GoDuBois.com

Garden Pics etc.

Pappy

Our Holly Bushes look terrible this year, very little green (just around the bottom) and our 22 rose shrubs are even worst. The Rhodys are starting to bloom but the leaves are not as green a they have been in the past. Our rose shrubs have always been in bloom by the middle of June, because we use to laugh they were always the best when we were away at the June Pocono race. Our orange azalea was beautiful but the rain pretty much did it in today. I'm assuming the holly & roses are because of the winter we had??? In fact by husband pretty much wants to pull them all out, I'm trying to tell him to be patience.

Don't let him pull them out! Most holly bushes look like crap this year but I have yet to see a dead one. Ditto the roses although I think a lot of them did bite the dust. 

Ah, so that's why my lacy one has never bloomed since the first year...wonderboy has been cutting off the old stems.   :duh:

A lot of hydrangeas bloom on old wood. Cutting off last years branches will indeed prevent them from blooming. I get Nikko blue to bloom by pinning down the branches in the fall and putting pine branches over them. It isn't a perfect solution but it works in its fashion. 

Molly, you have to keep the branches alive through the winter. It is often difficult around here. They usually freeze so there is no old wood for the buds to form on or too little of the branch is left for buds to form. I find that if mine freeze within about 6 inches of the ground there are no flowers. If I can keep over half of the length of the branch from freezing, even if I lose the tips, they will bloom. The look a bit ragged though. 

If you have the branches stay viable through the winter and it still worn't bloom then I'd try moving it to a sunnier location. 

Bon hit on the secret of growing clematis around here. Our soil is heavy clay which doesn't drain well but there is generally a lot of fill around our houses. It keeps our basements dry but is also a great area to plant things that need sharp drainage. An added bonus is they get some run-off from the roof.

Irises were exceptional this year until the rain. I was going to get pictures but I'm a terrible photographer. I will get a pic of that yellow peony when it blooms. Its got 1 bud and 1 bud only but I just put it in last year. 

Is that the Bowl of Beauty peony?

I have not a clue. bought it when it was on clearance sale 3 yrs ago and through away the pkg. Last year it was only stems, was surprised to see it bloomed this year.

Bon hit on the secret of growing clematis around here.

That came with the house when we bought it. It was planted in the middle of the yard where I put my rock garden years later. That poor plant has been moved I don't know how many times till we put it in front of the house. It only gets sun till around noon, then it's in the shade the rest of the day. We don't do anything to it, never cut back on the dead stuff in the fall or spring, just let nature take its course.

Morning till mid afternoon is good for them.  They don't like to cook, do appreciate some afternoon shade.  Plant them where surface water will drain away quickly but the soil will stay cool and moist a little longer.  Plant them deeper and fertilize properly.  Keep the original label so you can look up the proper pruning directions. 

If you're not sure then call a Master Gardener and send a picture.

That came with the house when we bought it. It was planted in the middle of the yard where I put my rock garden years later. That poor plant has been moved I don't know how many times till we put it in front of the house. It only gets sun till around noon, then it's in the shade the rest of the day. We don't do anything to it, never cut back on the dead stuff in the fall or spring, just let nature take its course.

Some of them, like most plants, are just winners. Then there are the "whiners" that limp along and die no matter what you do for them. 

we bought this house 25 yrs ago this month, who knows how long the previous owner had the climatis. So it must be a "winner" lol!!

My other peonies are going to be blooming by the end of next week.