GoDuBois.com

What are these flowers?

These are growing in the front yard of our project house.

They came up on their own this spring, and they seem to spread.  They get pretty little lavender flowers on them.

They bloom in the morning, but when the summer comes over in the afternoon and it gets hot, they close up.

They also close up at night.

flowers_3199.jpg

Em,  I love mine, they don't seem to be spreading all over the place, unlike some of the other perennials that I've planted, lol!

I'm still learning about all of this and it's so great. I think I missed my calling, I wish I had discovered all of this when I was much younger.

I always liked playing in the dirt as a child, and I still do. I just never knew anything about perennials, only veggies. We started two flower beds four years ago, and now we're up to seven, and I'd love a couple more. I keep learning new things about all of these beautiful plants, in large part to all of the great advice that I've received here on this forum.

A great big THANK YOU to all who have helped me with so many questions over the last few years!  :)

Do the flowers open any more than that? Are they blooming now?  The leaf looks like a bell flower leaf. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but I think you have one of the clustered bell flowers. They are blooming about now. Most of them open more than the ones in the picture but I'm betting those are pictures of the buds.

Clustered bell flowers were in all of the older gardens and they hang around for years. Spresd well, too. Can't find a picture of the buds but here is the flower.

Gentian are very rare and protected. We used to have the closed ones in the back yard. They bloom very late in the summer and the leaves are different than your pic.

bell_7951.jpg

this is tall and just a dozen or so scattered about it a bed of liilly of the valley by a mailbox post

Clustered bellflowers are about 12-18 inches tall. They bloom on the terminal stem and they later bloom further down the stem at the joints. The leaves are alternate. In some species they are hairy. I still think this is what is in the picture. The are very common and the most common plant is generally what you are seeing.