GoDuBois.com

Keeping the Critters Away From the Garden

nails4u2c

I am thinking ahead about garden season. We are planning on a tiered garden this year, maybe four levels. My question to you is...What have you found that helps to keep all the critters away (large and small) I have used spinners and aluminum plates that bang and blow in the wind (my back yard looks like a carnival) and that seemed to help the year before last, but last year we put a fence up and I think the animals thought it was for them to graze in.

Any great new ideas or suggestions?

We find that ammonia works well. We tie bits of cloth at nose level and keep them sprayed or put it in plastic bottles with holes in the top part. So far liquid fence has kept the deer away from my crocuses this year. The renewal rate is less often.

• 1 month later...

planting marigolds keep the bugs and critters out of ours. we did a border around the garden. Course when it was time to pull the seeds we had two five gallon buckets of just seeds no seed pods just seeds. Anybody and everybody that had marigolds for miles around  had seeds from us. lol

Guest JenMc32

Human hair works well on deer and other animals.  Tie it out on stakes in small nets near the garden....my dad swears by it.  You can get it by calling about any salon and asking them to save you some of their clippings.

Well I sprayed all my plants with a mixture of hot sauce, beaten eggs, and garlic. Sprinkled Blood Meal around the edge of the garden. Then I covered them with sheets and pillowcases in case of frost. I can't wait to uncover them this morning (after 8am) to see if I succeeded in keeping them safe. LOL Non-gardeners at work can't understand why I care so much. It's only a few plants. It is not like I have a farm. LOL There is just something so great about picking a tomato out of your own yard and sitting there with a saltshacker.......................

Oh yeah, I also planted Marigolds. LOL

Guest snellma

Marigolds won't work where we live.  I planted them in my porch boxes this year and something is eating them.

I don't have amonia. Would bleach work? I just fed the chipmunks 7 tomato plants last night and I don't want to do that all summer!

Probably anything with a really strong odor works. Ammonia is as irritating to animals as it is to people so the never lose their fear of it as they sometimes do with other things. Bleach should probably work too but be really careful with it. Ammonia seems to be fairly harmless to plants. I think bleach would not be.

The best thing is that fine plastic netting. I stretched it over all of the broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage transplants this and I haven't lost one so far. I usually have to replant most of them.

I've also used chicken wire, tomato cages laid end to end, tents build with plant trays and milk jugs with the bottoms cut out. Actually tomatoes and peppers grow very well in the latter for awhile. Take off the lid for ventilation.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been brushing the dog the past few weeks and putting the hair around the edges of the garden and have not had anything bothering it since.  I have watched the deer come within 20 feet but back off after getting a nosefull of dog.   :)

I put a 2 foot rabbit fence around mine then a 5 foot plastic fence and so far so good this year but I have had deer jump the fence in the past and it does not take them long to destroy a lot of hard work

This is our second year of using Liquid Fence on my flower beds, it's worked great. Though the price went up this year. I buy the concentrated because it is much cheaper to mix it yourself. We have to have an electric fence for the veggie garden or we'd be spending way too much on Liquid Fence.