GoDuBois.com

gardening yet?

candijo13

I have some garlic coming up from last year that did not get harvested and it is now growing nicely.  Can I leave it grow and will it make a new crop that is ok if left alone?

I think you will be OK, they don't go to seed the way left over onions do. They actually advise planting garlic in the fall although I've never had much luck doing that. You might want to separate the bulbs if it looks as though you are getting multiple stems from each bulbs. You will get bigger bulbs that way. As you probably know, you usually put one clove per hole not the whole bulb.

I'm using those little pellet soil disks.  You water them and they expand.  They are specifically made for starting seeds so I would assume they would be ok.

Those should be sterile but you may want to cover the surface of each one with some sand once the seeds sprout.

Guest snellma

Hey  Snellma, do you ma ke freezer jelly or cooked? If you make cooked could could I have your recipe? I make freezer jelly but didn't know if you could use frozen berries. We go through probably 20 containers over the winter. Thanks

sent you a p.m.

If the weekend is as nice as they say it is going to be the onions are going in. Besides the onion sets I have my usual leeks and two kinds of bunching onions this year. One of them is red. If I've ever planted these before I don't remember it. Any one ever plant them? What will I get and when will I get it?

Guest snellma

I am finally finished.  What a beautiful weekend, but it took all weekend to finish.  Ok, here is what I ended up with.

Cabbage, jalapenos, hot banana peppers, peas, onions, yellow beans, green beans, bell peppers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, and butternut squash in my garden.  In my box is one roma tomato (picked up by accident), one yellow cherry tomato, and one red cherry tomato.  Those are for the squirrels.  I'm hoping that will keep them away from the garden.

Turned on the soaker hose last night and forgot to set the timer.  Four hours later we turned it off.  At least it didn't run all night like we have done before.

Guest snellma

Ok, with all the beautiful weather we have been having this week my peas are about 3 inches.  Last night I went out to look and my beans are starting to come up and I have some cucumbers sprouting.  Now I am getting excited.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Ok, here is an updated picture of my garden.

Next are some blossoms on my cherry tomatoes.

Cherry tomatoes planted for the squirrels.

Flower boxes across the front of the house.

Single marigold.

Small sago palm just planted.

Sago palm after 11 years.

post-614-13623823377999_thumb.jpg

post-614-1362382337817_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823378325_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823378491_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823378649_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823378806_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823378974_thumb.jpg

Snellma - your sago palms are BEAUTIFUL! The 11-year old palm looks very healthy.

I have one planted, but it is not thriving; I suspect our occasional freezes are too much for it. I keep it covered but I think the ground gets too cold.  :-/

We had to plant our pumpkins last weekend. Of course they all died but one and the one has blossoms believe it or not

It's too early to plant stuff here. i always waited till the last week of May or the 1st week of june.

Guest snellma

Snellma - your sago palms are BEAUTIFUL! The 11-year old palm looks very healthy.

I have one planted, but it is not thriving; I suspect our occasional freezes are too much for it. I keep it covered but I think the ground gets too cold.  :-/

To this day I still cover the big one if they are calling for a frost.  It is getting harder and harder to cover it since it is so big.  Right now it takes 2 blankets and I suspect this year it may take three.

Did you know there are make and female plants?  I didn't know that but found out I have a male plant.  This past year it got a double seed pod on top so now it is filling out even more.

To this day I still cover the big one if they are calling for a frost.  It is getting harder and harder to cover it since it is so big.  Right now it takes 2 blankets and I suspect this year it may take three.

Did you know there are make and female plants?  I didn't know that but found out I have a male plant.  This past year it got a double seed pod on top so now it is filling out even more.

What??? I have never heard of male vs. female sago palms. It seems reasonable, though. My neighbor has a big sago like your 11-year old one and he built a simple wooden frame to put over it in the winter. He did it so it was easy to put the blankets over it without crushing the plant.

My moms garden is starting to take shape!!!! But, will be looking for something to keep away the cats and other critters. But, my grandma has stuff that should work. Didn't really think anything of hers would start to grow. Last year, her and my daughter tried to grow a garden, and nothing. But, hey, at least they tried. This year, might get something out of it.

Guest snellma

HaHa! Here's my garden so far!

Be patient.  Just a few more weeks and then you should be able to move them out to the garden.