GoDuBois.com

Garden updates

junk

I went back through the seed list from the BUDS and we grew Keystone Resistant Giants.  If you have a lot of peppers but they are small then just cut out the top of the plant.  You will get fewer but they will be larger.

A lot of the size has to do with watering too so if they seem dry, water them well.  You may see larger fruits.

• 4 weeks later...

Today we picked our second planting of yellow wax beans.  They survived the frost and I got 15 pints of beans done.  They were planted mid-August. 

The tops of the plants were frostbit but the beans being underneath, were protected.  To be honest, we were surprised there were so many because he had picked some last week.  

Fall gardening is an excellent practice to learn.  You can also make a hoop house/low tunnel and grow things like spinach, kale, lettuces, radishes, carrots, beets, etc, right into December.  Then the root crops and things like Kale can be harvested through the winter although they won't really grow any more.  In the spring some things will just start growing again and you will have an extra early crop.  If anyone wants to try it I have several trays of plants that were meant for a winter garden but I didn't get it assembled.  I'd be glad to donate them to someone to try out.

• 4 months later...

It's another growing season. I didn't order seeds this year so have spent the last two weeks visiting 5 or 6 different stores to get seeds. I'll be planting different varieties this year. Some of the ones I usually order aren't available in stores. I have noticed over the past few years that the variety of broccoli and cauliflower that I've planted for years are not doing as well. I think that we have had some climate change as peppers, which never grew at all, are doing better. The cold weather crops that used to flourish are not doing as well.

So what are we all planting this year? Got a tomato called Bloody Butcher. Liked the name! I also saved cucumber seed from last year. It was open pollinated and I thought I'd see how that worked. I've never saved cucumber seed before but these did well. I'm not sure what they were but I have it here somewhere.

There is actually a beneficial biotic exchange when you touch clean living soil so it explains why people love playing in the "dirt"!  Clean soil isn't dirt but regardless of the term used, it does touch the soul.

I agree, I grew up playing in the dirt and making mud pies. I don't think I'll ever outgrow it. Makes me wonder if any kids today even know what that means?

Not many!! Only dirt most people play with is on Farmville.

I grew up playing in the dirt, mud, horse/cow pastures, & swimming in the "sulfer" creek.

I know, it's sad. I've been saying for the last few years that I never see kids riding bikes anymore in good weather. I know a lot of parents are afraid these days to let their kids go out to play. I can't imagine what it would be like. We went out after breakfast, straggled in for a bite for lunch and then had to be called in to eat dinner. And we were dirty little critters after a day outside, lol!