GoDuBois.com

Just have to VENT! (stupid deer)

gopsu

I planted some new shrubs this weekend.  All of them said they were "Deer Resistant".

Barberry, Weigelia, Butterfly Bush & some Red Fountain Grass

We will find out in a couple weeks.

I also dug up the Azalea's and brought them back for my son's house in Hagerstown.  No deer issues there :)

Hopefully they will make a come back.

I've got all of those and the deer never touch any of them but I don't live at Treasure Lake. From what I am told they get so hungry there that they will eat anything. I'm betting though that they won't eat the grasses. Those things are razor sharp and I have a cut on my thumb right now to prove it. Butterfly bushes mostly die down to the ground in the winter around here. If they clean them off then it won't matter much.

I think that this is the way to go in areas where there is a problem  with deer or groundhogs. Just plant ornamentals that they won't eat. We've done this with both larger gardens on the embankment with good results. The garden across from Harley-Davidson is mostly filled with things that the groundhogs don't bother. Despite bottles of fox urine and spraying with liquid fence they still go in and eat off the liatris and Asiatic lilies but after the first couple of years they quit hanging around to eat the roses and other things. They do have plenty to eat in that area other than what we plant so it is just a matter of warding them off.

Let us know how it goes. Lists of things that the local animals won't eat are handy to have. You can't trust the ones you get on-line or in books.

• 1 month later...

After the first "All You Can Buffet" of hostas, they grew back. I have been spraying them with Liquid Fence religiously.

Well after all the rain the past 2-3 days, it must have washed off. This morning when I left for work, all hostas were in tact. When I got home this afternoon, the STUPID deer ate them AGAIN.

Does anybody know of a way to booby-trap the hostas? I'm thinking a motion sensor and a super high pressure water hose or maybe an electric shock (kind of like an electric fence). Something just to give them the hint to stay away!!!

http://www.aimergard.com/Products.aspx'> http://www.aimergard.com/Products.aspx                                  <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

After the first "All You Can Buffet" of hostas, they grew back. I have been spraying them with Liquid Fence religiously.

Well after all the rain the past 2-3 days, it must have washed off. This morning when I left for work, all hostas were in tact. When I got home this afternoon, the STUPID deer ate them AGAIN.

Does anybody know of a way to booby-trap the hostas? I'm thinking a motion sensor and a super high pressure water hose or maybe an electric shock (kind of like an electric fence). Something just to give them the hint to stay away!!!

Actually they sell exactly the booby trap you are taling about.  It's a high pressure hose that is attached to a motion sensor that activates when anything comes within range then it turns off again.  I posted the link before.

• 4 weeks later...

informally the Game Commission has ruined things again  . Use to be archery , small game , then bear , buck , doe , black powder ,  now its bullshit , I will not go out wit a kid holding a gun...............  I think the state better get a grip on things