GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

Petee, if it helps, I hardly ever see veins in the eggs, they're just too thick. I candle from the fat end down. I can see the air sack, and if the egg is developing a dark shadow. Infertile eggs will be opaque, and the light will go all the way through the egg. With eggs developing you won't see much past the line of the air sack, especially after day 8 or 9. This doesn't help determine the quitters, but it will let you pull infertiles at lockdown

Thanks.  Candling the dark eggs is really tough.

Tonight after dark we are turning out all of the lights and checking them.  I have a touch lamp ready.

Last night I had a hard time getting the incubator back to 99 after all of the fiddling around.  Hubby came in and I had my insulated winter coat wrapped around it.  He just looked at me funny and figured I was up to something. 

I talked to the butcher in Troutville today.   Boy can he talk!!  :)

He said if you call him on a Monday morning in June, then you drop off your chicken(s) that evening.  He does them on Tuesday and you can pick them up a few days later.  It figured out to be something like $4-$5 so that's not bad at all.

I'm working myself up to it.

Hubby and I candled the eggs this evening.  Some of them have mottling in the coloring which makes it hard to see past, but I think we did it right.  I added a little bit of humidity because it was down to 20 percent and the temperature is holding at 99 degrees.

I sent the candling info to Steve to post here.  If we're correct, we have three duds and 18 chicks.  The duds would be two larger ? eggs and one medium mottled egg.  I forgot about listing the shading on a few eggs and of course it was two of these.  I hope you can figure out which rooster is doing it's job!  :rolleyes:

Hubby and I candled the eggs this evening.  Some of them have mottling in the coloring which makes it hard to see past, but I think we did it right.  I added a little bit of humidity because it was down to 20 percent and the temperature is holding at 99 degrees.

I sent the candling info to Steve to post here.  If we're correct, we have three duds and 18 chicks.  The duds would be two larger ? eggs and one medium mottled egg.  I forgot about listing the shading on a few eggs and of course it was two of these.  I hope you can figure out which rooster is doing it's job!  :rolleyes:

18? Wow! That's awesome!

I'm so glad I sent the eggs from the young girls. I rarely see the chickens during the week, so I wasn't sure if that rooster was getting the job done yet, but I'm seeing good fertility in my set as well. I did get to spend some time with them this weekend, and it was like Caligula in that pen :shock1:

I'm surprised the big eggs are the ones not developing, but maybe they were more susceptible to disruption during shipping. Maybe those smaller, compact eggs kept the yolks from getting shaken up too much.

I really hope you have a good hatch rate. With that many developing, you should at least get the  number of girls you wanted for yourself. If you have room to grow the roosters until they are big enough to take to that butcher, BCM are some of the best eating chickens around.

The other good news with those younger eggs developing is that rooster is the best I have. He has a great body type, his color is fantastic, and the girls with him have a nice green sheen to their black feathers. You will have Bev Davis show chickens as your backyard layers :drinks:

ETE: When you add water, is it warm? That will help bring the temperature back up quickly, especially in Styrofoam. I may be telling you something you already know, just trying to pass along a trick or two

On those mottled eggs, I get that a lot from new layers. As the girls get older, the mottling will go away, and the eggs will usually be the color of the darker spots all over. The eggs are darkest when they are young, then slowly lighten throughout the season. That's why the small eggs are darker than the big ones. After the first molt, the eggs will darken and start the cycle all over again

Yes, I added water the same temperature as the incubator.  I think we just had the incubator open too long.

Actually I have a part time job but it doesn't stop me from wanting to do something new.  I love logistics.  Most people run but I say how the heck can we beat the odds and get this done!

I hope many more people will consider adding a small chicken coop to their back yard.  It is so much fun to watch them.  As a matter of fact we are moving our outdoor seating area and canopy to the shaded area beside the girls so we can enjoy them more.

Yes, I added water the same temperature as the incubator.  I think we just had the incubator open too long.

Actually I have a part time job but it doesn't stop me from wanting to do something new.  I love logistics.  Most people run but I say how the heck can we beat the odds and get this done!

I hope many more people will consider adding a small chicken coop to their back yard.  It is so much fun to watch them.  As a matter of fact we are moving our outdoor seating area and canopy to the shaded area beside the girls so we can enjoy them more.

I love just hanging out with the chickens at the end of the day. They are just happy creatures, without a care in the world. They don't require a ton of room, either. Free ranging is nice, but with just a few birds and no rooster you are just feeding the local wildlife. A 10x10 dog kennel would be more than enough room for 8-10 birds. I usually shoot for 10 square feet/bird in a permanent pen, but most of my pens are closer to 20. I will let them out sometimes in the afternoon if I am home, but they are perfectly content in their pens

I did not find chickens fun when I was in high school but they were not pets for us.  Every morning collect eggs before school, I should have been a football kicker because I got good at punting.  One Sunday a month was slaughter day, we only did 25 to 50 and it really did not take too long but I hated it.  If you do slaughter your own chickens I can say hanging them upside down on a line to dispatch is much easier and it is quick when you are doing a large amount at one time.  They will not be flopping on the ground and getting dirty.

I did not find chickens fun when I was in high school but they were not pets for us.  Every morning collect eggs before school, I should have been a football kicker because I got good at punting.  One Sunday a month was slaughter day, we only did 25 to 50 and it really did not take too long but I hated it.  If you do slaughter your own chickens I can say hanging them upside down on a line to dispatch is much easier and it is quick when you are doing a large amount at one time.  They will not be flopping on the ground and getting dirty.

I use a "killing cone". Less messy, and keeps the meat from getting bruised. I don't do it often, and like someone else said, it's too easy to get them at the store, but after punting a rooster for the 7th or 8th time...

I'm working on an idea to get them out to fresh grass every day possible without them running loose.  It should be fun interacting with the girls to make it work.

I have a portable run that I made from 2x4s and bird netting. I can move it from pen to pen, let them out for a bit in the afternoon, then they go back up when it's time to roost.

Half of my garden is planted just for the chickens

I have the Lockdown scheduled for Tuesday.  I can't believe how much different they feel when I roll them.

If anyone here raises chickens for good bloodlines and will be hatching out in the next year, then please let me know and I'll reserve a chick or two for you.  Otherwise they will probably be going to 4H kids.  I can't keep more than 5 because my coop isn't that big.  One old biddy will be in the stew pot in June so that will be my maximum of 8.

I have the Lockdown scheduled for Tuesday.  I can't believe how much different they feel when I roll them.

If anyone here raises chickens for good bloodlines and will be hatching out in the next year, then please let me know and I'll reserve a chick or two for you.  Otherwise they will probably be going to 4H kids.  I can't keep more than 5 because my coop isn't that big.  One old biddy will be in the stew pot in June so that will be my maximum of 8.

Thanks for posting and I find myself looking forward to the next posts.  I find these timeline posts interesting and educational.

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic