GoDuBois.com

Increasing Presence Of Ticks Requires Change In Behavior

Bon

Increasing presence of ticks requires change in behavior

BOB FRYE | Saturday, April 15, 2017, 6:27 p.m.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tick prevention and care

How to avoid ticks and what to do if you're bitten: Advice from the U.S. Center for Disease Control.

They would have to build more free clinics to handle all tick bites that people showed up with.

Just be sure to shower religiously at night before you go to bed so they don't stay on your body overnight.  Cut all tall brush around areas you frequent.  Ticks are most likely to drop off of a branch you brush up against.  Keep grass around children's area cut short.  Put a barrier of wood chips all around your property.

Get a good outdoor cat.  They are the best trap invented.  People are cleaning out the feral cat populations but they are needed!

• 2 weeks later...
Lyme disease: What you need to know

by Jillian Hartmann

Thursday, April 27th 2017

Lyme disease, an illness that changes lives and stirs controversy across the country, affects hundreds of thousands of Americans each year. (MGN)

JOHNSTOWN -- Lyme disease, an illness that changes lives and stirs controversy across the country, affects hundreds of thousands of Americans each year.

Pennsylvania is leading the nation in Lyme disease cases, and medical professionals say it

Not only is Pennsylvania leading the way, Jefferson, Clearfield and Elk Counties lead Pennsylvania.  So what makes us a safe place for these ticks and this disease?  Something is supporting them.

In the short time I've been on this forum I have learned one thing. It ain't the Olive Garden

Worst place I've been for ticks was Bell Twp, Westmoreland County. 

In a 1 mile long utility easement(split into two sections) along Nelson Rd I picked off 50-60 ticks - 2 months ago when it was still a winter mix of weather.

I picked off more ticks in that single day than all the ticks in my life combined.   It was so bad that I stripped down to my undies in the middle of the road after getting out of the easement to do a tick check.    Then had the old lady check me over again once I got home.

Worst place I've been for ticks was Bell Twp, Westmoreland County. 

In a 1 mile long utility easement(split into two sections) along Nelson Rd I picked off 50-60 ticks - 2 months ago when it was still a winter mix of weather.

I picked off more ticks in that single day than all the ticks in my life combined.   It was so bad that I stripped down to my undies in the middle of the road after getting out of the easement to do a tick check.    Then had the old lady check me over again once I got home.

http://www.gmtick.com/

Order a bottle and give it a try.

It has worked very well for us and our dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning over seed ticks: Ticks as small as a freckle  

Medical officials warn we could experience our worst tick season yet, since the winter was so mild.

wtae.png | 
Updated: 6:57 PM EDT May 17, 2017

PITTSBURGH

CBS News May 19, 2017, 12:57 PM

Mom shares terrifying photos of 3-year-old covered in "seed ticks"

screen-shot-2017-05-18-at-3-41-06-pm.png

Beka Setzer, of Meigs, Ohio, shares photos of her 3-year-old daughter's welts after touching a nest of seed ticks.

Courtesy of Beka Setzer

A concerned mom is warning people across the country about a dangerous pest people need to be on the lookout for this summer

Another problem with the teeny ticks is that they are not always black.  Sometimes they can almost blend in with the skin.

Better news though, the baby ticks probably weren't carrying the viruses because they had not bitten an infected host yet.  They are just in herds and their bites itch!   They will bite repeatedly till they find a blood meal.

http://www.newleafmarket.coop/newsroom/blog/here-come-seed-ticks

1.   Keep your lawn mowed short

2.   Weed whack as much as possible to keep down taller weeds

3.   Adopt and vaccinate some outdoor cats to keep rodents away

4.   Check your dogs well and keep them vaccinated

5.   Keep deer and wild animals out of your active outdoor space.  

6.   Always shower before bed and do a thorough check for ticks.

7.   Guinea Fowl search out ticks to eat.  Learn to love a Guinea!

Tick bite temporarily paralyzes Eastern Oregon girl

by KATU.com Staff

Sunday, May 21st 2017

a0b61bc4-9035-4594-ad1f-29e170d459b0-lar

FILE - A tick. (John Tann / CC BY 2.0)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KATU) - An Eastern Oregon family went through a terrifying ordeal when their young daughter became temporarily paralyzed by a tick.

A viral Facebook video captured the unsettling moments as Evelyn Lewis struggled to stand.

The fear sets in as Evelyn's parents watch her go limp.

The next morning, she couldn't even use her legs at all and could barely move her arms. Her parents rushed her to the emergency room.

"We really started to panic when we were rushing her to the hospital," said Evelyn's mother Amanda.

Fortunately, doctors immediately had an idea of what was wrong. They took a look at her hair and found it: a tiny American dog tick.

Once the doctors removed the tick, Evelyn's condition started to improve.

"It took her until pretty much the next morning before she could walk again," Amanda said.

As the weather gets warmer, certain areas may be teeming with ticks - making them more likely to come in contact with kids. The bites covering Evelyn happened after just 30 minutes of playing outside.

Ticks can bring problems like Lyme disease, Colorado tick fever, and more than a dozen other illnesses.

"The best way to remove a tick if you find one attached is to use a pointy tweezer and pull it straight off," said Thomas Mather with the University of Rhode Island. "By using a tweezer, you have the tick. Take a picture of it, save it, identify it, then you'll know better what risks you're at."

Evelyn's family was, fortunately, able to put a stop to the ticking time bomb.

"We're just glad that she's fine and other people can use it as a tool," said Amanda.

The CDC says tick paralysis is rare, and that paralysis should subside within 24 hours of removing the tick.

The American dog tick used to be found throughout many areas in Oregon, but more recent maps show the ticks to no longer be prevalent in the state.

SEE VIDEO AND CHARTS;   http://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/tick-bite-temporarily-paralyzes-eastern-oregon-girl-05-21-2017

Go to Tractor supply and buy a 5oz bottle of permethrin-10 for about $7.Mix 2.5-3 oz with one gallon of water in a yard sprayer.Shake it up,spray your cloths and let it dry.It will last through several washes and you'll never get a tick imbedded in you.This kills them,it doesn't repel them.I've watched ticks crawl up my leg and fall off dead in less than a minute.I spray it on our horses as well but never put it on a cat.I've been using this for about 10 years,spend an emormous amount of time in tick infested country and have never once had a tick attached since since using it.

Not only is Pennsylvania leading the way, Jefferson, Clearfield and Elk Counties lead Pennsylvania.  So what makes us a safe place for these ticks and this disease?  Something is supporting them.

I firmly believe it's the decreased use of certain pesticides and or the suppression of forest fires for the past 60 years.

I firmly believe it's the decreased use of certain pesticides and or the suppression of forest fires for the past 60 years.

You could certainly be right.  I had forgotten about controlled burns.

This stuff works and it's all natural and safe for pets too.......

IMG_8027-400x400.jpg

Sine we got this, my husband said he has only found one tick on the dogs.  It's been about a month.  It smells great and is non-toxic.