GoDuBois.com

Do you remember this antique hook and eye lock?

Petee

I'm looking for an antique latch (probably blacksmithed originally) that was used to open a door from either side.  It worked in the same way as a hook and eye, but the hooks were connected to a solid shaft that went through the door and lifted the hook on the other side at the same time as the one on the other side of the door.  It was not necessarily a lock but more of a latch so no one got shut in a room because the hook was dropped into place on the other side of the door.  

Anyone remember what it was called?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2023 at 6:05 AM, Pappy said:

is it something like this. Could be called a gate latch I guess

bb02587.webp

That's not exactly what I was looking for, but it would work!  Our door handles are not round, but a lever which the dogs have learned to open on their own. I have to tie the door shut to keep them out of the bedrooms and bathroom during the day, but then you have to untie and retie it all the time.  We thought of a hook lock, but if anyone was back there and tried to get out while the hook lock on the other side was fastened, I'll bet there would be some human yelling involved!

I love the idea of something antique and novel that would work, and this might do the trick.

5 hours ago, Petee said:

That's not exactly what I was looking for, but it would work!  Our door handles are not round, but a lever which the dogs have learned to open on their own. I have to tie the door shut to keep them out of the bedrooms and bathroom during the day, but then you have to untie and retie it all the time.  We thought of a hook lock, but if anyone was back there and tried to get out while the hook lock on the other side was fastened, I'll bet there would be some human yelling involved!

I love the idea of something antique and novel that would work, and this might do the trick.

I found that pic on the internet typing in gate latch. I then clicked on images so I could look at all the ones available and usually it has the link right there also.

3 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

find a welder and have them make you one

Best idea yet!  I did find a site that specializes in colonial hardware and they have some similar latches. Thank you for heading me in the right direction!

On 12/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, Petee said:

Best idea yet!  I did find a site that specializes in colonial hardware and they have some similar latches. Thank you for heading me in the right direction!

I was going to suggest that as well or try some Amish stores and ask around. They may know where you can get one

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

I was going to suggest that as well or try some Amish stores and ask around. They may know where you can get one

I do know a local Amish family and will ask them when I see them next!  Thank you.

Funny story.....my brother called me and said he really wanted a fresh turkey.  He had just had open heart surgery a few months before so I really wanted to find one for him.  Knowing that the local markets didn't stock them, and knowing my brother was an experienced hunter, I asked my Amish friends, found a local grower and bought a turkey from them.  When I called my brother to tell him I had one in my truck, he realized it was alive and he had given up killing things. Great.  So I asked the grower if he knew anyone who could kill and dress it?  Yes.  So in a couple of hours, I had a fresh turkey!  Made my brother go pick it up, and he called back when he went to cook it, it was skinned!  You can't deep fry a skinned turkey!  Oh well, I tried.