GoDuBois.com

SAD

steelnut

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I have a natural light lamp that helps.  Even kitty kat likes it. we got my mother in law one for Christmas and she can see better to write checks etc., and it seems to help her.  Good luck.  That is not fun.  We already got her more vitamin D. It helped but the light also helps.

Guest panurse

Really and truly it is the lack of sunshine.

Hope reading this will help. I actually (under the recommendation of my doctor) take 5000 iu of Vitamin D3 a day in the dark winter months.

Then cut back to 2000 iu  when the days become longer and the sun is shining.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/integrative-mental-health_b_354332.html

It's good to google D3 deficiency  and read all about it, and check with your doctor.

I actually have the Vitamin D deficiency...all year long. I take 1000iu a day...PLUS...50,000iu every other week. My lab value was so low when it was first discovered that it would not even register on the lab scale.  He said it was something that I will probably have to take for the rest of my life. I had enormous amounts of pain when it was at its lowest and it can cause more health issues if left undetected.

Hubby has it too but since I started giving him a D3 (doctor diagnosed it) every day he's not so miserable.  He also delivers stuff so he's getting a lot more of the sun that does manage to get through.

And as for gardening, I have seeds already stratifying so they can be planted.  I've got a couple of hundred packets and I've been busy cataloging them.  I grow for the BUDS plant sale in May and June so I have to plan now!

For anyone who wants to learn to start their own seeds, let me know.  Our group pays half on a grow light table (which we build) which will hold something like 5-7 big plant trays, or you can just grow a few!  It takes up 2' x 4' of a table so an old card table will handle a couple of them.  Just shove it in front of a cool window.  The grow light table comes with everything you need, and even seeds are available which is why I have so many.  We're letting members pick out their own seeds to order this year too because we want them to get really involved with their seedlings.  Then any excess they have can go to the plant sales.

We help you through the process but we only build tables till the end of January.  That's when some of the seeds can be put in but most wait till February or March.  I think it ends up being somewhere between $25 - $30 but if you buy one commercially it's easily over $100 for the same thing, just wimpier.

If you're interested you'll have to contact me because the January meeting is already done.  Seed orders will go out in a week or so.

Cheryl Shenkle  371-3322 or e-mail cshenkle@verizon.net

The vitamin D supplement is a very good idea. I actually was thinking about getting some myself. Also, my doctor told me at one point that the tanning bed does not give you vitamin D. However, I do love going to the tanning bed. I think it's just the warmth and the light that cheers me up when I have the winter blahs. I lay there and think of the beach. :)

Guest snellma

My husband has SAD.  It is much better since we moved to SC but even with the cold weather down here the past 2 weeks it is creeping up on him.

How desperate is everyone for spring when they are hanging out in the gardening forum with 2 feet of snow on the ground? Is it too early to buy onion sets? I cannot tell a lie, I bought a pack of purple cabbage seeds this week.

Lol, I know!

I have to say that the beautiful sunshine today felt so darned good!

Hi. I have a natural light lamp that helps.  Even kitty kat likes it. we got my mother in law one for Christmas and she can see better to write checks etc., and it seems to help her.  Good luck.  That is not fun.  We already got her more vitamin D. It helped but the light also helps.

Leah, I've never heard of those. Are they sold locally? I have to check this out, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just think.... this time last year I was down the beach playing tag with the Grey Nurses and getting sunburnt man boobs!

You sure picked a bad winter to head north! This is more snow than we've had in a few years. It's keeping the perennials warm though so we're happy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JenMc32

BLAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ok, sorry....I feel better now!

At least the sun is shining and I may be able to wash my car this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I do suffer from seasonal affected disorder.

The sunlight that we got in between the snow this weekend helped, but not much.

I mean, after all I was out there shoveling snow in the sunlight five freaking times, I am totally sick of a white landscape and snow piles that are getting outrageous!

I honestly wanted to jump in the car and head south, anywhere, I don't care!

Just somewhere where I can see GREEN, green anything.

This winter crap makes me bitchy, I know it and I'm not proud of it. Y'all can probably tell from my last few posts, lol!  :)