GoDuBois.com

Passion Flower

ambrch

I picked up a passion flower at Lowe's this summer and it has been blooming beautifully ever since....(in the ground by my clothesline)!

Now, with fall approaching, what do I do with it?  It has vined its way around things and I would have to

cut it back to bring it in......suggestions please?

I went a little crazy at the clearance racks this summer and have many plants in the ground. I tried to pick

cold hardy plants, but others were too irresistable...

I would not turn away any suggestions on how to winter over some of these plants. ;D

It sounded like a wonderful idea at the time, but now I have to mark them all!

Bring the passion flower in and treat it like a house plant. Cut it back as necessary. It is usually a good idea to trim back tropical plants that have been outside before you bring them in because you are losing roots when you dig them up.  Reducing the top keeps them from wilting or losing leaves.

Since the plants have been in the soil it is important to get them into pots while the weather is still good. Dig them up and remove as much of the garden soil as you can without destroying the roots. This is kind of a compromise here. Because indoor conditions are great for the multiplication of bacteria and fungi we try to keep soil conditions as sterile as possible. You can't do this completely because your plants have been in the ground but do get them into good potting soil. I'd leave them outside in the shade until they recover from the transplant and then bring them in.

If any of your non-hardy purchases are bulbs or tubers you can wait until after the first frost, dig them and store then according to their requirements.

Thanks!  Can you take starts from the existing plant?  This thing is still blooming...it's a purple and white flower, some of the runners are  8ft long.  I will go get new potting soil...

Wow! Yours did a lot better than mine which is still trying to recover from a bad bout of mealy bug.

I've never tired rooting them but I'd say take some actively growing shoots with 3 or 4 leaf nodes. Take the leaves off the first node and stick it into something that is sterile (potting soil, vermiculite). Do this in a container like the ones that you get take home in with the clear plastic lids. Water it and put the lid on. Keep it in good light but not in the sun. It will probably root since the plant is in such active growth and this method works for most things. Just for the heck of it put some in water. A lot of things will root in water. Let me know what works. I might try mine.

I brought that bugger in and it is still blooming!  I put some in water but the cat hit it and it spilled to the floor. Nothing is sacred ... :-/

I pick off any leaves that look eaten from the J.B.'s.......I will keep you up to date....hopefully it won't die!  it's beautiful when it blooms.

• 7 months later...

I bought another purple one and saw a red one today, so they both came home with me. I really like these plants. The purple one is full of flower buds ready to pop open!!!

They are beautiful and when I was trying to identify the one I bought I saw that they came in many different colors. Mine is finally getting a few new leaves. I hope it makes a full recovery when it can go outside.

You know that the name refers to the Passion of Christ. The early missionaries used the structure of the flower to explain the Crucifixion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful!

Hubby says that now that I'm getting into perrenials, I want everything that I see...

he may be right! ;)

When I first started gardening and planting perrenials, my Grandmother told me:

The first year they sleep;

The second year they creep; and

The third year they leap.  

I love it when they "leap"!

My daylilies are "leaping". Prairie Blue Eyes which was just a start a couple of years age has a bunch of flowers. I also found a raspberry and wine colored one that I have no idea where I got. Most of the specially bred ones that we were given are starting to bloom. They will be fabulous next year. The pink double from Bluestone Perennials is also blooming. It is pretty but not near as ruffly as the old orange double that I have. It is more like a triple or quadruple.

I divided some of my tetraploids and the new ones are flowering better than the old clumps.

I'm convinced that you can get as many flowers on a 3 year old daylily as you can in a big clump. I think they love to be divided.