GoDuBois.com

Looking for greenkouse hoops.

Pappy

I am thinking of putting a greenhouse in my yard. If you know anyone who has an old greenhouse that they are not using and want to get rid of message me. I just need the hoops and then will buy the covering for it. Figured I would try here first.

You can make your own hoops if you can't find them on here or elsewhere.  Since I don't heat my greenhouses over the coldest part of the winter, I have two of the 6 x 8 from Harbor Freight.  We've had one of them for 20 years.  The only thing that happened to them was the huge summer hailstorm about 5 years or so ago.  New panels are a fortune, but I just changed the thinner ones out for thicker and made some alterations.  I raise between 1000 and 1500 plants for two different plant sales every year.

One Milkhouse heater will do fine for the late spring nights when it drops to 20-30.

12 minutes ago, Petee said:

You can make your own hoops if you can't find them on here or elsewhere.  Since I don't heat my greenhouses over the coldest part of the winter, I have two of the 6 x 8 from Harbor Freight.  We've had one of them for 20 years.  The only thing that happened to them was the huge summer hailstorm about 5 years or so ago.  New panels are a fortune, but I just changed the thinner ones out for thicker and made some alterations.  I raise between 1000 and 1500 plants for two different plant sales every year.

One Milkhouse heater will do fine for the late spring nights when it drops to 20-30.

a friend of mine has the same from harbor freight also but I would like to go a bit larger. I thought about building my own out of 1 1/2" pvc or just regular metal conduit and bending them myself  and may do that if I don't find any used ones around. Limited funds make it difficult to buy new or even using conduit etc and I have a couple Amish friends who said they can build me one also so we will see. They are building me raised garden beds already and a chicken coop. I do not know how I will be next year and it is so much easier planting in a raised bed with my arthritis and my plants seem to do better in a raised bed as you see from my other threads.

I doubt it without tissue culture, and that's weird complicated scientific stuff done in a lab.  The roots have to come from cells meant to develop roots which would be at a live leaf node.  Short of a minor miracle, I would say no.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:45 PM, Gator11 said:

a friend of mine has the same from harbor freight also but I would like to go a bit larger. I thought about building my own out of 1 1/2" pvc or just regular metal conduit and bending them myself  and may do that if I don't find any used ones around. Limited funds make it difficult to buy new or even using conduit etc and I have a couple Amish friends who said they can build me one also so we will see. They are building me raised garden beds already and a chicken coop. I do not know how I will be next year and it is so much easier planting in a raised bed with my arthritis and my plants seem to do better in a raised bed as you see from my other threads.

Harbor Freight has a larger one also and it's a reasonable price if you find them on sale.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, Petee said:

I have a book of really unusual solar greenhouses that you could borrow.  It's older but very ingenious.

I may take you up on that just look through it. I have many ideas of my own and have looked over the years at many designs but cannot hurt to look at others  too.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:59 PM, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

Not to hijack the thread

But is there a way to get a small branch that got ripped of a dogwood to reroot?

never hurts to try. Add some root compound to the end and plant in a sandy soil and see if roots sprout. I doubt it but you never know. It never hurts to try

On 6/26/2023 at 9:45 PM, Gator11 said:

Few years ago, I built elevated beds.  I call them troughs. The tops are about 3 ft in height.  Soil depth is about 2ft.   Thet are either 6, 8, or 10 ft long and  18 or 24 inches wide.  At that height there is no bending over at all.  They are screwed to each other, so no chance of tilting over.  No moving them once filled.  A trough can easily weigh over a ton, especially when wet.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:59 PM, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

Not to hijack the thread

But is there a way to get a small branch that got ripped of a dogwood to reroot?

Apparently, it is qute possible. You might want to look up hardwood cuttings vs softwood cuttings. If the branch has been around for awhile I would take a fresh cutting. Here is the procedure.

Dogwood: How To Grow a Dogwood Tree From a Branch
Like every other tree propagation process, a Dogwood tree from a branch must be healthy to propagate successfully. It also needs to be at least 12 inches long and has a diameter of about 1/4 to 1/2 inches.

The cutting angle is also 45-degree, and all the leaves or buds should be removed from the lower half of the cutting.

The rooting hormone will stimulate root growth, and you can plant the cutting, moist and well-draining soil away from direct sunlight.

13 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Few years ago, I built elevated beds.  I call them troughs. The tops are about 3 ft in height.  Soil depth is about 2ft.   Thet are either 6, 8, or 10 ft long and  18 or 24 inches wide.  At that height there is no bending over at all.  They are screwed to each other, so no chance of tilting over.  No moving them once filled.  A trough can easily weigh over a ton, especially when wet.

I built one a few years ago and I have a few that are in my yard now for next year. I do not have to bend for them either. If you go to the garden section you can see my posts about them in my garden pics and my moms. The ones I have at my house now are heavy even without the soil in them. It takes three or four people to move them empty. They are 4'x8'