GoDuBois.com

Bare Impatients

Cardinal Fan

Every year for over 20 years I have had beautiful inpatients on my deck. About 2 weeks ago it looks like something ate the blooms off of them. Now there are no flowers at all and they look terrible. I put some slug and snail stuff in them, but they are ruined. What could it be?

Have just the flowers been picked off or are the leaves being eaten as well? If the leaves are being nibbled it is probably caterpillars or slugs. Any slime trails around? Squirrels and birds will pick off the flowers. Squirrels will bite of the tops of the plant and will often leave it on the ground. Deer and rabbits also like impatience but they do more damage than you seem to be describing. Deer or notorious for eating the buds off roses and daylilies.  Do you have a cat? Japanese beetles will also destroy flowers but I'm not sure that they like impatience and you would surely see them.

If you have mites on the impatiens you won't see any obvious evidence but the leaves will yellow and just fall off.  It's getting pretty late in the season (unless we don't get a frost) but if they're not too far gone then give them a dose of fish emulsion and spray with an all purpose insect spray.  Be sure to get the bottoms of the leaves too.  You might see enough improvement to enjoy them for a few more weeks.  

There's also a Downey Mildew that can make them into skeletons of what they were.  Impatiens can be a pain to grow and will succumb to a host of things if they have any sort of stressor.  http://www.ballpublishing.com/growertalks/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=18921

I have to do my gorgeous basket of Million Bells (another thing that likes to die in August) that Valley Rainbow is kind of famous for (12 kinds in one big basket) because I've let them go too dry too many times and forgot to feed them at the beginning of August.  If I take care of them now I'll be they get beautiful again before they're done for the winter.  

Most insecticidal sprays do not kill mites because they are not insects. You will need a miticide or a soap or oil which smothers them. Mites are darned hard to get rid of. Better hope it is a critter eating your flowers.  You can at least move the pot or see if throwing a piece of netting over it helps. Slugs are indeed bad this year.

I have had what they call a"Humming Bird Moth" eating the flowers off mine ...they come out at night an only seem to eat the flowers...if you check them out on line it won't say they eat the flowers....but....I have watched them do it for the last two years...they also like my petunias.

My impatients had a similar thing happen this year.  In fact, I just pulled them last night.  They looked too sickly to leave them in my beds.  I thought slugs at first too, but the leaves weren't really eaten, just gone.  I had a lot of spindly stems left.  I first noticed the flowers were gone after a big thunderstorm a few weeks ago and they just went down hill from there.

Thanks for all the help! I have never in 20 years had a problem with my impatients. 5 flower boxes full and all that is left is strangling stems. A couple of them do look like skeletons, but most of them are just flowereless, but the leaves remained. Can't be deer or rabbits because the deck is up too high. I have seen slugs and Japenese beetles this year on my deck. What's up with this summer any way? This is by far the worst year ever for all my flowers, the petunias didn't get real full, all my flowers did poorly and I always have had beautiful flowers.

I have had what they call a"Humming Bird Moth" eating the flowers off mine ...they come out at night an only seem to eat the flowers...if you check them out on line it won't say they eat the flowers....but....I have watched them do it for the last two years...they also like my petunias.

I don't think this is what you mean?

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/hummingbird_moth.htm

Can you describe what is actually chewing on your plants?

A lot of the impatiens that came out of greenhouses this year had Downey Mildew plus other diseases.  That's what I mentioned before.  Grow your own and keep the plants healthier.

Do any of these pictures look like your plants?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Impatiens+Downy+Mildew&hl=en&sa=X&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=JFAuUJm3OfLM6QGBhoH4Dw&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=595

That's exactly what mine look like, especially this pictures without the visible white mildew.  I went to a local greenhouse this year.  I normally get mine from the Brockway FFA kids but their greenhouse wasn't open the weekend I wanted to plant.  Lesson learned.  I'm heading back to the kids next year.

The hot weather has caused a proliferation of problems that we rarely see in the garden. We're getting insects and bugs that we rarely see. Powdery mildew has been a problem with the bee balm and phlox this year because of the dry weather. I've had a number of people call me with that problem.  The best thing that you can probably do for powdery mildew is keep the plants well watered, hose down the leaves and make sure that you have good air circulation. Planting mildew proof varieties where they exist is also a good idea.

Downy mildew, on the other hand, is encouraged by damp cool conditions. It usually isn't a problem in hot dry weather.It is water born so anything you can do to keep the plant dry will discourage it. Water only in the morning so the leaves can dry our and thin the plants for good air circulation. The bad news with downy mildew is that it overwinters in the soil so you might want to get some new soil for your pots. Powdery mildew is airborne and overwinters in living tissue.

Impatiens are susceptiblel to both so unless you know which you have treatment is next to impossible although fungicides will help, just not the same one for each.  Telling the difference without a microscope is probably difficult. I believe that you are more likely to see powdery mildew in the New Guinea impatiens.

My impatients had a similar thing happen this year.  In fact, I just pulled them last night.  They looked too sickly to leave them in my beds.  I thought slugs at first too, but the leaves weren't really eaten, just gone.  I had a lot of spindly stems left.  I first noticed the flowers were gone after a big thunderstorm a few weeks ago and they just went down hill from there.

Yes!!! Right after the storm, they went down hill.

White webbing on the soil is often mycellium, the vegetative body of a fungus. They are most common under wet conditions in soil with a high organic content. They don't hurt the plant but they may indicate that you are over watering.

While I have seen spider mite webbing on the soil in house plants that are badly infested it is unusual. The webbing from spider mites is fairly insubstantial and you aren't going to find it on the soil and not on the plant.

lycoperdonmyceliumtiffany_2248.jpg

mushro1_7916.jpg

Humming bird moths are so charming that I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a few plants to them. We've got tons of them sipping away at the evening primrose at night. Wish I was good enough with a camera to get a picture. The caterpillars were very fond on the bedstraw that grew wild in my herb garden. Most of it has been weeded out now so I'm not sure what they are eating.

They are in my front garden all the time and they don't even fly away when I move to within a foot of them.  They just go on drinking nectar from the same flowers that the Hummingbirds do.  

Years ago I found one dead sitting on a cast iron skillet that I had put out on the deck to dry thoroughly and gave it to a couple of girls who were making an insect collection.  I think one of them works in the Entomology Lab at Penn State now.  It gave me a chance to really look it over closely.  I always thought they resembled flying lobsters!