GoDuBois.com

What should I plant here?

eimilesmom

I have a new little fountain, the two openings next to the place the water pours into are for plants. Covered porch, partial shade. There is a lot of splash over from the fountain so whatever I plant will get a good bit of water. Suggestions? My only guess is that ferns would do well but I really want flowers.  

fountain_9564.jpg

Guest madre

That was gonna be my suggestion, but I don't think they like a lot of water.  I could be wrong.

Lillies?

You are going to want to stick with houseplants. Something that stays small and needs limited space for roots. Small ferns would do well. It would be a great place for orchids. Any small scale hanging plants except the succulents would probably do well. Humidity would be too high for them. Small scale ivies would work as they like high humidity. There is a plant called Baby's Tears which would be beautiful. They love hight humidity and I've never been able to grow them but always wanted too. It's a creeper.

If the little pots really get a lot of water and don't drain you might want to check with your local nursery for actual water plants.

Those pots are too small for most outdoor plants that would normally be planted in wet conditions.

A Peace Lily can actually be set in the water or beside it to be splashed and will like the moisture.  Maybe an Impatiens (not the New Guinea Hybrid Impatiens) in the other side for color?  They like it shadier and moister.

• 3 weeks later...

OK this is what I ended up with. I just potted it so I'll post a picture quickly before it all dies, since all plants that I touch seem to die a quick death. I'm not even sure what the green stuff hanging down is but I did a good job of getting it covered in dirt:

misc_from_camera_111_1004.jpg

OK this is what I ended up with. I just potted it so I'll post a picture quickly before it all dies, since all plants that I touch seem to die a quick death. I'm not even sure what the green stuff hanging down is but I did a good job of getting it covered in dirt:

looks good!! Deadhead the flowers and they will bloom all summer and most of the fall.