GoDuBois.com

Poppies

steelnut

Does anyone know much about them?

I've now fallen inlove with poppies in addition to lilys and daisys, lol!

I haven't been able to find any poppies locally, but I've been checking them out on-line. I love the deep orange ones, just beautiful! I have to get some...  :)

I think poppies are hard to buy in pots because, in my experience, they disappear soon after they bloom. This makes it hard to pot them up for shipping.

I've got the red ones that were given to me as a bunch of half dead roots. There was no foliage on them for the entire summer but they came up the next year. So if you do buy them and they disappear don't be discouraged. They will be back next summer.

If you decide to try them from seed get the seed out asap. I have a friend who used to plant them on the last snow of the season, the "onion snow".

We had a lot of them for sale at the plant sale. There should be ton of poppies all over DuBois!  I think we had red, orange and Apricot in different varieties.

They all go dormant soon after they set their seed (maybe July?) which makes it look like they died completely.  However, they're not dead, just hibernating till spring....kind of like Daffodils.

If you take the dried seed head, crumble it around the mother plant and let that area alone, they will start to come back late in the fall as very small plants.  You can also set deep soil-filled pots in that area and you may end up with some in pots to transplant.  Moving a year old poppy can be very frustrating as they have LONG deep roots and it's very difficult to dig them without breaking it.  Then they do die.