GoDuBois.com

my holly bush!!

Bon

The rabbits have been eating our holly bush for the past 2 winters. It is really bad this year. What can we do???? Besides take out the rabbits. I bought the blood stuff, and I bought liquid fence. haven't used the fence yet. Does it work?

whole_holly_bush_3461.jpg

bare_holly_bush_1596.jpg

take out the rabbits.   I am declaring a chipmunk war, getting more and more holes everyday in the yard

Just wait until the day you get a chipmunk inside your house.  We had one a few years ago.  

He was an elusive critter, with us seeing him a few times and him driving Molly, our beagle, crazy.  One day I was taking a snooze in my easy chair and something woke me and there was Mr. Chipmunk sitting on my shoulder.  I don't know who jumped the highest.  We saw him run under one of the tall radiators we have in our main living room.  Got my air rifle and it was like a carnival shooting tent with me trying to hit him (didn't).  

Finally I got a sticky rat pad at Lowes, put it out with a dab a peanut butter and ole Mr. Chipmunk stuck himself to it.    This happened while I was at work, with my wife telephoning me, asking what to do.  I told her to put gloves on and take the sticky pad and chipmunk outside, which she did, and that I would deal with him later.  Came home a bit later and went out to again meet Mr. Chipmunk.  Nothing left on the pad, except a portion of his paw and some fur.  Felt real bad.

The Liquid Fence works on deer. Even in the winter you have to keep renewing it. It doesn't even suggest that it works on rabbits as far as I can remember. The only thing you can do to keep rabbits from eating bushes over the winter is to put up a fence that has meshing too small for them to get through. I use chicken wire over bushes.

I had to put floating row covers over my peas and now I have netting over my broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage and they are all behind a 4 foot tall fence that is supplemented by another 4 feet of netting.

Tossed my bottle. Don't remember seeing that it worked for rabbits. Thanks!

The last time I sprayed I came back in to find the portion of Liquid Fence that was supposed to go into the sprayer sitting on the counter. Guess I sprayed with water and whatever was left in the sprayer. Memory has long departed.

The rabbits have drove hubby and I crazy the last two years.  This year we have two so far and the only thing they are going after is a rose shrub but we have been able to keep them on the move. We tried everything we could but nothing seemed to work.  I did try dial soap in a knee hi stocking, tied them toward the bottom of the tree and believe it or not that seemed to work better than anything but never was able to keep them completely away.  They really did a job on all our landscaping the last two years.  There has been a stray cat we have seen a couple times maybe it is keeping them away.  Last spring we had some hawks flying around and they definitely took care of them.

Our holly bushes (we have nine) look terrible this year. Don't know what happen but they look like they are dying off.  Some have a few healthy leaves but not many.

GOOD LUCK!

The rabbits have drove hubby and I crazy the last two years.  This year we have two so far and the only thing they are going after is a rose shrub but we have been able to keep them on the move. We tried everything we could but nothing seemed to work.  I did try dial soap in a knee hi stocking, tied them toward the bottom of the tree and believe it or not that seemed to work better than anything but never was able to keep them completely away.  They really did a job on all our landscaping the last two years.  There has been a stray cat we have seen a couple times maybe it is keeping them away.  Last spring we had some hawks flying around and they definitely took care of them.

Our holly bushes (we have nine) look terrible this year. Don't know what happen but they look like they are dying off.  Some have a few healthy leaves but not many.

GOOD LUCK!

Take a cutting, put it in a plastic sealed bag with a slightly damp paper towel and send it to the Jefferson County Master Gardeners.  Jefferson County Cooperative Extension. Parker P Blood Block 180 Main Street Brookville, PA 15825-1234. Phone: 814-849-7361.  They can tell you what's wrong for sure.  I'd hate to lose that many Hollys.

If you can't drop it off or don't want to send it then I can pick it up from you and drop it off there next week.

There was a lot of winter kill last winter and that late spring mess didn't help. This is the first time ever that the bleeding heart flowers got frozen. (Believe it or not they are starting to bloom again!) Someone gave me three Oregon holly bushes that got badly frosted. They are less hardy than the regular ones though. It's possible that all you have is winter/dessication damage. Watch the new leaves; if they continue to be healthy there isn't a disease present. If it happens on the new leaves then you've got a problem.

Soap and stuff works for awhile and then the little buggers get accustomed to it. Keep switching what you use or use something that is a bad irritant like ammonia or bleach. If you work with the principle that an animal's nose is its most sensitive  part you can't go too wrong. I still think physical barriers work best and once they are in place you don't have to bother anymore.

Yes, that's how they start them at commercial nurseries.  You can take a cutting from a lot of different shrubs or trees and if you do it right you will have a very small shrub the next spring.  However you have to overwinter them for a couple of years to get a strong larger shrub like you would buy at a store.  That takes at least one winter of a protected nursery location and probably two.  Then there are softwood and hardwood cuttings which makes it even more complicated.  

We're working on lots of different cuttings this year and it's looking good for very small shrubs to sell at the plant sale next spring.  It takes time and patience!

Is it possible to get a Rhody to start from a cutting?

Here's the easy way to do it. Take a lower branch and scratch off some of the bark. Now dig a shallow hole and stick the roughened part in the hole. Pin it down so it doesn't move and mulch over it. It will eventually root. It's not a quick process but you will have a sturdy little shrub eventually.