GoDuBois.com

Gardens

steelnut

Do any of you grow Kohlrabi? I love it!! I can't take care of a garden anymore. I used to plant that along with corn, pumpkins, onions, garlic, peppers, beans, lettuce, and a cherry tomato plant (weenies love them).

Last year by Snappy's there was a guy selling veggies, and he had kohlrabi. We always said we would stop on the way home, we always forgot. I only want 1!!!

I'm not sure if there are any left after the BUDS Plant Bazaar, but I think there may have been a 6 pack actually donated to us.  I'll check it out the next time I go to the greenhouse.  They're yours!

If anyone else is looking for specific plants then go to the Plant Bazaar page on the website and you can see what was left.

www.budsgardeners.com

F'chipmunks are my pest & shoot at them with pellets, with fill buckets 1/4 full with h20 and a few drown, but unless you constantly watch the dumb quarrels knock the wood ramp so chipf's can crawl up it. Tried to convince somebody's indoor cat tha escapes weekly to kill them, but it wants petted, I don't pet it...dumb cat

But congrats to all the nice gardens posted

My cabbage, lettuce is doing great. In the bottom garen looks like the cauliflower, brussel sprouts and Broccoli are getting the leaves eaten by something.

I may have to try the vinegar trick and see if it works.

Peppers and Tomatoes are in and are pretty much the same as when I planted them.

The celery is doing good.

The middle of the garden is not bare it has watermelon, squash and pumpkins planted in it.

Oh and in pic 5 you can see rogue potatoes from a couple years ago popping up through.

Great pix, thanks for sharing.  Your 4th one looks exactly what is happening to some of our plants. Hubby built two 4 x 10 raised beds last year just to see how they would do. They're in our regular garden. And then we plant the rest as usual. This year, I planted 6 mucho nacho jalapeno's, 12 regular jalape

F'chipmunks are my pest & shoot at them with pellets, with fill buckets 1/4 full with h20 and a few drown, but unless you constantly watch the dumb quarrels knock the wood ramp so chipf's can crawl up it. Tried to convince somebody's indoor cat tha escapes weekly to kill them, but it wants petted, I don't pet it...dumb cat

But congrats to all the nice gardens posted

Chippies!!! I have two sunflower beds. One is doing very well. The other one, I had a lot of them coming up, but on Friday, I went to check on them and they were GONE! I could see where something was in there digging around. I know deer love them, but usually they wait until the sunflowers are bigger to attack them. And it wasn't deer tracks in the bed. Today, hubby was mowing and as he came around the garage by that bed, a chippie jumped out of the bed and made a bee line to the patio. I'm just hoping that it doesn't find the other sunflower bed. Hubby said he'd set a humane trap for it, I don't know if it will work or not. I'm going to replant tomorrow, though it's a little late.

Does anyone know of anything to keep chippies out of flower beds?

Do any of you grow Kohlrabi? I love it!! I can't take care of a garden anymore. I used to plant that along with corn, pumpkins, onions, garlic, peppers, beans, lettuce, and a cherry tomato plant (weenies love them).

Last year by Snappy's there was a guy selling veggies, and he had kohlrabi. We always said we would stop on the way home, we always forgot. I only want 1!!!

Yes, I found 4 Kohlrabi.

I just saw this and saw that Petee has four for you. If it doesn't work out and IF mine survive whatever is invading my garden, once ready, I'll share. I LOVE to make a kohlrabi slaw with other veggies! What do you do with them, same thing?

Chippies!!! I have two sunflower beds.

Yes, yes I do!! My oldest ween(Harley Ann)loves to chase chippies, all day long. Sometimes we have to make her come in at 9-9:30, you can borrow her for the summer. She eats at 6 & 6, no people food, but lots of cool refreshing water. She also loves to try to get to the rabbits under the sheds & bushes. No luck, lol.

They are good just sliced thinly for snacking.  Slaw would be a great use for them too.

I love snacking on them too! My favorite is to julienne them along with red onion, carrots and peppers with my Gram's cole slaw dressing. I found a recipe for fritters with kohlrabi and I think carrots and onions that I want to try if mine survive. 

Yes, yes I do!! My oldest ween(Harley Ann)loves to chase chippies, all day long. Sometimes we have to make her come in at 9-9:30, you can borrow her for the summer. She eats at 6 & 6, no people food, but lots of cool refreshing water. She also loves to try to get to the rabbits under the sheds & bushes. No luck, lol.

:), :), :)

Okay on 6/10, I was heart sick at the way my garden looked. What a difference some rain makes! After the downpour we had on Thursday, I thought it may be all over, I was wrong. Other than the damage to my mucho nacho jalape

Arggg, the garden was looking so great! This morning I went up just to check and evidently a rabbit got underneath the lowest rung of our electric fence and feasted on the green and wax beans.  No tracks at all, so it had to have been a rabbit. Most only have the stalk left, a few have a some leaves left. Nothing else was touched? 

Question is, if only the stalk is left, they're done for, correct? I tried to research it and got impatient trying to read through all of the sites that didn't give any answers. The plants were 5 - 6" high, I could have cried when I saw what happened.  

I posted previously about my one sunflower bed that the chippies destroyed, I replanted the seeds and the next morning I checked and it was all dug up again! How in the heck do they know that those new seeds are in the ground???  

16 minutes ago, steelnut said:

Arggg, the garden was looking so great! This morning I went up just to check and evidently a rabbit got underneath the lowest rung of our electric fence and feasted on the green and wax beans.  No tracks at all, so it had to have been a rabbit. Most only have the stalk left, a few have a some leaves left. Nothing else was touched? 

Question is, if only the stalk is left, they're done for, correct? I tried to research it and got impatient trying to read through all of the sites that didn't give any answers. The plants were 5 - 6" high, I could have cried when I saw what happened.  

I posted previously about my one sunflower bed that the chippies destroyed, I replanted the seeds and the next morning I checked and it was all dug up again! How in the heck do they know that those new seeds are in the ground???  

could have been crows or some other bird

2 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

could have been crows or some other bird

We thought about that, but nothing, absolutely nothing else was touched? Our peas are doing great and not one of them was touched, no peppers, kohlrabi, cabbage, etc. 

UGH! But, that's gardening. You just never know! 

Steelnut, I always tried to start my sunflowers inside. I love all the different kinds & colors of sunflowers. If you give up this year, just remember to start them inside next year. Plus find a very good mouser cat to scare away the rabbits, chippies, birds, squirrels, & mice!!

22 hours ago, Bon said:

Steelnut, I always tried to start my sunflowers inside. I love all the different kinds & colors of sunflowers. If you give up this year, just remember to start them inside next year. Plus find a very good mouser cat to scare away the rabbits, chippies, birds, squirrels, & mice!!

Hmmm, I've never started them inside before! My other bed is doing great so far, evidently the chippies haven't discovered it yet. Usually the only problem I have with my sunflower beds are the deer. I faithfully spray the stinky stuff on them to keep deer away, but when we get rain numerous days in a row, it washes it all off and the deer start munching.

Lettuce is huge this year. We are getting "volunteers" that start very early and are much bigger than the planted rows. No bolting yet. The spinach has bolted though. Kale is doing nicely. The red Russian variety stays tender all summer and can be used in salads.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:28 PM, steelnut said:

Chippies!!! I have two sunflower beds. One is doing very well. The other one, I had a lot of them coming up, but on Friday, I went to check on them and they were GONE! I could see where something was in there digging around. I know deer love them, but usually they wait until the sunflowers are bigger to attack them. And it wasn't deer tracks in the bed. Today, hubby was mowing and as he came around the garage by that bed, a chippie jumped out of the bed and made a bee line to the patio. I'm just hoping that it doesn't find the other sunflower bed. Hubby said he'd set a humane trap for it, I don't know if it will work or not. I'm going to replant tomorrow, though it's a little late.

You can try dried blood.  It stinks but you don't have to use a lot of it.  Also, it will make your plants GROW.  Use sparingly.

On 6/20/2017 at 8:25 PM, steelnut said:

If the plants had a good root system and the leaf axials are intact then they may well come back stronger than ever.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bon said:

I forgot when I responded about getting a good mouser. I'd love to but hubby, son and grandsons are all allergic to cats. Only myself and dil are immune. Even though son and family don't live with us, they always stop in a few times each week and hubby would be miserable. I'd be afraid to have an outdoor only cat. Many reasons. Winter, all of the hawks that we see out here, roaming onto other's property, getting hit by a vehicle .... :(