GoDuBois.com

Spike Grasses

wonderer

I have been trying to learn more about ornamental grasses...my understanding is that some of them grow in neat clumps and need to be split like pampas (though I have never split my pampas grass ) and others spread by root and the new shoots need to be pulled up if unwanted (like my blue festuca). Correct?

I don't know of any of the big ornamental grasses that spread by runners. The clumps just keep getting bigger depending on how happy they are. Sometimes I think it is better to not make them too happy as when it comes time to divide them it takes a strong man with an ax and a sturdy shovel. Mine fall aver in the fall if they are not divided periodically. They should all be cut back or burned back in the spring. Burning them is a sight to see!

They do seed themselves but if you have more than one kind of grass you will get all sorts of mongrels. They just looooooove growing at the edge of cement where you can't get all of the roots out.

Personally, I've never seen blue fescue spread by runner. I did have it seed all over the place once.

I've seen some of the larger older grasses begin to grow in a ring with the center empty but I imagine it's because the soil is exhausted there.  Dig then first thing in the spring before they start to grow and divide them.  I've never seen any really get out of hand.

The ones on the embankment need dug out and reset with fertilizer because they are simply too old and the soil may have also built up around the crown.  But otherwise they almost live forever!  I don't think there's an ornamental grass I don't like.

a very generous friend gave us 3 clumps of zebra grass this spring.  it's growing like crazy.  our pampas grass now has an empty center thanks to some ants.  guess they figured it was a nice cozy safe place that we wouldn't find until fall.  >:(

I think that they all die from the center out. If you could get the dead stuff out they would probably fill back in but getting it out wouldn't be easy. The dead mat in there keeps new shoots from the live parts from growing back in.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any of the big ornamental grasses that spread by runners. The clumps just keep getting bigger depending on how happy they are. Sometimes I think it is better to not make them too happy as when it comes time to divide them it takes a strong man with an ax and a sturdy shovel. Mine fall aver in the fall if they are not divided periodically. They should all be cut back or burned back in the spring. Burning them is a sight to see!

They do seed themselves but if you have more than one kind of grass you will get all sorts of mongrels. They just looooooove growing at the edge of cement where you can't get all of the roots out.

Personally, I've never seen blue fescue spread by runner. I did have it seed all over the place once.

My mom nearly, and I mean very nearly, burned our house down burning pampas grass :) We just cut ours with electric hedge trimmers - my husband likes to do it actually, he thinks it's ugly and seems to enjoy "killing it" but of course it comes back every year.

I think it is nice, so if any of you have some you would like to share, I would be glad to take it off of your hands, otherwise I will buy some next year. Love the look of it.

Me too! Will trade some hostas for some grass!!  ;)

I should have a ton of it to sell at the BUDS plant sale next May. I'm having a guy come with a small backhoe and lift the whole thing at one time.  Then most of it will be potted up and one small section will be returned to that spot.  If anyone has potted perennials to donate then just let me know.

Are you kidding?  I forget everything!  Just remember that the sale is always the last weekend of May, and ther may be one before or after that.  It depends on the last frost date and how mature the plants are.