GoDuBois.com

I'm so happy!

Finally after a six month winter, my flower beds are alive and beautiful, thank you God!  I was feeling like it would never happen, but everything is finally coming alive, the fruit trees are so full of blossoms, it just makes me so happy!   :)  :)  :)

Me too! For the first time in many years it looks as though the frost isn't going to get the dogwoods. Did you ever try covering a tree with a blanket? The bulbs are spectacular this year. Bleeding heart, helebores, and for-get-me- nots are blooming their hearts out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a six month winter, my flower beds are alive and beautiful, thank you God!  I was feeling like it would never happen, but everything is finally coming alive, the fruit trees are so full of blossoms, it just makes me so happy!   :)  :)  :)

I just knew that I posted too darned soon. Heavy frost this week did a lot of damage, so sad. We've only gotten peaches five times over 20 years, and this years blossoms were unbelievable. I think we'll still get some pears, but not as many as we would have without the heavy frost. Bummer

I can remember when I was small and my grandparents would go out and spray down the fruit trees with water early in the morning after a frost...does this work? I can't remember if it did....I was pretty young.....

You have to go out before the sun hits the ice crystals and water till the temperature rises.  That can take a while.  If it's a small shrub then you have a chance, if it's a tree then just kiss it goodbye till next spring. 

My Japanese Maple and Tri-color Beech both got nailed bad.  Sniff!

I can remember when I was small and my grandparents would go out and spray down the fruit trees with water early in the morning after a frost...does this work? I can't remember if it did....I was pretty young.....

We didn't get up early enough on Monday to spray, but hubby did on Tuesday morning. Our fruit trees are too far away from the house for the hose to reach, but he has a huge spray thing that he filled with water over and over again and sprayed them down. We'll see how it goes, here's hoping!

In years past we sprayed down veggies in the garden early in the morning to save them and it always worked.

I always just cover veggies but it is nice to hear about someone who has some practical experience with this at the local level. Lots of theory out there anymore but little in the way of actual down to earth information. The old gardeners are passing and a lot of their information is going with them. Thanks!

Oh, and I had this last frost/freeze go right through the coverings. I guess if the material touches the plant the likelihood of it freezing is higher. Buckets work better if the plant is small enough. I saved the lilies but the hostas are a mess. 

As I said last year, a tent of plastic anchored to the ground works to hold in heat from the ground.  Fabric only lets any heat the plant has accumulated around it escape.  Just be sure to pull it off before the sun hits it. Just add a stake to hold it a little higher than the plant.

wow!!!!!   Thanks for all your help!!!!      Debating whether to make crabapple jelly in September as our tree is in glorious bloom!!!!   How many of you eat crabapple jelly??????   I only like strwberry;  have a dear friend taht likes it and that is the only reason I make it.....takes hours to do it!!!!

I always just cover veggies but it is nice to hear about someone who has some practical experience with this at the local level. Lots of theory out there anymore but little in the way of actual down to earth information. The old gardeners are passing and a lot of their information is going with them. Thanks!

Oh, and I had this last frost/freeze go right through the coverings. I guess if the material touches the plant the likelihood of it freezing is higher. Buckets work better if the plant is small enough. I saved the lilies but the hostas are a mess. 

Some of our hostas got it too as in years past. We take of the damaged parts, very slimy...but they come right back. My lilies have never been affected by frost for some reason?

Any frost protector touching the plant will allow the plant to be frosted, you need to have a layer of air between the plant  and the protection!ha

I've never had this problem with fabric coverings before but, of course, what you say makes sense. It is just not always possible to get sufficient air space unless you want to put frames around all of your plants. This year temperatures were probably colder than covering could deal with.   I know plastic tossed over a plant does no good whatsoever. A bucket provides the air space and I find that they work best. Unfortunately, buckets aren't big enough for my hostas. 

Some of our hostas got it too as in years past. We take of the damaged parts, very slimy...but they come right back. My lilies have never been affected by frost for some reason?

I think I am going to cut off the damaged leaves this year. They got it last year too and looked awful all year. I was told that you can actually mow hostas off when they are badly damaged and they will return good as new. Not ready for that drastic a step yet.