GoDuBois.com

Just a thought!

Lizard

I watched this last Sunday and I’m always thankful we have a coordinated effort to make this happen. However I can’t help but thinking why don’t the firefighters get paid? The helicopter crew, the ambulance personnel and the police all get paid but this landing can’t happen here without the firefighters setting up the landing zone. 

A3054F5C-B6CC-4CB5-AF28-773668595AA8.png

6 hours ago, Lizard said:

I watched this last Sunday and I’m always thankful we have a coordinated effort to make this happen. However I can’t help but thinking why don’t the firefighters get paid? The helicopter crew, the ambulance personnel and the police all get paid but this landing can’t happen here without the firefighters setting up the landing zone. 

A3054F5C-B6CC-4CB5-AF28-773668595AA8.png

As is historical, many small towns lacked funds to pay firemen.  Sometimes just keeping the insurance and equipment is a strain.  Be grateful for the volunteers, who are all well trained, for their time and effort.

48 minutes ago, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

At one ti.e there was a push for fire departments to be able to bill insurances 

Some communities are going to paid fire departments, but they get tax money to do it.  I'm not sure what details are necessary, but I think it has something to do with the insurance companies.

One time I had a scary situation going on with my chimney.  I so appreciated the firemen and women who came and investigated things and got things to a safe situation.  I could have lost my home.  I will forever be indebted to them, and I appreciate our fire companies.

5 minutes ago, Polo said:

One time I had a scary situation going on with my chimney.  I so appreciated the firemen and women who came and investigated things and got things to a safe situation.  I could have lost my home.  I will forever be indebted to them, and I appreciate our fire companies.

Me too, many times over.  They are conscientious, skilled and have a great sense of humor at all the right times!  Sorting out his nonsense correctly means a lot to them, emergency services and our police also.

My daughter's tiny Jack Russel Terrier always crawled into tight spaces and groundhog holes, and eventually got caught underneath a concrete floor in our wood shop, TWICE!!.  There was no way for us to reach her and it was getting later in the day.  We finally had to call the fire company to see if they could help.  Cars of volunteers and police showed up.  I was almost embarrassed to death because they had to stay for hours. When I apologized for the umpteenth time, they said not to worry, it gave them a chance to use equipment they need to practice with.  They worked hard and finally rescued her from where her collar had gotten snagged on a piece of rebar, and they all laughed and cheered when she finally came out with a very dirty and tired volunteer.  

It was wonderful to see them working together with such dedication and humor even over a tiny little dog.  They said to call them again if we needed them, and behold, it did, and they came laughing.  We made a project of hunting up any holes and sealing them thoroughly.  Didn't want them having too much fun! :bigfoot:  No telling what else could have been under there.  We always took off her collar when she came to visit after that, and till we sealed the holes, my husband would watch Bentley and the groundhog that was making the holes run in one side of the floor and come out the other side, alternately chasing each other.

• 2 weeks later...