GoDuBois.com

Hows your garden doing?

Smokefree

I planted about 8 tomato plants in my garden a few weeks ago and something ate them all. Now I have literally dozens of several different varieties in buckets on my deck. Even have a few blossoms on some and it's looking good. I just planted 3 squash, a white lilac bush (thanks Lavender!), some banana peppers, and a few more tomatoes in the garden (sprayed with repellant and a nasty homemake concoction of hot pepper sauce, garlic, and rotten egg mixed with water) which seems to work on the few that I sprayed it on after the first tomatoes bit the dust in the garden. My blueberry bushes are covered with green berries but I don't see anything going on yet with my apple trees. Hope I get a few apples this year. I only planted them about 2 years ago and last year I did get a few apples but these are little trees so I don't expect too much. Can you put miracle grow or compost on apple trees?

I still have green peppers to plant and I want to plant more after I see what the garden pests leave alone.

The chocolate mint that I bought at the plant sale is growing like a weed so I set it free of it's contairner and planted it in the garden. I know animals and bugs are supposed to leave mint plants alone but it smells so good and chocolatey that I wonder if something will eat it too now. I love the spring and summer. Now I will have to water all these plants all summer! Lucky I have two rain barrels going or it would cost a fortune.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine seems to be going real slow.   someting chewed through the plastice fence I put up around it and dug ones everywhere but left the plants alone... so far.

Mate been in for a couple weeks but look the same now as day they were palnted.    lettuce is up but growing slow.  one tater palnt seems to be the best thing growing ..at least above ground.

Gardens on The Hill are doing great but some deer did jump the fence and pick off some greenbean plants that were doing great.  Maters are growing very good and peppers are looking ok as well.  Peas are getting bigger as well as sunflowers, cukes, pumpkins and corn.  My 120+ hills of taters are up about a foot and lookiing great.  Just gotta keep the hill critters away and everything should be fine.  The rain sure has been good for the gardens here... :)

I'll admit everything I have is growing very, very slow too. I just now noticed a growth spurt. The few blossoms on my tomatoes are on plants that are small. The rain without a lot of sunshine on some days didn't help. A few days ago I followed Petee's advice that was printed on a slip when I bought some plants from her. I mixed Miracle Grow and Epsom Salts with water for my plants and that is what I think is perking them up.

I am not surprised about your potatos. The ones I threw in my compost bin are growing fast and big. LOL

Guest snellma

We have actually gotten too much rain here so my squash are rotting right on the vine.  My tomatoes look like a jungle they have gotten so big but still no ripe ones yet.

After all of my seedlings died I planted tomato seeds from the freebies forum (pack of Campbell's tomato seeds), I thought it would be really cool to have Campbells tomato soup tomatoes. The seeds grew, too! Except they weren't tomato seeds, they were leaf lettuce seeds. I give up.

So far so good-- tomatoes look lovely with no yellowing..... For the first time, I did a soil sample and sent it to the Penn State Cooperative Extension.  I added fertilizer and urea, and refrained from adding lime.  Neighbor kept telling me our soil needed lime, but PSU seems to disagree.  I'll go with PSU.  (For this and nothing else, lol.)

On the left there are three rows of potatoes then some peas more on the right side and further out at the other end are sunflowers and cukes and some corn on the right as well. Upper garden has the peppers and tomatoes etc

Guest snellma

We have gotten so much rain here in SC my squash have just rotted.  I haven't decided if I will retry planting any or not.  It is a different story for the tomatoes and cucumbers.  They are going crazy.  My tomatoes are almost 6 feet tall and full of tomatoes.  The cherry ones are finally starting to get ripe so I have been getting a few every once in a while.  The peppers and beans are doing well also.

The fruit in the state are beautiful this year.  Going to pick peaches this weekend and blueberries sometime this week.

I saw a full sized buck in my neighbors yard on highland street yesterday. Between the deer, rabbits, groundhogs, chipmunks, and squirrels in my yard maybe I should just give up and throw out a salt-block, buy some bird seed and nuts and become a wildlife photogropher. LOL The tomato plants, etc on my deck are doing great. Glad of that anyways.

It is calming to know that others are having the same problems....the chippy's have eaten my zucchini seeds before they even germinate.  The rain ruined the first planting of corn...and many of my flowers have not returned this year!  I miss my moonflower!!!!  On the other hand, my lettuce is going crazy......if the weather doesn't stay nice for a few days, so will I!!!!!!!!

It is calming to know that others are having the same problems....the chippy's have eaten my zucchini seeds before they even germinate.  The rain ruined the first planting of corn...and many of my flowers have not returned this year!  I miss my moonflower!!!!  On the other hand, my lettuce is going crazy......if the weather doesn't stay nice for a few days, so will I!!!!!!!!

We got your email and I'll send one to the Farmer's Market on, I think, July 11. It was funny about this winter. I lost lots of perennials including the huge white moonflower on the embankment and the one that grew in my yard. They have been there for years. It was a bad winter.