GoDuBois.com

plants that deer don't like

slk59

Thanks, I knew I could count on someone to already have a decent link.  We have quite a few really nice hostas around our camper.  The deer just love them unfortunately and they look like celery stalks most of the summer.  Need to find something to replace them with.  

I have to agree with Mr. Hanzley, if they are hungry enough they will eat just about anything. That said there are plants that they are unlikely to eat. First on the list are things that are poisonous. I've never had anything eat foxgloves, daffodils, hellebores or monkshood. They are less likely to eat fuzzy leafed things like lambs ears and artemesia. I've never had them eat those either. They will also stay away from smelly things like herbs. Nothing seems to touch the many types of hyssop, mint, lavender, etc. There are all kinds of very nice catmints now available if you like blue flowers. The smaller creeping sedums seem to be safe although they will eat Autumn Joy and its relatives. Marigolds are usually safe although don't count on it. A lot of us grow the Daturas both the large white and the small purple. They are hallucinogenic and the deer seem to know it. Shrubwise nothing has ever touched mock orange, forsythia, hibiscus or Rose of Sharon.

Stay away from tulips, daylilies, echinacea and roses. Everything loves those!

I started keeping a list on our website at www.downtoearthgardenclub.org but haven't added to it this winter. It was a list of things that seemed to be safe from critters in this area. I'll get back on it this summer.

Thanks, I knew I could count on someone to already have a decent link.  We have quite a few really nice hostas around our camper.  The deer just love them unfortunately and they look like celery stalks most of the summer.  Need to find something to replace them with.  

Whatever you choose run it by someone who gardens in the area. There are other critters out there and local deer populations sometimes develop unique tastes. Yeah, they do love hostas although they don't seem to bother mine except in the fall.

Guest JenMc32

Honestly, I don't think there are any.  My sis lives in a place similar to TL - which is covered with deer and she has tried literally EVERY type of plant and bush out there that is supposed to be deer resistant and they have EATEN every one of them - jaggars & all!  LOL  

Marigolds, barberry, rhode's, I can't remember all the names she rattled off.

They put in some really pretty ones up next to the house and fenced it.  The deer jumped the fence and ate the bushes.  Literally at night you can here the deer bumping up against the house ....

One thing that has helped tremendously up there.......people quit feeding the deer.  You could step outside and rattle a cracker sleeve and they would literally come running right up to you in droves and wait for you to toss crackers, some would even take them out of your hand.  There used to be ten times more in their community than there are now, but when they stopped being fed - they moved on!

Guest JenMc32

ROFL  I put them in the oven, fryin pan, crockpot....and don't plant a garden - it seems to work REALLY well!  LOLOL

Treasure Lake has lost a lot of the browse that deer like and they're stressed for proper food.  They need to thin out the deer numbers and do selective lumbering with open spaces and food sources developed which should draw them away from the houses.

I have a good book on deer problems in the BUDS Gardeners library that can be borrowed at a meeting.  Just let me know and I'll bring it.

We had critter problems our garden. The groundhogs would sit and eat tomaties like they were apples the deer ate anythign they could get to. . I planted one package of marigolds around my garden and have not a problem with any critters since. They're pretty but they stink. Out of that one package I deadheaded enough seeds to fill a 5 gallon bucket for the next year. I had marigolds everywhere and as did all my friends.