GoDuBois.com

Hows your garden doing?

Smokefree

Guest snellma

We have wonderful blueberry fields down here.  There are many places to pick.

We can't seen to grow raspberries though - too hot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have wonderful blueberry fields down here.  There are many places to pick.

We can't seen to grow raspberries though - too hot.

How weird! I would think blueberries would like cooler weather than raspberries. The wild ones are still harvested in the New England states.

My raspberries are just about ripe. Will be picking this weekend.

My garden is loving this weather that we've been having. I'll be picking tons of peas in a couple of days. So far, knock on wood, the crunchy disgusting beetles have left them alone.

Maybe they don't like the rain and chilly nights?  :)

I picked a 1/2 bushel of peas yesterday, while my sneakers were getting bogged down in the mud. I wanted to pick more today...but not possible unless hubby hooked me to a lift and lowered me down to pick, UGH! And the weeds! Last weekend, we worked our arses off tilling, hoeing and  hand weeding and the garden looked so great...now? Weed city, I honestly don't know how I'm going to keep up with picking all of the veggies that are ready and weeding. It's just not going to happen, picking the veggies comes first...so goodbye great looking garden!

I picked a 1/2 bushel of peas yesterday, while my sneakers were getting bogged down in the mud. I wanted to pick more today...but not possible unless hubby hooked me to a lift and lowered me down to pick, UGH! And the weeds! Last weekend, we worked our arses off tilling, hoeing and  hand weeding and the garden looked so great...now? Weed city, I honestly don't know how I'm going to keep up with picking all of the veggies that are ready and weeding. It's just not going to happen, picking the veggies comes first...so goodbye great looking garden!

Division of labor. Hubby weeds while you pick. I was all ready to get out there today when the rain came again. I need to get some pea brush in there.

My garden isn't so much one anymore. Jeez I tell you groundHOGS. Are hogs. My garden is about GONE!!! From them.

Same problem here plus squirells, deer, and rabbits and I live in town! So this year almost everything is on my deck and doing great. When the tomatoes start to get ripe I am putting birdseed out for the squirrels in the yard so hopefully they won't go on the deck and eat tomatoes. It makes me irritated that I can't use my yard to garden.

I picked a 1/2 bushel of peas yesterday

We have a lot of peas too. We just love them. Half the time they don't even make it to the house. We'll sit down and eat them right at the garden.

We also have lettuce coming out our ears....We planted WAY too much for our little family. We give it away by the bag full (plastic shopping bag!)

We planted radishes this year for the 1st time. They are doing really good too.

peppers cucs, and zucs.....not so much!

• 3 weeks later...

everything looks to be doing very well right now with the exception of the Zucchini.  all the blossoms are falling off with no sign of a zucchini coming   lettuce has been great and tomatoes are coming on as well

The first blossoms are all male and won't produce fruit. Give it a few days and the female blossoms will come.

My garden has me hopping! I have to pick every night or else the veggies get too big and I like peas, green beans,

wax beans, squash, etc., on the smaller side.

I think that my peas will be done in onother week or two. The sugar snaps are still going like crazy though. The green and wax beans,

I've only been picking for a couple of weeks, so there's lots more time for them.

So how is everyone's tomatoes doing? I've been reading a lot about the blight that's going around. It was even mentioned on television tonight.

So far (knock on wood), our tomatoes are doing really well. I've picked some red and yellow cherry tomatoes and we have tons of green tomatoes,

Celebrity, Roma's and a couple of others that I planted to fill in gaps.

Squash is going great guns, our cukes are a little slow. They're coming along and there are lots of blossoms. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This is the first year that I've tried eggplant. I've gotten blossoms, but they fall off and no eggplant? Oh and the peppers seem to doing okay too,

they're a little slow, like the cukes.

Sorry so long winded, I haven't had time to post for quite a while.  :)

Spinach is done but still picking tons of lettuce. The broccoli and cauliflower are just about ready. Cabbage is getting there too. Will be having yellow squash and zucchini every night for dinner for the rest of the summer. Need to check the beans if it ever stops raining. Tomato plants aren't up to par. It's been too cool to make them happy. Probably going to be a bad year for eggplant and peppers too. Time will tell.

Guest marbek

Figured I would post about my garden. Carrots got a late start, so not anything there yet, only small 1" - 2" tops. Corn started doing well, but I have a section that is not growing near as good as the rest. All of my own inside starters didn't make it this year, too tall and skinny. I ended up buying plants from the amish and getting 4 zucchini from a friend. The zucchini all have some growing. The cantalope and watermelon have blossoms but nothing more. The head lettuce is beautiful. The cauliflower are big plants, but I don't see any heads growing at all. Tomatoes seem to be doing ok with green tomatoes, nothing to eat yet. Peppers all look to be good, but plants seem small. My beans and peas that I planted have blossoms all over them. We've picked some peas and ate them. I replanted broccoli and cucumbers. I got no broccoli growth at all but 3 of the 7 cucumbers grew and have nice blossoms on them. I am very unhappy with what I am growing all but my corn and carrots in. We had a load of top soil brught in. I call it a load of rocks with some dirt lol. I think that might be the cause of things not doing so perfect and being so big, but I don't really know. I just know I wanted a good and big garden lol.

I just had a huge harvest of ........tomato leaves that have spots all over them. LOL I do this all the time. That and spray and hope. Plucked off a few green tomatoes that have what suspiciously looks like BER (Blossom End Rot). Oh, the joys of gardening. My bushy plants are looking thinner and thinner every day. The remaining leaves are fresh and green. It is wierd. And they are covered with blossoms and green tomatoes. I don't know how many tomatoes I am going to have in the end. I may have to resort to buying more from a farm than I had planned on.

Marbek, you may want to sidedress your corn with a good dose of 10-10-10 wherever it is still small.  Also, try some Epsom Salts on your peppers at about 1 tsp per plant.  With all this rain rhe fertilizer gets washed out and you need to feed more often.

I am very disappointed in my garden this year. Over half of it got washed out so we replanted some of it but nothing came up. Now that entire half is nothing but grass which I am going to have remove. It is constantly soaking wet so we can't even till it. The half that did grow is doing okay but for some reason there is grass everywhere. My onions are doing great if you can find them hidden in the grass. I did get a bushel and a half of peas which I canned. The potatoes are doing great. Most of the tomato plants have tomatoes on them but if it doesn't warm up, they won't ripen. Bugs ate most of my green beans and although I did spray them, the plants are now very small but I am getting some beans. The banana peppers are looking great. The cabbage isn't doing anything and the plants are not much bigger than when I planted them. I planted a whole row of squash and only 2 plants came up. I depend on my garden to get us through the winter. It is going to be a lean winter for us. My beets never came up so I had to go to Seigworth's and buy a bushel. I have a huge garden and I have to buy produce to can and freeze. What's wrong with this picture???

I

canned 36 pints of green beans so far in the last two day. Will be more this week. I kept waiting for a snake to slither over my foot and then I would have been done. I hate slithery limey, creep crawly things. 'SHIVER"

I don't mind snakes, they have their place in the world, but I would HATE! to bite into a protein filled fried flower!

I'm going to pick my first red tomato for lunch. The blight has not touched mine. I grew my own seeds from german seeds that I keep every year. We have had lots of lettuce from the garden and in planters on my deck, and fresh herbs, onions,  snap peas, and loveage,  our beans are almost ready. Zuchs, cukes, mellons are coming along too.

I love fresh veggies!

I don't mind snakes, they have their place in the world, but I would HATE! to bite into a protein filled fried flower!

I'm going to pick my first red tomato for lunch. The blight has not touched mine. I grew my own seeds from german seeds that I keep every year. We have had lots of lettuce from the garden and in planters on my deck, and fresh herbs, onions,  snap peas, and loveage,  our beans are almost ready. Zuchs, cukes, mellons are coming along too.

I love fresh veggies!

That's what I'm eating right now, a big pink-red tomato and cherries and smokehouse almonds - yum - of course it is someone else's home grown goodies because my garden was a massive fail. We were in Butler and stopped at a farmer's market and they had the best (and cheapest) stuff - we got a bottle of cherry-apple cider and it is the best stuff I ever tasted, but we only got a little bottle and it's gone and I don't live near Butler :(