GoDuBois.com

First Frost!

Petee

Our area will be getting it's first serious frost in the next day or so, so start getting your tender plants back into the house or a protective garage.  I take mine to the picnic table under the deck roof and right outside of the back door.  They get treated for insects, cleaned up (check the bottoms for spiders and earwigs), trimmed and washed.  Then they come in when the first frost appears.

It"s sad but it's fun too to see how much they grew through the summer.

I have a Hibiscus tree that never goes out (fewer bugs) and now it flowers through the winter and just grows during the summer.  It's so nice to get up in the morning and count how many flowers are budding that day.

Sorry you guys are expecting your first frost.  I am expecting beans and squash soon from my second planting.  I planted some butternut squash for the first time.  They are coming along a lot slower so hopefully I will be able to get something off of them.

Sorry you guys are expecting your first frost.

I'm looking forward to it. Fall is the best time of the year and I really do not mind winter. Hope we have a lot of snow this winter.

Channel 10 news has been pushing the frost info but with all the cloud cover for the next few days we may yet escape for a while.  I think the latest frost I can remember was Oct 10.

Hasn't this been a nice fall so far?

Sorry you guys are expecting your first frost.  I am expecting beans and squash soon from my second planting.  I planted some butternut squash for the first time.  They are coming along a lot slower so hopefully I will be able to get something off of them.

When do you harvest butternut squash? That's one of my favorite vegetables.  You can make so many great fall recipes with it.

When do you harvest butternut squash? That's one of my favorite vegetables.  You can make so many great fall recipes with it.

We got ours in yesterday. I leave them on as long as I can so they are good and hard. I've found that a light frost doesn't hurt them but I wouldn't want to let them out in a heavy freeze. They keep best at regular basement temperatures. The year I put them in the colder fruit cellar they didn't do too well.

Guest snellma

My mom and dad used to grow them but I never paid attention to when they picked them.  I have 2 plants that grew so hopefully I will get something off of them.  I just picked my first batch of beans yesterday so we had them with our chicken I did on the grill.  They were so yummy!!!  If we soon don't get some rain I am going to have to water the garden as my yellow squash are looking a little wilty.