GoDuBois.com

Moonflower seeds

tipcat

I bought a seed packet of these in 2006. I planted them in April(?) and all was well. As it turned out, they didn't make it -my fault. I tried again, but nothing sprouted. Will those seeds be good to try again next spring? Otherwise, I would love to try with yours. Are they the seeds you need to nick before you plant them?

I don't nick mine.  When the pods open, I just scatter the seeds around.  I have also done this in the fall.  The first year I planted, I learned not to pull up the whole plant.  I don't know about the bought seed packets.  I have always started my plants with seeds from the plant the following year.  You can just let the pods open wherever you plant them and they will replant themselves.

The moonflower seeds are listed as seeds that have to be "stratified" or subjected to a cold period before they germinate. Anyone who has grown them knows that they will sprout in the pot or ground the same year or even next year without being subjected to cold. They will often come back the next year even if you do nothing or just scatter them in the fall as tipcat says.

All I can say for sure is that fresh seed from your own plant will germinate better than bought seed. I usually have small plants in the spring if anyone wants them.

• 7 months later...

When should we  begin to see these little plants popping out of the ground?  My plant was huge last year and I scattered all the seeds.  The purple one my friend bought from Lavender didn't get as large, but I scattered those seeds as well...I am getting anxious for my flowers...

I WANT THEM NOW!!!!!  

The germination rate of moonflowers is very erratic. I find that fresh seed germinates right in the pot. Dormant seed is harder to germinate. Stratification used to be suggested to break dormancy but it doesn't really seem to be necessary.

Give them a try. Keep them very warm and moist and if nothing germinates I'll bet I have some seedlings come up somewhere.

VP....sprinkle them around now.  They will still grow.  When you think you are going to get nothing you notice little things coming up.  I know my first year they were late to come up but I did get them.  I got seeds off of a neighbor.  Now I have too many seeds and nowhere to plant them.  

Moonflower as in the annual vine or the one that grows up from the ground and reseeds itself?  There is a mixed bag of plants when it comes to calling something Moonflower Angel's Trumpet or Devil's Trumpet.

More info?

If we do Community Days this year we will probably have some that we give out free. I think that is where you got the purple ones last year. We gave a bunch to a lady who I think is a friend of yours. She checked everything we had and said that they were all purple but there should have been some of the big white ones. I'll make sure there are this year.

The pictures of the very large purple ones that I have seen are gorgeous. Unfortunately they are not what I have. These are a small purple flower that is a very prolific reseeder. It came in a packet of white ones or maybe it was a mixed packet. There will probably be tons of seedlings as usual. They are pretty but not stunning.

Moonflower as in the annual vine or the one that grows up from the ground and reseeds itself?  There is a mixed bag of plants when it comes to calling something Moonflower Angel's Trumpet or Devil's Trumpet.

More info?

As in the large "plant" that grows the huge white flowers and the spiny little balls of seeds.  I have seeds for the vine that I will plant in front of my tree limbs around my porch......

I just picked a bunch of the bulbs that the seeds are in.  Does anyone want any?  PM me your address and I will send you some in the mail  when they are dried out.

I would love to try them.  I sent you a pm.....  We've been trying to add some color around the landscaping.  I actually had some old dried up bulbs from some Easter flowers a few years back that I found out in the shed, and thought, well it can't hurt.  So I dug a hole, buried them a few weeks ago, and it looks like there is one coming up.....  So, any seeds that people want to get rid of, send them my way, and I'll try them.  Thanks....

OK then you're looking for Datura-Devil's Trumpet that grows about 2 feet tall and has a beautiful white flower that looks up. It's extremely toxic to dogs, cats and children so we don't sell them.  You may be able to find some seeds or seed heads locally but remember that this plant only grows right out in your garden where it is nearly impossible to keep it away from pets and kids.  Teens like to find it and use it as a hallucinogenic but it can easily cause major brain damage or death.  http://www.desertusa.com/aug97/du_datura.html

Angel's Trumpet, Brugmansia looks down (from Heaven) also toxic but not nearly as bad as Devil's Trumpet, so be sure to keep it away from little teeth too.  This grows indoor in the winter and outdoors in the summer.

Also there is a fragrant vine that is called Moonflower.  http://www.angelfire.com/ia/moonflowers/description.htm

I will have both Brugmansia and Moonflower vine at the BUDS plant sale.  

brugmansiar_3221.jpg