GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

What do you think you did wrong? I've had many conversations with the woman who wrote that article, and it's a good article, but the things she says are not the gospel. Some things that work for her don't work for me, and vice versa. I've never been a believer in letting shipped eggs sit for a day. I think the results are more coincidence than fact. Your eggs are developing. You're already ahead of the curve ;)

When I read all of that and realized I hadn't even thought about 99% of it, then I felt like an idiot for trying.  

The first time the kids and I did them, we had a little folder that came with the incubator and no other information but we got chicks!  Then we got ducks!  I guess it's like raising anything else.  It happens on its own and we're just the facilitator......sometimes.

I'm a worrier and therefore I love logistics!  When I realize I missed most of the steps, then I worry some more.  :(

When I read all of that and realized I hadn't even thought about 99% of it, then I felt like an idiot for trying.

The first time the kids and I did them, we had a little folder that came with the incubator and no other information but we got chicks! Then we got ducks! I guess it's like raising anything else. It happens on its own and we're just the facilitator......sometimes.

I'm a worrier and therefore I love logistics! When I realize I missed most of the steps, then I worry some more. :(

That's funny, because Sally is a worrier who is into all the details as well. I'm the opposite, I'm hands off, set and forget, and she and I had very similar hatch rates. She is the one that taught me about incubating dry, though

Can you tell us more about Sally and her chickens?

Sally doesn't hatch much any more, but she used to hatch and sell a lot. She was the first person I knew with Brahmas, those giant chickens that everyone started talking about a month ago. She had them years ago.

No one is better with a Styrofoam incubator than her, and as you saw, she compiles massive amounts of data. There's not much about hatching that she can't give you advice on.

She had some pretty major health issues a few years back and disappeared from BYC for a while, but she still comes around. She doesn't have nearly the chickens she used to, but she's a fountain of information, and will gladly talk to anyone that asks

I stopped turning mine this morning, I will bump the humidity up tonight. The Brinsea has smaller water channels, and if I fill up on day 18, I end up having to add water again on day 21. Usually there are pippers and zippers that day, so I hate to open the incubator.

I'm so much more worried about your hatch than I am mine :pray:

What is your target number of girls? I really hope that you at least get what you wanted. I can't wait to see pictures after the hatch

Here are some pictures of the last hatch:

081.JPG

078.JPG

It's kind of hard to see, but see the one near the top, kind of off to the right that looks a little lighter than the others? That's a blue. It's a little hard to tell the difference in the picture, but a little easier to see in person. If you have any blues, they will come from the big eggs, which I know you've lost a few of

I thought I heard a peep this morning, and tonight it's a definite. One of them is in there just peeping away! Even though this is what I've been working for, it's still a surprise that there are actual living chicks in there! Hopefully there will be babies in the morning.

do you have any pips yet? I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or two chicks by tonight

I only opened it a crack to add water and it's back under the styrofoam away from the window so I'm not sure if there are any pips. If I can catch them hatching I would like to see which egg they come out of.

It is tough to see through those little windows. Once they start zipping, I'd pass on catching which egg if it means opening the incubator. Don't want to risk the membrane drying and sticking the chick in the shell.

I'm about 12 hours behind you. I may have some pips by tonight. The Brinsea is a little easier to see in, so if I have some I'll post pics so people will know what we are talking about

I'm dying to know! I came home from errands and had to check the incubator before I even carried in the rest of the groceries. It's darned hot and humid out there today!

And???

It popped out of the shell about 5:30 and immediately made its way to the front of the incubator where there's a little light. It's knocking all of the other eggs around and I think it's egg #2. I forgot that I had set them in order in the incubator.

that soccer game will continue for about the next 16 hours. it's always a hard call between letting the chicks kick them around, or risking opening incubator to take them out.

don't give them any sweet tea or grits, once you start down that road it's hard to turn around ;)

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic