GoDuBois.com

I need help, suggestions...anything!

steelnut

Guest Tracy96

I used to use the soap and it did seem to work for deer. It is hard to tell as they come and go. I think that dead is the only solution to groundhogs. A couple of nights ago one ate off my Osteospermum. It was two feet tall and gorgeous. I'm not given to paying much for annuals but this was too pretty to resist. All that was left were two inch stem and a couple of buds left on the ground. This was within a couple of yards of my kitchen window.  Grrrrrr!

I think if you shoot the groundhog you're supposed to place the dead body into the opening of his hole (if you know where it is).  I'm not sure why, maybe it lets his friends know that it's time to move out....lol

I've been so busy that I just got the Liquid Fence today, and wouldn't you know it, it's supposed to rain for what, 3 or 4 straight days?!?

Lavender, sorry to hear about what those darned groundhogs did! I like critters, I really do, but God how I hate when they destroy my posies!!!! Back around 12 years ago, we quit having a garden for two years because the deer totally destroyed everything in it. I moped around long enough that hubby got busy and put up the electric fence. Now we're fine with the veggies, but I don't want to put electric fences up all around the flower beds that we've been making, wouldn't that be a sight?

That's the problem anything that keeps the critters off ruins the look of your garden. (You should see what we have around the veggie garden!) You can't put wire cages over everything. I've got some new varieties of daylilies this year that are just going into bud and if the deer get them before I see them bloom I'm going to be very angry. I sprayed today with an egg, garlic, hot pepper mix today but the rain will take it off.

I found the Liquid Fence at K-mart but it is such a small bottle. I need the concentrate because I'll be using gallons. I'm going to have to get out to DuBois Feeds or Agway.

Well, since today is the only day that everything has dried up since I bought the Liquid Fence, I finally sprayed....

OMG, it definitely stinks! I had the boys all day and they were laughing their little butts off at me out there gagging and coughing. Whew, I can see why it could work.

Watch your dogs if you have any. Our friend sprayed it and the dogs rolled in it. I've got netting all over the veggies. Very hard to pick peas through netting. Got about a half an hour of light left. Off to tackle more weeds.  

Watch your dogs if you have any. Our friend sprayed it and the dogs rolled in it. I've got netting all over the veggies. Very hard to pick peas through netting. Got about a half an hour of light left. Off to tackle more weeds.  

No dogs.

The worst thing was that I somehow got it on my hands! It's funny now, but at the time, ugh! I have to pick peas sometime today if I get off this computer and get started on my windows, I may have time later.  :)

OMG! I stopped by the walled bed next to Penn State today and thought somebody had been in there with a back hoe. I looked closer and found two huge holes either of which you could have put a medium sized dog into. Mr. Groundhog strikes again. The thing must be huge and can it move dirt! The daylilies were buried six inches deeper than they had been. It kind of messed up the plants but did less damage than I would have expected for a monster hog.

Filled in the holes and dug out the daylilies. The double "Knock Out" rose that I was going to put in is still in its pot. No point in providing more rose salad for Mr.

Hog.

Well, since today is the only day that everything has dried up since I bought the Liquid Fence, I finally sprayed....

OMG, it definitely stinks! I had the boys all day and they were laughing their little butts off at me out there gagging and coughing. Whew, I can see why it could work.

I ran out to DuBois Feed and Grain today and got the concentrate. Lady just laughed when I said I needed something to keep groundhogs away. She did say she sold a lot of the Liquid Fence.

I'm going to give it a try as soon as we get a dry day. I'm sure the coyote urine and Critter Ridder (pepper based stuff) that I've mentioned that I've been using on the other end had something to do with them moving down that-a-way. (Two prong attack. You dispense the coyote urine is small ventilated bottles to establish a perimeter and put the Critter Ridder around the plants to make the more adventuresome ones sneeze. Actually fox urine is supposed to work better with groundhogs but I couldn't find any.) Never really had anything eaten off in there before. Of course there wasn't much in there that groundhogs liked until we renovated it a couple of years ago. Believe it or not there are things Mr. G won't eat.

Keep us posted on whether it works on your critters and I'll let you know if  it works on mine. Deer get the daylilies most years so I can check it out on them.

I replanted the sunflowers that the darn deer ate and they're about 4" tall now. I sprayed the heck out of them with Liquid Fence, so we'll see.

The deer are just getting so much bolder now out here! Hubby and I worked our butts off for the last five days planting, weeding, mowing, yada, yada..and tonight while we were taking a much deserved break on the back porch, two doe crossed the road and headed straight for one of my flower beds...well I startd screaming at them to shooo, they stopped and looked at me like, yeah right! I had to get off my butt and chase them off. Hubby said I should have let them go to see if the Liquid Fence really works...I have a feeling that I'll find out tonight if it works....crossing my fingers and toes...  :)

The groundhog crossed the Liquid Fence line last night to eat off some margarite daises. The daisies weren't sprayed as nothing has ever bothered them before. I put out some red fox urine that I got at the Hazen Flea Market. Gosh, does it stink! Not like the stuff you buy at Agway. It was bagged in 5 bags and you could still smell it.

The groundhog crossed the Liquid Fence line last night to eat off some margarite daises. The daisies weren't sprayed as nothing has ever bothered them before. I put out some red fox urine that I got at the Hazen Flea Market. Gosh, does it stink! Not like the stuff you buy at Agway. It was bagged in 5 bags and you could still smell it.

I was at the flea market and didn't see that, do you remember where abouts it was?

Lol, I resprayed the Liquid Fence this evening and lucky me...as I was breathing through my mouth to avoid gagging and spraying away to beat the band, a nice little breeze came on and I got it back drafted all over me! I finished spraying and immediately hopped in the shower, my God that stuff stinks!  

We parked at the farthest parking lot on the left, walked back into the market past the man selling rugs. I got it not too far after that at a booth on the right. It was somebody's trapping supplies. It is on the bottle but it is stashed in the fruit cellar inside another jar. It was 16 oz for $6.50. This is a heck of a lot less than I paid for the first bottle which was only about 4 oz. I think it was $12 or something like that. It was not as stinky though. This stuff is apparently for trappers. It should really be ripe by next spring. It makes the liquid fence smell like air freshener.

I'm wondering what could be found on the internet. How to make friends at the post office!

Go to the barber shop and get a bag of human hair, I know for a fact it will keep out rabbits, deer, and groundhogs. Just place a few hairs about 3 feet apart around your garden or flower bed. Then about once a week do it again...works like a champ. A good .22 rifle works too if your not in a populated area.

Go to the barber shop and get a bag of human hair, I know for a fact it will keep out rabbits, deer, and groundhogs. Just place a few hairs about 3 feet apart around your garden or flower bed. Then about once a week do it again...works like a champ. A good .22 rifle works too if your not in a populated area.

I'll give it a try. I'm going to wait a week and fill the hole in again. See if he has vacated. I don't think his hole smells very good tonight.

I've never had much luck with Liquid Fence with the rabbits.  In fact couple weeks ago (when I knew there wouldn't be any rain) I really sprayed everything, came down off our embankment, went into the garage to put it away and hubby said look....there was mommy rabbit and the three babies eating one of our Arctic Willows right where I sprayed.  I do spread D-con around the embankment (where ever I know our dog won't get into it) to take care of the chippies (they are snapping the buds off our rose shrubs and day lilies).  Other day went to the store (gone 15 mins) came home and out in back yard....4 rabbits, 6 chippies and a squirrel. They are driving us nuts.  And no we don't live in TL we live right in town!:rofl: