GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

I'm surprised about the large eggs. The smaller eggs were a backup, I wasn't sure about fertility, but I'm seeing the same thing on my end. All two dozen were from the young girls, 23 were fertile, and they are hatching strong

BTW, can you perform a 90 degree clockwise rotate on my pic? ;)

I also noticed that only the smooth colored eggs are hatching.  Those with mottled spots and colors aren't.

I also noticed that only the smooth colored eggs are hatching. Those with mottled spots and colors aren't.

Really? I haven't opened mine yet to see, and the incubator is just a pile of fluff.

What that tells me is I have one or two girls laying mottled eggs that are playing hard to get

Another thing people should realize, and I'm not bragging about my equipment, but I have a $400 incubator. All the bells and whistles, digital temp and humidity control, automatic turning, insulated ABS plastic shell, highly advanced air distribution, etc... plug it in and walk away.

Petee is using styrofoam with a simple element. She may not even have a fan to more evenly distribute the heat. She has to measure, set, and monitor her temperature. She has to measure her own humidity. She has to hand turn the eggs several times per day. When she lifts the lid then puts it back on, it takes a while to stabilize. Mine returns to temperature in 30 seconds. I do this every 10 days, she is using an incubator that her adult son tried to eat the last time she had it out.

I'm very impressed

I don't go there! Too many crabby opinionated people. I'd rather stay here and be the crabby opinionated old lady!

You still at 7? If I had known those young eggs were so good I would have sent more of those. I just put mine in the brooder. 18 hatched, 5 eggs left, 2 pipped. This is one of my best hatches this year

Yes, it's looks like there may be no one action on the horizon.  I see no more active pips but it's hard to tell without removing them from the incubator.  Tomorrow I'll candle them again and dispose of anything that isn't dark.

These chicks are the cutest things.  Black top and white puffy bottoms.  It looks like they have a fuzzy pom pom under their butts.

Yes, it's looks like there may be no one action on the horizon. I see no more active pips but it's hard to tell without removing them from the incubator. Tomorrow I'll candle them again and dispose of anything that isn't dark.

These chicks are the cutest things. Black top and white puffy bottoms. It looks like they have a fuzzy pom pom under their butts.

Those Davis birds will keep those fluffy bottoms. They are pretty fluffy underneath even as adults. Are they not the sweetest, most docile chicks ever? By far the most calm of all my breeds

They also need to shave their legs!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marans

I got out my stethescope this morning to see if I could hear any activity in the remaining eggs. Nothing. I also candled one and it still looks good (60% dark and 40% air properly slanted).

After 7 years I have decided to shut everything down after day 22. If anything were to hatch now, chances are much greater that it will hatch with issues. I'm so tickled you at least got 7. If you don't wind up with enough girls, let me know ;)

There will be no more chicks hatching.  My granddaughter and her friend helped me do "eggtopsies" today.  The results were surprising and may help you in your incubation efforts.  None of the eggs that I marked as mottled survived.  It could be a connection.  Some died early in the shell and some died fully formed and apparently perfect.  It was stressful to do (a few tears were shed) but I thought it might help you to know when and why they died.  The girls are outside playing, all smiles and excitement to tell everyone about their adventure today.

I've forwarded Steve the results so everyone can see them.

So let's line up names for the seven little beauties.  Then I can leg band them.

DooBwa

Fluffy Butt

There will be no more chicks hatching. My granddaughter and her friend helped me do "eggtopsies" today. The results were surprising and may help you in your incubation efforts. None of the eggs that I marked as mottled survived. It could be a connection. Some died early in the shell and some died fully formed and apparently perfect. It was stressful to do (a few tears were shed) but I thought it might help you to know when and why they died. The girls are outside playing, all smiles and excitement to tell everyone about their adventure today.

I've forwarded Steve the results so everyone can see them.

So let's line up names for the seven little beauties. Then I can leg band them.

DooBwa

Fluffy Butt

I started to ask if you were going to do eggtopsies, but didn't want you to feel obliged. Of my 5 that didn't hatch, 2 were mottled, 3 smooth. 3 fully formed, 2 early quitters. Thats a tough thing to do, but it does help with future hatches, thanks for the info.

Now for the good news. You can tell a lot about quality when they hatch, and this is my first batch off this rooster. These are the best looking chicks I've ever hatched. Plenty of white without being overly white. You don't want them too dark, either. You want the hens to have some copper, but not so much that it looks brassy, and usually chicks colored like this grow out just right. The roosters you have will make excellent breeders if you know anyone interested

Sorry my man, I'm voting with Bon.

Let's face it - you gotta remember where you've been before you can figure out where you're going.

Well, if you're going the heritage route, then you gotta add Sue. Landy Sue, redneck hen of DooBwa

And they will, quite literally, have red necks :D

OK, I'm making a list:

DooBwa

Landy Sue

Fluffy Butt

Ky-Lee

I like them all!

Last year my grandkids named them and obviously they were hungry.

Oreo

Peaches

Buttercup

I can't remember the rooster's name?  He was replaced by Penny.  I was obviously thinking of money!  :D

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic