GoDuBois.com

Help! Does anyone know what this is?

kikibaugh

I just got the biopsy results from the vet. It is a sarcoma. Not sure what kind, but from how fast it has grown it's apparently an aggressive one. They recommended a surgical biopsy followed by amputation of his leg. Being that he is 6 and has a lot of weakness and arthritis in his back legs, we think he wouldn't tolerate that well. And that's assuming it hasn't already spread elsewhere. So I guess our best option is to let him live out his remaining time with us as comfortable as possible.

This is so hard, he is such a wonderful dog. But I don't see the benefit in putting him through additional surgery and chemo. He wouldn't understand why he would be feeling like that, and I don't want to have him suffer just for a few additional months.

My daughter just had her 15 year old Weimer put to sleep, yesterday. The vet came right to the house and everything went as well as possible. My daughter and her husband have been nursing him for at least 2 years. he has had numerous small tumors removed among other issues. Daughter even started taking the dog to a holistic vet. I think she got an extra couple of years out of him. It's hard, daughter says she feels lost having lost a companion. Yes. enjoy your time together, your dog is lucky to have had you for his owner and friend.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Still kinda shocked right now.

I bet you are shocked. This is so sad - they're part of our families. Thanks for letting us know. Most of us don't know each other - but we still care. Give him a hug from all of us.

Sooo... I am trying to be optimistic about the time Chewy has left. But I also need to prepare for the inevitable. How do I explain to my kids (8 & 3) what happened when we have to put Chewy to sleep? As much as it kills me, my husband and I have had to start making plans. We have decided to make a proper grave for him in our yard, and we are going to plant a tree there.

I hate even talking about all this, but I would like some opinions and advice. I thought it might help if we have a grave side funeral I guess is the best way to put it. I am making a marker for it. Chewy has been with us since my daughter was an infant. He is HER dog. She is 3. I don't know what to do... I am scared of how she will take it. My son is 8 and has Asperger's. He is VERY attached to Chewy as well. We all are. I don't know what to do? Should I let my son come to the vet when it's time? I am worried I will be a wreck. I can't even talk about it without losing it...

Any advice?? Thanks in advance. You have all been so wonderful and supportive so far!

A 3 yr old really isn't going to understand no matter how you explain. I like the idea of holding a funeral, your 8 yr old will understand that concept. Maybe start talking now to your kids that the dog is very sick and the doctors just don't know how to heal him. Not to sure about taking your son with you when that time comes around. He might associate the vet as a bad place to go with your animals.

To be honest, this is going to be harder on you & your husband than it will your kids.

Been there many times......

Maybe explain to them that there is always an end to life and their doggie is going to now be healthy and in no pain.  They will miss him but he will always remember them as his earth family.  Maybe a really nice picture at the grave so they look at it instead of considering the option?  Tell them that they can visit him whenever they want and blow him a kiss.

You could get some paint and do a paw print and a hand print for each child. Frame it for their room so they can look at it when they think of him. They can remember how happy they where doing something fun with you and him. I would also let them pick something to put in his coffin to keep him company on his trip to heaven when the time comes. Sorry for the stress this must cause you when you are trying to be so strong for him and your kids.

Have you ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge Poem? It is a beautiful way to help children and adults be reassured at that time that their loved family member is crossing the Bridge to a similar idea of Heaven that many hold dearly. I absolutely love the "paw print" memorials that the above posted, it may help your older child. Your younger child most likely won't recall Chewy, only from what she is told later when looking at pictures, sad to say. Asperger's doesn't have to make it more difficult, just how you go about explaining it. As with the death of human you would explain that you and the doctors have tried everything possible but "John's" time here with us was over and he was called to Heaven to move onto his next life.( Or however in your beliefs would explain death). I understand your dilemma, and as Bon said, most likely, this will be harder on you and your husband, as children's memories are shorter, but not saying your son will not experience emotional pain and loss as well. I'm hopeful you have been keeping him as informed as child should be in this situation so that when that day comes, he is more ready than without prior knowledge of the illness. Answer his questions (as he will have them) as gently as possible but don't hide the truth. Death is a natural part of the life cycle of all beings on earth, and this may sound "morbid" but this is a pet and not grandparent or parent or sibling etc. You can always "bring home a new pet" but your son is at an age he may remember this event. Make it special but don't dwell too much on it, THAT is how you will scare him. As for taking him with you, that is a judgment call you as his parent has to make. If you feel you will be strong enough to be there as he has to process what he has just witnessed, then in my eyes okay. But the way you describe your own pain, and after what we went through this weekend ourselves, then I say no. Also consider cremation for your pet, yes it costs money but you can chose to bury the urn or any other things you can think of. We had our Sly cremated 2 years ago and I must say it was less emotional on us because the vet takes over, you don't have a body to carry home and bury.  two weeks later, we received a beautiful urn and a certificate of passing. Mom had both of her recent ones cremated and after years of digging huge holes (we have all large dogs) and the emotion that entails, she agrees, this eases some of the loss. I am sorry again, I know how difficult this whole situation is, and I express my deepest condolences to you and your remaining family. Try to enjoy these days, I know when my Sly was "slipping away" it was one of the most difficult 5 days I have ever endured. It happened so fast with him, one day running around like a nut with my puppy, the next day, not able to walk and convulsing. I am going to share a pic of the last day he was here and able to go outside, I love this picture because he looks so at peace with what is about to happen....sly.jpg

Have you ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge Poem? It is a beautiful way to help children and adults be reassured at that time that their loved family member is crossing the Bridge to a similar idea of Heaven that many hold dearly. I absolutely love the "paw print" memorials that the above posted, it may help your older child. Your younger child most likely won't recall Chewy, only from what she is told later when looking at pictures, sad to say. Asperger's doesn't have to make it more difficult, just how you go about explaining it. As with the death of human you would explain that you and the doctors have tried everything possible but "John's" time here with us was over and he was called to Heaven to move onto his next life.( Or however in your beliefs would explain death). I understand your dilemma, and as Bon said, most likely, this will be harder on you and your husband, as children's memories are shorter, but not saying your son will not experience emotional pain and loss as well. I'm hopeful you have been keeping him as informed as child should be in this situation so that when that day comes, he is more ready than without prior knowledge of the illness. Answer his questions (as he will have them) as gently as possible but don't hide the truth. Death is a natural part of the life cycle of all beings on earth, and this may sound "morbid" but this is a pet and not grandparent or parent or sibling etc. You can always "bring home a new pet" but your son is at an age he may remember this event. Make it special but don't dwell too much on it, THAT is how you will scare him. As for taking him with you, that is a judgment call you as his parent has to make. If you feel you will be strong enough to be there as he has to process what he has just witnessed, then in my eyes okay. But the way you describe your own pain, and after what we went through this weekend ourselves, then I say no. Also consider cremation for your pet, yes it costs money but you can chose to bury the urn or any other things you can think of. We had our Sly cremated 2 years ago and I must say it was less emotional on us because the vet takes over, you don't have a body to carry home and bury. two weeks later, we received a beautiful urn and a certificate of passing. Mom had both of her recent ones cremated and after years of digging huge holes (we have all large dogs) and the emotion that entails, she agrees, this eases some of the loss. I am sorry again, I know how difficult this whole situation is, and I express my deepest condolences to you and your remaining family. Try to enjoy these days, I know when my Sly was "slipping away" it was one of the most difficult 5 days I have ever endured. It happened so fast with him, one day running around like a nut with my puppy, the next day, not able to walk and convulsing. I am going to share a pic of the last day he was here and able to go outside, I love this picture because he looks so at peace with what is about to happen.... sly.jpg

Thanks for the advice and thank you for sharing :)

Have you ever gotten on Pinterest? If you search for "clay paw prints" you can get some great ideas on keepsakes to honor your pets. I've done my cat's paw and it turned out really nice. You could do a paw and then add a fingerprint from each of the kids. The clay is about $2 and bakes quick. That way you could have something to remember him by and the kids could help with the process.

paw print.jpg

fingerprints.jpg