GoDuBois.com

Double Morning Glories

lavender

Has anyone ever grown them? Does anyone in the DuBois area get any kind of morning glories to grow and bloom? They grew in Pittsburgh for me but I've had little luck with them here.

I did buy seeds from 'Picotee Blue' because they were there and who could resist it? This is the picture from off the packet but I see there are also pictures on the net that have a kind of red star in the middle and some that are double but without the white edging. Guess the seed isn't stable. Just wondering if anyone ever grew them and what they were really like.

I only have about 10 seeds but I'm willing to send a couple to one of you in the south if you want to do a trial run.

picotee_3038.jpg

That is pretty!!! I have grown regular morning glories and they bloomed, but they really aren't all that interesting to me. I like vibrant colors, and things that are different ... if that makes sence.

Morning glories seem to have gotten a lot more interesting lately. Look at this one; it is called tie-dyed. http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/3308

And this one. it's called 'Chocolate'. Picture below. They are calling these different colors and patterns Japanese morning glories. When I have some time I'm going to dig deeper into where the come from and what they are. What excitement!  Right now I have to go plant more seeds. There is about a foot of space left. LOL!

And thanks for the thumbs up on getting them to bloom around here.

mg_2156.jpg

I absolutely love that!!!!

I got a few "old fashioned" purple and pink seeds from my mother years ago. I collected the seeds at the end of the season faithfully. Two years ago, I decided to do red, white and blue morning glories and didn't plant my purple and pink. The red, white and blue ones didn't thrive so now I only have purple and pink seeds that are 3 years old.  Do you think they will grow? I found seed packets close to what I had, but want my mom's old faithful's back.

I got a few "old fashioned" purple and pink seeds from my mother years ago. I collected the seeds at the end of the season faithfully. Two years ago, I decided to do red, white and blue morning glories and didn't plant my purple and pink. The red, white and blue ones didn't thrive so now I only have purple and pink seeds that are 3 years old.  Do you think they will grow? I found seed packets close to what I had, but want my mom's old faithful's back.

Take about 6 seeds from each packet taking care not to mix them up.  Nick the seed coat of each one with a nail file or a nail clipper so there is a teeny opening for water to enter.  Soak them for a couple of hours, then roll or fold them in a damp paper towel.  Mark the towel first with the name of the seed or put a plastic plant marker in each baggie.  Put the three paper towels in a sealed sandwich bag and put it in an upper cabinet of your house.  Check for life in about 6 days or every other day there after.  If there are any sprouts then you know that some of them are still alive.  

If you get one out six then you know that not many will still sprout.  Plant six times as many as you want to get plants.  If all six sprouted then plant two times as many.

If I remember correctly it takes 4-6 weeks to start them if you want to set them outside as plants, so if you do this at the beginning of May then you might have some to set out.  Otherwise you can just dump each color where you want them and have feast or famine.  Store any remaining seeds in the refrigerator in a sealed jar.  Your seeds will have a much longer life.  

Morning glories are direct descendants of bindweed. That is the horrible vine with the white flowers that is nearly impossible to get rid of. The seeds of bindweed are reported to remain viable in the soil for 50 years. I don't think that 3 years is going to have much effect on morning glory seeds. Tomato seeds are good for a minimum of 4 years.

When I was a kid we had the purple morning glories and they reseeded every year. The older varieties are probably easier to germinate than the modern varieties. Because I have so few of the "Picotee" I've been reading about germination tricks. One suggestion besides the usual nicking and soaking in water is to soak them in a 50/50 or 25/75% solution of peroxide and water. It supposedly removes germination inhibitors as well as softening the coat. A seed that will lie dormant in the soil for up to 50 years must have some kind of germination inhabiter as well as a water impervious coat.

Give them a try. From what I'm reading you don't want to start them too soon if you are going to do them indoors. The pack says 4-6 weeks. I'm going to try the Picotee in pots so they are going in sooner.

Good luck with it. I'd hate to see you lose heirloom seeds.

Wow they are gorgeous, but the deer would eat them like crazy here. They eat everything.

Never thought about the deer. I'm thinking of putting them in a big iron kettle on my porch. They can twine around the railing. Can deer walk up steps? The seeds are supposed to have a similar effect to LSD if ingested. (Haven't checked this out!) so if your deer start acting weird you'll know what it is.

I have planted morning glory's for the last 3 years in front of my house and they are absoutly beautiful I plant them from the packages. I do put about 6 packs in each year. I will send you a picture of them if I still have picture in album.