GoDuBois.com

Start Those Seeds!

lavender

Here are a few seed starting charts if you are a newbie at starting seeds or if you have some weird seeds this year. What I find handy is the time it takes to germinate column. At least you know when seeds are way past their date to germinate so you can evaluate your options. (Dump them or pray! Or maybe go look to see if you should have done something different)

The first two are your average seeds. The third one is the best but you have to know the Latin names of the plants. I downloaded it and printed it years ago for fear it would disappear but it is still there although I think this is an updated version.

Happy planting! Can't wait for my seeds!

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/h1139w.htm

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/seed_starting_calendar.html

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/seeds.htm

Still waiting for mine! It is taking an awfully long time this year. I went out yesterday and bought some just so I have something to play with. I'm going to try getting some of the annuals in a little early this year just to see what happens. Going to plant the leeks tomorrow.

We started our seeds last Sunday. By wednesday they were all coming up even the peppers!!! Today they are at least 3" tall. If it keeps this up we'll have to transplant them in the bathtub til planting lol. We planted, peppers, tomatoes,cabbage, canteloupe and flower seeds.

I've got a crazy and thoroughly unscientific theory about seeds. They are like Punxsutawney Phil; seeds popping up in just a few days means there is going to be an early spring. When they drag their feet (roots?) spring drags along as well. Looks like your seeds are predicting an early spring! Tell them thank you from me.

I put in leeks and some perennial seeds last night. Going to do some annuals tonight and then that is it for a couple of weeks. I find that plants that are too big when I put them out don't do as well at first as the smaller ones but then I have to carry water for a long way and I don't do too much of that.

Got them! Forgot to order late cabbage though, dang! I only order the tried and true varieties that I like and a few odd things. The rest I buy locally. No point in ordering Blue Lake bush beans from a catlogue.

My Blue Lake bush beans didn't come in with my order I got today. Would you mind sharing where you get yours in case I don't get them from the company I ordered them from?

Agway has the biggish (half pound, I think) bags of them and Kohlhepp's usually has them in bulk. They sell them by the scoop.  Hanzley's has bulk seed too but I wouldn't swear to the Blue Lake bush beans. Usually any place that sells veggie seeds will have the small packets as they are the standard bean for this area.

I am hoping t get ours started this week. Maybe we can get to it tomorrow. Geeze Louise, I can't belive my son hasn't been bugging me!! We forgot all about it!

What will you be starting?

Probably the broccoli and cauliflower this week. In another week or two we might start some of the other things. My MIL just built a greenhouse last year, she has had a few strawberries and my son has a pretty big sunflower plant. They are just experimenting with last years leftovers.

• 2 weeks later...

Help! I need therapy. I just realized that I have 6 kinds of tomato seeds and 4 kinds of cabbage. I can't stop!

glad i am not the pnly one!LOL

i am gonna trade plants with my mom and sister.plus i can sell a few @ work.my hubby says my dining room looks like a greenhouse!

I think I am going to need a whole acre this year, lol. Our broccoli is getting really tall and spindley. I should have taken it to my MIL's, she has the lights. But I wanted to let the kids watch it grow daily, since they did the seeds. Will it still get thicker and be plantable?? (My mother in law said she thought it was growing up to get to the light.)

It's probably too late to save them now so start a few more Broccoli and keep them in a really cool room once they sprout.  They need a lot of light but you can buy a shop light and put one gorw light and one fluorescent in it.  Maybe your basement?

You only put them in a few weeks ago, yes? I'd say get them under lights and they should be OK. Even if they fall over they will continue to grow from the top part once you give them enough light. Then you put them in deeper when you put them outside.  

I'm going to have enough broccoli and cauliflower for half the town so not to worry. The first batch of Snow Crown Hybrid and Premium Crop Hybrid are starting to sprout. I put in the Farmer's Extra Early and the Hybrid Green Magic in today.

My seeds are coming along slowly. My daughter planted one soybean and it is huge. Go figure :)

My daughter is still telling me about the year she tossed baby's breath seeds along the edge of my veggie garden and had them germinate and bloom. I'd been trying for years to get them to grow.

Then there was the raspberry bush she insisted on having. Bramble diseases from the wild ones had polished off everything I ever tried to plant. Hers is still growing and thriving. It has sent up runners all over my spring garden and produces quarts of raspberries every year.

It's kind of like the Luck o'the Irish.  

I left my terrarium lid on too long and basically everything but the soybean and the tomatoes got fungus and fell over and died :(

Sorry to hear that. I don't remember those big terrariums getting that humid. I always sprinkle some peat moss on the surface of my flats. It keeps the damping off fungus in check.

Oh my! Did you have it in the sun? You should never keep a terrarium in the sun. And those plastic boxes or freezer bag covered containers that are so good to start seeds in should never be in the sun either. Gives the seedlings the plant equivalent of a heat stroke.

I spent most of Sunday opening the bags and boxes and moving them to a sunnier spot. The Osage orange seeds that I planted have come up. I'm so excited!