said it went around 50 pounds and its fangs were 4 inches long. Put up one heck of a fight. Took 50 rounds to kill it. I hear a couple of guys lost arms and such. Full of earwiggs and dead spiders when they cut it open. Also hear they only got the little one.

:)

Sorry buddy. I'll quit freaking you out.

Hey. Did you hear about the 6 legged rat they caught on the old Jackson China site?

Said it went around 50 pounds and its fangs were 4 inches long. Put up one heck of a fight. Took 50 rounds to kill it. I hear a couple of guys lost arms and such. Full of earwiggs and dead spiders when they cut it open. Also hear they only got the little one.

:)

...i live near jackson china...

Watch out for them 6 legged rats.

well, considering im prepared for the zombie apocalypse, i think i can handle some rats.

speaking of strange rats and jackson china... didnt i once hear something about toxic substances in or around there?

well, considering im prepared for the zombie apocalypse, i think i can handle some rats.

speaking of strange rats and jackson china... didnt i once hear something about toxic substances in or around there?

The land contains a lot of lead. It will pretty much be nothing but a field for a long time.

Lead makes them 6 legged rats ammune to well, lead.

If only the bottom leaves turned yellow and then brown it may just be Early Blight.  Late Blight (watery black spots on leaves, stems and fruit) starts in the middle or top of the plant and on the fruit about the same time.  Early Blight will progress slowly till fall, not affecting the fruit much till late summer, but Late Blight is very fast spreading, destroying plants in days.

If it's Late Blight then you can trim off the diseased branches portion just till you get a little fruit, spray with  then pull and destroy the plants.  You can plastic bag and trash the plants or burn them.  Don't compost any of the plants or fruit.  Don't leave any dropped fruit in the garden or leaves.  Also, eat the tomatoes well washed and fresh, or cook them immediately.  Don't can with them as the PH can be affected.  I'm not sure about freezing them.

You can try to spray but it all depends on how early you started preventative measures.

http://www.extension.org/pages/18351/organic-management-of-late-blight-of-potato-and-tomato-with-copper-products

If it's Early Blight then it happens to most tomatoes sometime in the summer.  No problem till later, and frost will probably get them before it gets to the fruit.  That's a soil problem from soil splashing up onto the plant from rain.  

Maybe these photos will help you make a decision:

Late Blight/Early Blight?:  http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/lateblight.htm

Preventative Pruing for Early Blight:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/Grow-It/Organic-Gardening/Preventive-Pruning-for-Tomato-Early-Blight-Control.aspx

Thank you, looks like its early blight.

and sorry for hijacking this thread. was desperate for answers.

They did. All that is left is the outlet store. I believe Falls Creek holds out hope that one day it may become a Sheetz. ;D

i meant the store... isn't that where the whole works was?  i live by the store... i just moved to the FC 4 years ago... fill me in!

(and im kinda not sorry for hijacking the thread!!!)