GoDuBois.com

DIY Ways To Fight Weeds and More Answers To Gardening Questions

mr.d

DIY ways to fight weeds and more answers to your gardening questions

TODAY, JUNE 17, 2015------There are few things that gardeners can't bear to see upon revisiting a recently planted bed of flowers: an invasion of weeds, or even worse, the absence of beautiful petals. But frustration will soon be a thing of the past with these easy tips, guaranteed to help you repel those common gardening issues.

Jamie Durie, horticulturist and host of "Outback Nation" visited TODAY Wednesday to tackle all of your growing concerns.

How to keep animals from eating your garden Play Video
tdy_klg_garden_150617.today-inline-vid-f

Q: Can you suggest some natural solutions to fight weeds?

Go organic if you can! Don't apply too many chemicals. Try the natural weed killer recipes below. Spray the mixture on your weeds and they should soon curl up and die.

Recipe 1

Mix four cups of salt in one gallon of water. Put the solution in a spray bottle and use on weeds.

Recipe 2

Mix equal parts of vinegar, cheap gin, lemon juice and water. Put the solution in a spray bottle and use on weeds.

Q: What advice can you offer to deter animals without harming them?

Look for plants that either discourage animals or taste bad to them. They'll be less likely to nibble next time.

Fish fertilizer is another easy fix

• 1 month later...

I just put newspaper down and cover it with mushroom compost but you could use anything that you want to till back into the soil. I am thinking leaves would be great not the first year but second. I have piles of leaves that have been composting a bit(lol just lying in the woods where my wife threw them.) She has a vac(It is a leaf blower and vac.) that she uses to suck them up into and into a garbage can and then dumps them. They are shredded nice and compost quicker.