GoDuBois.com

Need gardening help for my poor day lillys!

mollycan

So of course my Day Lillys have been snowed on.  The leaves have been out.  Should I cut them back again when this cold weather is over.  Will they come back?  This has never happened and they've been here for years.

My day lilies don't start coming up till may.

Mine come up every year, when it first starts getting warm actually you can see them coming out when its still cold,  and grow like crazy.  Maybe a different variety?

They know what they are doing so just let them alone.  Some plants can create a sort of anti-freeze to protect themselves.  Others drop the leaves and start again when it's warmer.  The only problem arises from repeated deep freezes.  They'll be fine.

The deer eat mine off every year. Also the iris. It doesn't bother them one bit. Neither will the snow. I doubt that it is actually cold

enough to freeze them. Some daylilies are actually considered "evergreen" meaning that they stay green all winter so as a whole they

are a hardy bunch. No worries on this one.

How come animals will eat things that smell like other animals? Such as, Easter lilies smell like skunk when they start coming up in the spring. Salvia smells like cat piss when they get wet or dying off. Marigolds, same thing.

Who knows why animals do anything. Maybe they smell different to the animals than they do to people. Usually they stay away from things that have

a strong odor though. Can you really get Easter lilies to come back? Anytime I've tried they freeze over the winter. Asiatic lilies are good though.

They know what they are doing so just let them alone.  Some plants can create a sort of anti-freeze to protect themselves.  Others drop the leaves and start again when it's warmer.  The only problem arises from repeated deep freezes.  They'll be fine.

Thank-you!

The deer eat mine off every year. Also the iris. It doesn't bother them one bit. Neither will the snow. I doubt that it is actually cold

enough to freeze them. Some daylilies are actually considered "evergreen" meaning that they stay green all winter so as a whole they

are a hardy bunch. No worries on this one.

Good news...Thanks!

Lavender, yes I have had my Easter lilies come back. Before we put the rock garden up to the house, that area was grass & flower beds. I planted the Easter lilies about a foot from the house. They got morning sun & very little wind. They came up for 4 or 5 years till we ripped everything out for the rock garden.

we always knew when they were starting to come up because of the skunk smell. At first we thought we had a skunk family living under the front porch. Lol. When they got bigger is when we figured out where the smell was from.

I also planted house azalea's & roses close to the house. Again, morning sun. They did really good & lasted about 5 years.

Lavender, yes I have had my Easter lilies come back. Before we put the rock garden up to the house, that area was grass & flower beds. I planted the Easter lilies about a foot from the house. They got morning sun & very little wind. They came up for 4 or 5 years till we ripped everything out for the rock garden.

we always knew when they were starting to come up because of the skunk smell. At first we thought we had a skunk family living under the front porch. Lol. When they got bigger is when we figured out where the smell was from.

I also planted house azalea's & roses close to the house. Again, morning sun. They did really good & lasted about 5 years.

There was a gardener up by Christ the King who managed to get cannas to overwinter. You just never know. I lost all of my mums two winters ago and I'd

had them for years.

I'd say leave them alone. Daylilies usually take care of themselves. If the leaves are just yellow they may not be dead but just haven't developed cholophyl

yet. If they were under snow or mulch they could be experiencing chlorosis. This will clear up. If the leaves are dead they will wilt and disappear.

Why take the chance on cutting back living leaves when it isn't necessary? I just went out to look at mine and the deer have eaten them all

down to the ground so I couldn't say what the tips looked like.

I'd say leave them alone. Daylilies usually take care of themselves. If the leaves are just yellow they may not be dead but just haven't developed cholophyl

yet. If they were under snow or mulch they could be experiencing chlorosis. This will clear up. If the leaves are dead they will wilt and disappear.

Why take the chance on cutting back living leaves when it isn't necessary? I just went out to look at mine and the deer have eaten them all

down to the ground so I couldn't say what the tips looked like.

They are wilted.  I will follow your advice, you know better then I do.  Thanks again so much for your help!

Watch for fresh new growth in the next couple of weeks.  If they stay yellow then maybe they will need a weak dose of high nitrogen fertilizer.  The yellow should be temporary because of the cold temperatures.

Thank-you!  I know its a big tado about nothing really important, just would hate to loose  them.

They will be OK. Mine are currently eaten off to the ground and they will be back as soon as the deer get over their spring pig-out. There is enough

energy stored in those rhizomes to put up new leaves more than once or even twice.