GoDuBois.com

New motorcycle helmet law now in effect In Delaware.

Bon

A new motorcycle helmet law went into effect in Delaware on September 1, 2023, aimed at protecting new motorcyclists.

Senate Bill 86, which was signed into law by Governor John Carney on June 30th, requires motorcyclists to wear a helmet for the first two years after getting their motorcycle license endorsement, regardless of age.

Previously, every adult operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle is required to have a helmet in their possession and wear eye protection while operating or riding a motorcycle.

And every person up to 19 years of age must wear a helmet and eye protection.

State Representative Daniel Short was House sponsor of Senate Bill 86. Short raced motorcycles competitively.

"We were geared up," said Short, who raced for four years. "Dressed up in leather, big boots with steel toes, and a nice helmet. The track was probably a lot more civil than what is going on out on the highway today, and guess what, going Route 13 and Route 1 is not a competitive sport."

According to the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles, nineteen states and the District of Columbia currently require all motorcyclists to wear a helmet.

In Delaware last year 22 motorcyclists were killed in crashes. So far this year that number stands at twelve

1 hour ago, fedup said:

Nice going Bon🍻 Bringing up the age old argument concerning government control/personal freedom.

Masks,shots vs no masks, no shots.

The voted for government will never stop trying to make inroads into people's freedoms for votes.

Amen to that!!!!  When I read it...disgusted me because there's more rights the government is taking away from under the guise "but it's the best for you and everyone'.

5 hours ago, Polo said:

I personally think its a good law.  Especially with new cyclists.  After that, let them do what they want.  I personally would wear a helmet, but if someone wants to do the opposite, its their choice.

There is no law needed for adults on motorcycles. It's called freedom. Anyone under the age of 16 should be required to wear a helmet because they ain't mature enough to make a decision not to.

O WAIT liberals say kids under the age of 16 can decide to cut their boobs or Johnsons off as long as someone or something pays a crooked doctor to do so.

So maybe kids don't need a voted for government to make them wear a helmet.

See how Liberal stupid works people. Once you accept the first stupid liberal move you are forever controlled by liberals and their hypocritical stupidity.

Get on your bike and feel the breeze of freedom if you bounce your head off of the blacktop, it's your head.

18 hours ago, fedup said:

There is no law needed for adults on motorcycles. It's called freedom. Anyone under the age of 16 should be required to wear a helmet because they ain't mature enough to make a decision not to.

O WAIT liberals say kids under the age of 16 can decide to cut their boobs or Johnsons off as long as someone or something pays a crooked doctor to do so.

So maybe kids don't need a voted for government to make them wear a helmet.

See how Liberal stupid works people. Once you accept the first stupid liberal move you are forever controlled by liberals and their hypocritical stupidity.

Get on your bike and feel the breeze of freedom if you bounce your head off of the blacktop, it's your head.

As for my opinion, kids under the age of 18 should be required to wear helmets & take the MSC. 

3 hours ago, pwacm said:

In my opinion I don't think the government should require you to wear a helmet, BUT if you bang your head off the pavment and can't be a contributing member of society don't expect the same government to take care of you. 

Yep