GoDuBois.com

Neighbors?

Petee

14 minutes ago, Deer Runner said:

A true Christian would not do what you described. I would not want to live near that person either! The 10 commandments were given to the nation of Israel, then are summarized and repeated by Jesus in the New Testament thereby fulfilling those of the Old Testament. However, God recognized that, by virtue of us being sinners, no one can perfectly obey the 10 Commandments, and are thereby in need of Gods perfect and perpetual Mercy and Grace that can only be found by the acceptance, faith and following of Jesus Christ!

Catholic..Confession...I am covered.

1 hour ago, Deer Runner said:

Fair enough. If you feel like debating the Catholic doctrine vs Christianity sometime, let me know. 

Just got yourself crossed off the preferred neighbor list.

To be fair, I baited the hooked.  Got one on the first cast, though wasn't exactly sure who it would be.

Whenever I state I am Catholic, someone feels compelled to want to debate/discuss Catholic teachings.  10 times out of 10, the discussion is meant to point out everything wrong about being Catholic.  Seriously, do you guys all take the same classes?  I could list your probable top 10 points of discussion and get at least 9 of them right.  Typically, you guys will use the same maybe 8 to 12 biblical quotes, as if being able to drop a few religious quotes make you a better Christian.  (Hey, at one time, I could draw the entire Periodic Table, recite The Jaberwocky, Kubla Khan, and recite 6 or 7 of Shakespeare's most famous soliloquies, but none of that made me an expert in poetry and literature nor a Nobel prize winner in chemistry.  It did win a few bar bets and impress a lady or 2.)  And most of you guys are hypocritical in telling me I need to open to Christ and welcome Him into my life.  But, if I am not doing your way, I am doing it wrong.

I am Catholic.  I gets its teachings.   If you thinks it is wrong, that is your problem, not mine.  Go pound sand.  You have demonstrated why I would prefer the gay couple with the trans kid.   For all I care, they could worship the Great Pumpkin.  I don't have to agree with their life to talk about the best fertilizer or whether or not Pickett is the future of the Steelers.  I don't judge them, they don't judge me.  Life is good.  The overtly religious guy on the other side of the fence? Busy judging me for being Catholic.  Just can't help himself.  I can always build a higher fence.  Maybe the next time I  find a rattlesnake under the shed, I will toss it over the fence for you to use in your next religious meeting.

7 hours ago, Illiterate said:

I would rather live beside a gay couple, quietly raising their trans daughter than some bible-thumper constantly telling me how I should lead my life according to his version of how to be a true christian.

Werent the 10 commandments given to the Jews?

I wouldn't want to live beside anyone who couldn't mind their own business and be reasonably quiet.  Christians who do that are shaming God and are commanded not to do so.

Yes, the original recipients of the Ten (or more) Commandments was Moses and his merry band of wandering Hebrews, none of whom made it into the Promised Land because they couldn't be faithful.  

1 hour ago, Petee said:

I wouldn't want to live beside anyone who couldn't mind their own business and be reasonably quiet.  Christians who do that are shaming God and are commanded not to do so.

Yes, the original recipients of the Ten (or more) Commandments was Moses and his merry band of wandering Hebrews, none of whom made it into the Promised Land because they couldn't be faithful.  

The ONLY being in this entire plan to whom you have to kneel is Yahweh-Jehovah, the being whom we normally refer to as "God", the father of Jesus.  If you believe that and live accordingly, then you're on the right track!  It does NOT matter to which branch of religion you belong as long as it is fulfilling to you and helps you to grow in faith and good works.

34 minutes ago, Petee said:

613 rules to follow.  Be tough to meet those requirements.  I would be out in 2 days...3 if  I slept in a day.

13 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Just got yourself crossed off the preferred neighbor list.

To be fair, I baited the hooked.  Got one on the first cast, though wasn't exactly sure who it would be.

Whenever I state I am Catholic, someone feels compelled to want to debate/discuss Catholic teachings.  10 times out of 10, the discussion is meant to point out everything wrong about being Catholic.  Seriously, do you guys all take the same classes?  I could list your probable top 10 points of discussion and get at least 9 of them right.  Typically, you guys will use the same maybe 8 to 12 biblical quotes, as if being able to drop a few religious quotes make you a better Christian.  (Hey, at one time, I could draw the entire Periodic Table, recite The Jaberwocky, Kubla Khan, and recite 6 or 7 of Shakespeare's most famous soliloquies, but none of that made me an expert in poetry and literature nor a Nobel prize winner in chemistry.  It did win a few bar bets and impress a lady or 2.)  And most of you guys are hypocritical in telling me I need to open to Christ and welcome Him into my life.  But, if I am not doing your way, I am doing it wrong.

I am Catholic.  I gets its teachings.   If you thinks it is wrong, that is your problem, not mine.  Go pound sand.  You have demonstrated why I would prefer the gay couple with the trans kid.   For all I care, they could worship the Great Pumpkin.  I don't have to agree with their life to talk about the best fertilizer or whether or not Pickett is the future of the Steelers.  I don't judge them, they don't judge me.  Life is good.  The overtly religious guy on the other side of the fence? Busy judging me for being Catholic.  Just can't help himself.  I can always build a higher fence.  Maybe the next time I  find a rattlesnake under the shed, I will toss it over the fence for you to use in your next religious meeting.

It seems that I should have said "friendly debate".  I only invited you to debate. There was noting that I said that should have lead you to anticipate that I wanted to debate in a judgmental manner. You might have missed the part where I said that a true Christian would not be judgmental. I gather that you have had the unfortunate experience of encountering judgmental Christians that quote Bible verses in an antagonistic manner to support their point(s). When people do that, they are likely failing to bring people to Christ. Anyway, if you care to debate in a friendly manner, please let me know.

26 minutes ago, Deer Runner said:

It seems that I should have said "friendly debate".  I only invited you to debate. There was noting that I said that should have lead you to anticipate that I wanted to debate in a judgmental manner. You might have missed the part where I said that a true Christian would not be judgmental. I gather that you have had the unfortunate experience of encountering judgmental Christians that quote Bible verses in an antagonistic manner to support their point(s). When people do that, they are likely failing to bring people to Christ. Anyway, if you care to debate in a friendly manner, please let me know.

Nope. Nada. Nothing. Everytime someone wants to 'debate' Catholic teachings, it is cover for an attack on Catholics.  You guys come armed with a playbook.  My time is better spent trying to pry open a manhole cover with a wet paper straw.  So, you go on reciting your verses, rolling on the floor, handling snakes...whatever you feel gets you closer to God.  I am ok with it.

So just for fun, willing to bet these are on your 'debate' list

The Pope, significance of the Virgin Mary, Intercession of Saints, Communion, Confession, and other Sacraments, .......

You do your thing, I'll do mine.

3 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

Nope. Nada. Nothing. Everytime someone wants to 'debate' Catholic teachings, it is cover for an attack on Catholics.  You guys come armed with a playbook.  My time is better spent trying to pry open a manhole cover with a wet paper straw.  So, you go on reciting your verses, rolling on the floor, handling snakes...whatever you feel gets you closer to God.  I am ok with it.

So just for fun, willing to bet these are on your 'debate' list

The Pope, significance of the Virgin Mary, Intercession of Saints, Communion, Confession, and other Sacraments, .......

You do your thing, I'll do mine.

Since you wont let go of the idea that my intent is to attack your faith, I graciously decline to debate any further with you. 

19 hours ago, Deer Runner said:

Fair enough. If you feel like debating the Catholic doctrine vs Christianity sometime, let me know. 

This is your offer.  I simply declined and stated the reasons I would not.  No debate there.

You can rescind your offer, but can't really decline your own offer.

A debate is by design argumentitive.  If you had asked questions as to to why Catholics do what they, maybe I would have engaged in a simple question and answer.  You ask, I answer.  You no comment on the answer.  Move on to next question.  But, I have no doubts immediately after my answer you would begin telling me why I am wrong.  At that point, I would be directing you to a sand pile to pound.

3 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

This is your offer.  I simply declined and stated the reasons I would not.  No debate there.

You can rescind your offer, but can't really decline your own offer.

A debate is by design argumentitive.  If you had asked questions as to to why Catholics do what they, maybe I would have engaged in a simple question and answer.  You ask, I answer.  You no comment on the answer.  Move on to next question.  But, I have no doubts immediately after my answer you would begin telling me why I am wrong.  At that point, I would be directing you to a sand pile to pound.

Yeah I  re-read the posts, and you are correct that you never offered to debate. I mis-read something that you wrote that lead me to believe that you declined my offer but later made an offer to debate.  

20 hours ago, Illiterate said:

613 rules to follow.  Be tough to meet those requirements.  I would be out in 2 days...3 if  I slept in a day.

God has never asked anyone to be perfect, He simply wants you to believe in Him to the point that He can work through you!

Hmm Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Church of God etc. 

They all worship God.

I personally have attended all the above institutions.

I even attended Catycism for a couple years and wasn't Catholic. All my friends were and I sat outside waiting for them. The instructors invited me in one day since I was sitting outside lol. 

The one thing I have learned in my 60 years is that you do not need a building to know God.

You are the building and God is within you. So no brick and mortar building is needed. 

There is also no right or wrong Christian religion in my book. Contrary to popular belief. The only difference they have is the rituals.

The one exception are those crazy West Boro Baptists.  Those people are simply deranged. 

2 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Did ya lose your big spoon, Mr Pot Stirrer?

Nope using it to spank liberals like their mommy's should have done. 

I like arguing about religion but most people can't handle what I say. Plus once people find out you are not religious they tend to think you don't know anything because religious people are the only people that knows anything and they tend to clash with the liberals because the liberals believe they know everything. 

5 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Did ya lose your big spoon, Mr Pot Stirrer?

Illiterate- Some of your posts look like  "conversational bullying". I.e.: Name calling; hidden and direct presuppositions of others intentions without evidence; mischaracterizing words; off-topic accusations. However, you have a rich vocabulary and your quick-witted use of metaphors is impressive.