GoDuBois.com

tulips

tuangels

While out enjoying the sun this afternoon, I noticed that my tulips are starting to poke their little selves out of the ground.  It is too early for this right?  I am afraid that all my backbreaking work last fall will amount to stunted or frozen stems, not the glorious, drifts of tulips that I envisioned....is there anyhing I can do, or will Mother Nature just have to take her course?

The shallower they are planted the more likely they are to break dormancy early.  They will probably be fine although they may not survive for as many years as those planted deeper and fed properly.  You might try piling some mulch over them now, then transplanting them deeper after they bloom.

argghhh, thought I got them planted deep enough...maybe the ground heaved...followed the planting directions...not looking forward to replanting them, but will if I must...hope some of them will get a chance to bloom  :(

There won't be a problem unless the  buds freeze. The flower bud has been formed the year before so nothing but actual freezing of the flower buds can affect the production of flowers. It is very unlikely that the flower buds of tulips will be up in time to freeze. I've had daffs ruined by cold but never tulips. I wouldn't worry about it.

You probably planted deeply enough but the ground sank. Tamping the ground is important to minimize sinking. Over the years the bulbs seem to get deeper. It's probably natural mulching from leaves and whatever.

Spring bulbs are almost indestructible by cold.

Lucky you! I can't even see ground let alone bulbs.

While out enjoying the sun this afternoon, I noticed that my tulips are starting to poke their little selves out of the ground.  It is too early for this right?  I am afraid that all my backbreaking work last fall will amount to stunted or frozen stems, not the glorious, drifts of tulips that I envisioned....is there anyhing I can do, or will Mother Nature just have to take her course?

they are probably ok

Oh I wish I could see my tulips poking their heads up!

Hubby measured the snow this morning on top of the one flower bed...29 freaking inches still left to melt!

We still have snow up the ying yang, ugh!

But anyway, hasn't the sun been totally wonderful?

I'm so very happy the last couple of days, I feel normal!

I could dance on top of a table, it's just so absolutely, freaking wonderful to see the sun shine for more than a few minutes.

I predict that we will have a great spring, summer and fall this year. We so deserve it, lol!

I thought you meant the actual bulbs! :-) Duh!

Yep, if it's just the greenery then they'll take care of themselves.  But do be sure to plant them as deep as you can reach.  I try to get mine down as far as 8 inches underground and some of them have been coming back for many years.  I've never had a problem with them coming up too early that they froze but I have had them with so much snow on them that they bent over.

we have very little snow left here, and what we have are small piles from where it was shoveled. The only part of the driveway that has ice on it is next to the shed where hardly any sun hits it at all.

Y'all can actually see your flower beds? I'm amazed because mine are so, so covered with snow!

Yeah, I'll bet there are still a couple of feet where it hasn't been shoveled. The are evergreen bushes just beginning to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

My daffodils and narcissus have buds on them and tulips are leaves only.  With the weather forcast for the next couple nights (15-25 and possible snow - yuk!) in DuBois would it be recommended to cover? Would that even help?

Snow or cold won't hurt the tulips or daffs but the crocuses that are in bloom are going to be history.

thanks. for some reason only one of my crocuses came back this year so no loss. any guesses why they didn't?

My Crocuses have just bloomed and they are beautiful.  They are about ten or more years old and I also have a ton of Hyacinths that I can't wait to smell which are up about three inches.  There's a lot of tulips too.  The next couple of weeks should be beautiful.

thanks. for some reason only one of my crocuses came back this year so no loss. any guesses why they didn't?

Squirrels, voles, maybe even chipmunks. Lots of things like to eat bulbs. Daffodils are the only thing that is not eaten and that is because they are poisonous. I love daffs!