GoDuBois.com

Rumbarger Cemetery Dedication Picture

Here is a picture of the " Dedication of G. A. R. Circle and Unveiling of Monument and Tablet... May 30, 1928 " at Rumbarger Cemetery. Anyone know any of these people??? I hope this comes thru, 1st time posting a picture. I found the original picture in an old box of "junk" and, after making a few copies, that original now safely resides with the DuBois Area Historical Society.

rumbarger_dedication_001_1888.jpg

Thanks!  I'm going to have to investigate!

I have a fairly large collection of GAR memoriabilia including a ribbon that says DuBois, PA on it.  It looks like it "could" be GAR but it also could be another benevolent organization.  IIRC, it does have a post number on, so, as I said, I'll have to investigate.

The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army who had served in the American Civil War. The GAR was among the first organized interest groups in American politics. It was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW).

I just walked up past there, the best I could see without going up in with my dog is the circle sure dosen't look much like that anymore what a shame. The cannonballs are gone, how they were all heaped up in the picture. I was in there last summer and don't seem to remember them there then either. Its too bad no one ever took the time back then to care for the stuff it might still have been there today.

The cannons almost took a ride a couple of years ago!  Someone wanted to sell them to use the money for cemetery maintenance.

If those cannons were placed by the GAR, the ownership of them is probably the US Government and not the cemetery.  Regardless, if these are Civil War vintage, the value of the canons may be very high.

This is yet another reason that a non-profit group should ask the Clearfield County court for permission to oversee the cemetery.  Nothing can be legally done by anyone till that group exists.  However, I had a conversation with one of the Clearfield County judges when I was collecting the information for that cemetery and he thought they would be in agreement with a legally formed organization.  OK, who wants the gavel?

This is yet another reason that a non-profit group should ask the Clearfield County court for permission to oversee the cemetery.  Nothing can be legally done by anyone till that group exists.  However, I had a conversation with one of the Clearfield County judges when I was collecting the information for that cemetery and he thought they would be in agreement with a legally formed organization.  

They need a historian, a grant writer and a lawyer to get started.  That's a president, treasurer and a secretary for a legal governing group.   Then they need a voting membership.

OK, who wants the gavel?

The issue still remains to clarify prior ownership rights.  I would personally love to see Rumbarger returned to it's former glory:  I graduated from Central Christian in 1970 and my school bus stop was directly in front of the cemetery.  40 years ago, Rumbarger was already deteriorating.  It is a shame to see the crypt(cn be seen from Main Street) falling apart in front of our eyes and I would not be surprised to see vandals already entering the building.

That's what I talked to the judge about.  He just wants to see a qualified group step forward to ask for guardianship.  There is no way to OWN it.  The only person who has even a slight chance of being an owner is not interested, I think still lives in Florida and would appreciate a legal entity taking charge of it.  I can supply all the background and contacts should any group be formed.  I would be willing to help but I'm done doing this myself.  It has to be a qualified legal group effort.

1.  Form the group unofficially

2.  Approach the court

3.  Follow through on their recommendations to obtain official authorization to operate the cemetery as a historical site which would not include running it as a business entity.

Anyone willing to help?

I would love to volunteer and help out what I could. My great uncle is buried there.

Then PM  me your contact information and I will put you on the potential volunteers list.  Please add your area of interest and/or organizational skills.  This will be given to any group that succeeds in getting the court approval.

• 2 months later...

Well according to the paper thanks to local teen Ryan Sprague the circle looks like it did in this picture on this thread, great job to who all were involved. also they are having a community clean-up next week  at the cemetary Tues. and Wed. evenings from 6- dark. This is a great thing to try to get it  spruced up for Memorial day. Anyone willing to help clean up on those nights that can bring lawnmowers, weedwackers or just helping hands are encouraged to come out. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is sponcering it I guess. Excellent for all those go-duboisians who said they would help out if someone could start something. Nows the time. I will be there, this is the oldest cemetary in town and really needs fixed up. Hope theres a great turnout. Come on history buffs lets get involved.

Apparently there is a group attempting to create a legal Rumbarger Cemetery maintenance organization.  I was told to contact Ryan Sprague's father.  So if anyone is interested, there's a contact person.

My nephew's Boy Scout troop/pack 26 from Dubois was at the cemetary volunteering yesterday. We cleaned up garbage and pine cones. We also mowed, weed eated, cleaned up garbage, cleaned the side walk among other tasks that needed done. That cemetary is in the neighborhood where I spent some of my youth. It felt good for all of us to pitch in! I hope that more ppl will continue to volunteer their spare time to help.

Volunteers will certainly be appreciated for the clean-up on Wednesday and Thursday or any other time that you might be able to help.  Keep in mind though that it is an old cemetery and there are holes and sunken graves.  You need to be careful where you step.  There are tombstones that are "unstable" as well as some of the walls and please stay clear of the Childs mausoleum.  Just take care and use common sense.  

I was there today, and did clean up around the Child Mouselium, I got the gate closed, and cleaned up the sidewalk area. I was truly amazed at the history of this cemetary, I had no idea. I will do what I can because of my work schedule.

I do wan to add that everything looked so nice, hats off to the man that has been cutting the grass for years, the boyscouts, the volunteers from JC of Latter Day Saints and the young man who did the eagle scout project. You are all my HERO'S for what you have done to make it look like it does, very nice. Thank You for caring.

The cemetery does look great!  There is much more to do but that will take some time and money.  There was quite a crew working Wednesday and Thursday.  Much thanks to Florence Sykes who at 94 years old was raking grass!   Thanks also to Steve Swope and the City of DuBois as they are going to provide Sam Ellzey with gas and oil and help with other projects to make the cemetery more attractive.  I hope that people won't stop coming to help as the grass will keep growing!  Everyone should take time to walk around the cemetery; there's a great view of DuBois from the top!