GoDuBois.com

Interesting Plant Mutation

lavender

Many years ago I bought a peach colored, variegated brugmansia at Longwood Gardens. It is the first one. It isn't a particularly robust plant but it blooms periodically with the peach colored flowers fading to white as they age.   A couple of years ago it threw off a green "sport". We are always advised to take these off or they tend to take over the plant. Sometimes they are desirable variations and that is where we get a number of unusual plants. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away so I rooted it. It finally has bloomed. The buds are yellow and they open to a white flower with a yellow tint. It is a faster growing much sturdier plant that the parent. Something interesting when the snow is flying!

varigated.jpg

green.jpg

FYI.... there is a greenhouse for sale/trade in the clsfids

Saw that but do I need another? I've got the one in the picture which is heated and attached to the house. Then I have a huge commercial sized one where I grow my seedlings and grow plants for the garden club. That isn't heated but is handy in the spring. It gets the perennials off to a good start and houses plant babies. Don't you need one?

Is this the same as Angels Trumpet or Devils Trumpet (sp)

They changed the taxonomy on these but according to my understanding is this is a brugmansia or angel's trumpet. It grows quite large and treelike and can get woody. It isn't hardy around here and as you can see the flowers are pendulous. Devi's trumpet or datura is more of a bush and the flowers are not pendulous. The datura have spiny seeds and the brugmansia have smooth seeds. Jimson weed is an example of datura. We've managed to get datura through some of our warmer winters. There are some on the embankment replacing the ones that were winter killed a couple of years ago. Those are the white ones. The little purple ones reseed so readily that they are almost a weed. They never come through the winter.

People tend to use angel's trumpet and devil's trumpet interchangeably and since common names are not specific the answer to your question is "yes". 

Brugmansia is a small tree and the flowers face downwards which is why it is nicknamed Angel's Trumpet.  Generally it is started by rooting cuttings.

Datura is a short plant and the flowers face upwards which is why it is nicknamed Devil's Trumpet.  This one is started by seeds.

That one may come back up from self seeding or you can collect seeds, store them in the refrigerator and toss them into a planting bed in the spring.

The Brugmansia you take in for the winter, cut it back, root the cuttings and in the spring you'll have a bunch to share.

If you want one, Bon, I'll get you a seedling datura  in the spring either purple or white. I have my ways. The new green brug roots easily but the variegated one not so much.  If I get to it I might try to get the peach one to set seed. Again I have my ways.

Datura is hallucinogenic. It may or may not have been what caused the Salem witch trials. Ever hear of loco weed? Farmer's hate it and it is on the list of noxious invasive weeds. Not that hardy around here so it usually isn't a problem but out west it is a problem with the cattle.