GoDuBois.com

I need help, suggestions...anything!

steelnut

When I went outside this morning, all the tops of my sunflowers were gone. All of my stella d'oro flowers were chomped off and spit out!

I'm assuming deer, and they didn't like the taste of the lilys? I spray with Deer Off, what the heck!

I'm ashamed to say that a couple of expletives were said.

Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be another critter besides deer?

And does anyone know if the sunflowers will come back. Only the tops were eaten, the rest of the plants are still there.

Everything was looking so beautiful, I could cry!  :'(

Commiserations! Deer do love sunflowers; so do bear but they go for the seeds and pull the stalks down. If you have the branching sunflowers they will come back. The old style single stalk ones, not so much. Daylily flowers are also a favorite of the deer. Groundhogs don't seem to bother them. I've never seen the Stella d'oro bothered but no reason why they shouldn't be eaten except maybe your spray.

I have no proof but just watching the way things happen in the garden I suspect that the deer bite things off and let them fall to the ground before they eat them. If they taste funny they just let them lay. I've had this happen more than once but never with the day lilies.

The only suggestion I can make is throw netting over them. The stellas will be back with no problem. Good luck on the sunflowers!

PS. If the sunflowers were short enough this is characteristic behavior of squirrels. You can watch them bite off pine cones in the fall and let them drop to the ground. Some of the more demented ones practice on flowers.

I know I have the same problem with the deer here at TL. They just got into my fenced garden and ate my flowers and my tree.

It takes a 7 foot fence to keep deer out but there are a couple of tricks that we've used successfully. Warning! They aren't pretty! You can string a wire or netting above your fence. Be sure to mark it with plastic bags or something the deer can see. A single wire will usually keep them from jumping even if they can get between it and the top of the fence.

Deer will also not jump when they are not sure of their landing. In a small fenced area you can use white buckets placed strategically. They won't usually jump if they see them. Deer are pretty stupid though so there is no telling what one of them will do. We had a buck jump down hill into the veggie garden once and couldn't preform the same feat uphill. Instead of jumping out at the lower end he took down the wire fence.

I have had wonderful success with Liquid Fence.  Every night I see the deer in my yard, munching on birdseed but they never touch my tulips, hosta, all the things deer find yummy.  You can get it at DuBois Feeds.  It totally REEKS if you get it on your hands so beware, but you can't smell it in the air once sprayed on your plants.

I have had wonderful success with Liquid Fence.  Every night I see the deer in my yard, munching on birdseed but they never touch my tulips, hosta, all the things deer find yummy.  You can get it at DuBois Feeds.  It totally REEKS if you get it on your hands so beware, but you can't smell it in the air once sprayed on your plants.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, ideas and commiserations!

VP, I've been using the Deer Off, but I notice that the directions say that rain will wash it off. What about the Liquid Fence?

Oh and my sunflowers were only about 6-8 inches tall, I planted them late this year.

When I went outside this morning, all the tops of my sunflowers were gone. All of my stella d'oro flowers were chomped off and spit out!

I'm assuming deer, and they didn't like the taste of the lilys? I spray with Deer Off, what the heck!

I'm ashamed to say that a couple of expletives were said.

Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be another critter besides deer?

And does anyone know if the sunflowers will come back. Only the tops were eaten, the rest of the plants are still there.

Everything was looking so beautiful, I could cry!  :'(

You need to ask yourself one question....."What would Jack do?!"  

He would keep watch all night until whatever it was comes back.....and then

HE WOULD BULLRUSH THAT SONOFA***, RIP OFF IT'S HEAD AND SH*T DOWN IT'S NECK!   Don't let Lambert see ya cry!    ;)  

Sorry to hear about your flowers though.......

Last year chipmunks munched on my young sunflowers, so this year I put a little fence around them till they were a foot high. Only a few that were  shorter and, I assume, more tender,were eaten. My backyard is fenced so no deer can get in. The only other thing that seems to be attractive is my beans along the edge of my garden. They are destroyed now except fot the ones bordering my catnip plants.

HE WOULD BULLRUSH THAT SONOFA***, RIP OFF IT'S HEAD AND SH*T DOWN IT'S NECK!   Don't let Lambert see ya cry!    ;)  

Bwaaa, ha, ha!!! ;D

Please be aware that Moth Balls can be very toxic and may contaminate your food crops.  We used to shove a box of them down Groundhog holes till I read about using them where there are wells, food crops and children.

Please be aware that Moth Balls can be very toxic and may contaminate your food crops.  We used to shove a box of them down Groundhog holes till I read about using them where there are wells, food crops and children.

Maybe they would work put into butter tubs with holes in the top and buried?

Ahhh, will Liquid Fence work on squirrels? I have to get some tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if the sunflowers are toast or is it too late to try and plant more....

I don't know what liquid fence will work on. I still haven't gotten out to Agway or Kohlepps to get any. The groundhog got into my cauliflower last night and destroyed quite a bit of it. Hit the cabbage too. I mixed up a solution of hot pepper, garlic and eggs and sprayed. (My kitchen and blender smell yummy!) Then sprinkled with Epsom salts. It is now raining so Mr. Chuck will have an uncontaminated breakfast.

I don't know who Jack is but if he hires out send him my way. I haven't had the 22 out in years but I'm about to dust it off.

Liquid Fence is made of "putrid egg solids" and garlic.  We sprayed it on only once on our tulips and now on out hosta, I think it's best to spray it when you know it won't rain for a day or so, and it lasts 30 days.  From the 'net:

Deer and foraging animals can be highly desructive, even... More eating to the ground newly planted rose bush and azaleas. Try Liquid Fence on your flowers trees, hedges, vines and all lanscaped ares. Guaranteed to work. Made from harmless organic ingredients, including powdered eggs and garlic concentrate, Liquid Fence is kid safe and pet friendly. It's rain resistant, odorless to humans when dry, and can be applied once a month to repel deer and rabbits. Doesn't repel birds, bees or butterflies. Available in ready-to-use sprays and concentrates. Money-back guarantee by the manufacturer. Details on package.

Guest madre

I gotta tell ya, Liquid Fence or anything that I mixed up similar NEVER worked on our plants in TL.  The deer ate everything...except ferns and rocks.  The deer there are not normal.  The only thing that truly worked was a fence...and that wasn't very pretty  :(

Doesn't mention anything about groundhogs on their website......... http://www.liquidfence.com/

Groundhogs are destructive critters best controlled, IMO, with a neatly placed 22 slug to the head.

I tend to agree but no one ever sees the critter. Laid tomato cages end to end and started to put down mesh but the operation got called because of rain. Hope it holds until I can get the rest of the mesh down. Don't think the damage is fatal yet. Only one plant had the growth tip eaten out. The rest had the leaves eaten. It will set them back, I think, but not kill them.

Guest Tracy96

I'm not sure about groundhogs but I always save my bars of soap when they get low and place them around my plants that the critters like to eat.  It's been working for about 3 years now and besides....who likes to use the last little bit of a soap bar?  LOL  The stronger scented the better!

I used to use the soap and it did seem to work for deer. It is hard to tell as they come and go. I think that dead is the only solution to groundhogs. A couple of nights ago one ate off my Osteospermum. It was two feet tall and gorgeous. I'm not given to paying much for annuals but this was too pretty to resist. All that was left were two inch stem and a couple of buds left on the ground. This was within a couple of yards of my kitchen window.  Grrrrrr!