GoDuBois.com

Just have to VENT! (stupid deer)

gopsu

Due to all the rain we've been getting and the consistent nature of it, I haven't sprayed our hostas and other flowers in a few weeks. That was a no, no!

I pulled into the driveway this evening and the deer had some good eatin'! They ate the hostas in the front yard off our porch. Luckily, they didn't get all of them (we have a lot of hostas).

I just hope that the eaten ones will eventually grow back this year yet because it looks really bad where they're missing!

They will grow back, right?

:pray:

I don't feel like digging some of the others up and splitting them.

You're in TL, right? I think we will plant nothing but ornamental grasses. I like them and I know the deer won't eat them.

I've never had any luck with hostas even here - slugs. I've salted them, beered them, poisoned them..nothing works.

Guest madre

They may still grow back this year.  It's early yet.  They'll definitely grow next year.  When we lived in TL, we never had any luck with anything that wasn't fenced...even the stuff that they're not supposed to want!

Due to all the rain we've been getting and the consistent nature of it, I haven't sprayed our hostas and other flowers in a few weeks. That was a no, no!

I pulled into the driveway this evening and the deer had some good eatin'! They ate the hostas in the front yard off our porch. Luckily, they didn't get all of them (we have a lot of hostas).

I just hope that the eaten ones will eventually grow back this year yet because it looks really bad where they're missing!

They will grow back, right?

:pray:

I don't feel like digging some of the others up and splitting them.

Guess they got tired of the stuff they were eating over at our house :)

They'll come back this year but I don't suppose they will bloom. Mine are blooming right now so they probably got the flower stems as well. I went through that frustration for years until I moved them away from the woods. Our deer don't tend to be as friendly as the ones at Treasure Lake and ordinarily won't approach the house.  

They'll come back this year but I don't suppose they will bloom. Mine are blooming right now so they probably got the flower stems as well. I went through that frustration for years until I moved them away from the woods. Our deer don't tend to be as friendly as the ones at Treasure Lake and ordinarily won't approach the house.  

I think my local deer would sit down at the table and have cocktails! These things are way too tame in here!

Treasure Lake needs to open up the hunting area and allow you to hunt off your own property with a bow (as long as there obviously aren't next door neighbors, etc.).

As far as the hostas go, they were starting to bloom. They just shot up, but didn't yet open up.

The deer didn't touch the ones away from the house, they ate the ones CLOSEST to the house! Grrrrrrrrrr!

Did you write a note and tell them to go down the street a few houses? Gee whiz.....thanks!

Well apparently the word got out.  There was quite a dinner party when we got here last evening.  4 or 5 came out of our yard, and I could see another 4 or 5 crossing in front of your house.

Some went across the street to the vacant house, and we watched one stand up on his hind legs to eat leaves off a tree.

Guest madre

Have you noticed when you look through the woods there...everything from about 4 feet down is clear!  I've never seen deer eat leaves like those deer do.  Guess there aren't enough hostas to go around    ;)

Semi-tame wild animals are a bad, bad thing and can become a danger. Ours come close to the house only when they get desperate in the winter. I agree that Treasure Lake needs  to do something about the deer. I was up there the other day and watched them grazing within yards of people working outside. They are undersized and don't look nearly as healthy as the deer outside the Lake. Someone needs to take responsibility for controlling the deer population. The current situation isn't good for either the deer or the residents.

Semi-tame? The last time my husband was there a deer stuck his head in the window of his car...a duck sat next to him on his tools..not so sure about the "semi" :)

The deer stand and watch me mow the lawn! They are only like 5 yards away. Anywhere else, they would be DINNER on the table.

The only timid deer in here are the fawns. I guess the Mother Deer haven't taught them to calm down yet!

If you think about though, the deer were there 1st and everyone moved into their territory! Those poor deer look sickly. I think we should be allowed to feed them or have feeders out in the woods for them.

If you think about though, the deer were there 1st and everyone moved into their territory! Those poor deer look sickly. I think we should be allowed to feed them or have feeders out in the woods for them.

A lot of people DO feed the deer.

Guest madre

The problem is severe overpopulation.  Keep feeding them and they keep breeding and eating more.  They need to be moved or hunted.  Period.

You're a good person, Thank you !

Guest madre

You think you have problems now...Just wait until the elk show up!  They're gradually making their way there.  Guess they heard of all the Good Eats in TL   ;D

You think you have problems now...Just wait until the elk show up!  They're gradually making their way there.  Guess they heard of all the Good Eats in TL   ;D

I couldn't imagine driving in here at night and have an elk standing in the middle of the road! That make a big thud!

I live in Sandy and I have seen two elk in the area. One stayed several months on the road where I live. The other was in someone's pasture about a couple of miles away and I thought it was a really ugly horse (no horns). My husband is still laughing.

Treasure Lake needs to work on a deer management plan that includes heavier hunting and clear cut strips in the back side of the lake.  That will allow browse to grow and will draw deer to it instead of to the salad bars at houses.  The tall tree cover in the empty lots keeps deer feed from gorwing.  When there's a house some of the trees get cut.  Tourists who just have to see a deer can take a drive into the real woods to find one.

On my walks I notice how many have flowers planted in their yards and the deer don't touch them, in my yard you would swear it was a smorgasboard, I have fencing up all over, and they still try to knock it down.

I planted some new shrubs this weekend.  All of them said they were "Deer Resistant".

Barberry, Weigelia, Butterfly Bush & some Red Fountain Grass

We will find out in a couple weeks.

I also dug up the Azalea's and brought them back for my son's house in Hagerstown.  No deer issues there :)

Hopefully they will make a come back.