GoDuBois.com

Meet my granddaughter Faith Marie

Bon

Where do I begin
Well all I can say is this … The kidney saga continues 🤦‍♀️
We’ve been quiet because we didn’t want to post without knowing the answers
We still don’t 
The kidney that Faith had the 2cm kidney stone removed from (the right kidney) is not better 
It is now dilated which means it’s swelled and has urine backed up in it…. Hydronephrosis…
We’ve had some tests done to see if it was another stone
It’s not
It may possibly be a complication from the surgery like a build up of scar tissue where the ureter meets the kidney….
To complicate things even more her bladder is also a complex case…here’s a mouthful for you….
A neurogenic trabeculated bladder with diverticuli 
Which means the bladder is not emptying completely, the walls are thickened and she has out pouchings all over her bladder from the excessive internal pressure 
We don’t know why
Possibly a mix of her Edward’s Syndrome (trisomy 18) and also her history of chronic utis and the septic infections
So we have been working with both Children’s in Pittsburgh Urology as well as continuing with Children’s in Philadelphia Nephrology to see what’s what and why and more tests
Faith is okay overall, we’ve had to add some extra things in her routine to manage her symptoms such as intermittent cathing, prevention of further UTIs and a very close eye on any UTIs that may be brewing
We have a couple of tests here in the next month at both hospitals and hopefully the combined findings from these tests can get us answers
We’ve had to be diligent and we have to continue to do so because these two issues can cause kidney damage and that’s a huge issue that we would very much want to avoid. 
We are praying for answers, we are praying for action, we are praying for healing
And also Faith is learning a teeny tiny bit of sign language…her favorite sign is “Love” she wanted to tell you all she loves you ❤️ (first pic)

IMG_9439.jpeg

12 hours ago, Spawn of Bon said:

Where do I begin
Well all I can say is this … The kidney saga continues 🤦‍♀️
We’ve been quiet because we didn’t want to post without knowing the answers
We still don’t 
The kidney that Faith had the 2cm kidney stone removed from (the right kidney) is not better 
It is now dilated which means it’s swelled and has urine backed up in it…. Hydronephrosis…
We’ve had some tests done to see if it was another stone
It’s not
It may possibly be a complication from the surgery like a build up of scar tissue where the ureter meets the kidney….
To complicate things even more her bladder is also a complex case…here’s a mouthful for you….
A neurogenic trabeculated bladder with diverticuli 
Which means the bladder is not emptying completely, the walls are thickened and she has out pouchings all over her bladder from the excessive internal pressure 
We don’t know why
Possibly a mix of her Edward’s Syndrome (trisomy 18) and also her history of chronic utis and the septic infections
So we have been working with both Children’s in Pittsburgh Urology as well as continuing with Children’s in Philadelphia Nephrology to see what’s what and why and more tests
Faith is okay overall, we’ve had to add some extra things in her routine to manage her symptoms such as intermittent cathing, prevention of further UTIs and a very close eye on any UTIs that may be brewing
We have a couple of tests here in the next month at both hospitals and hopefully the combined findings from these tests can get us answers
We’ve had to be diligent and we have to continue to do so because these two issues can cause kidney damage and that’s a huge issue that we would very much want to avoid. 
We are praying for answers, we are praying for action, we are praying for healing
And also Faith is learning a teeny tiny bit of sign language…her favorite sign is “Love” she wanted to tell you all she loves you ❤️ (first pic)

IMG_9439.jpeg

If that doesn't make you cry, then what would? :10:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m adding visual aides to this and hoped that helps

We all have 2 kidneys, one left, one right, each has a Ureter (drainage tube) that leads from the kidney down to the bladder

Faith of course has to be different 🤦‍♀️😂

Faith has what’s called a “duplex” kidney on the right side

So her right kidney did not form correctly and she has “two” kidneys and 2 ureters
Think of conjoined twins

This next pic looks close to what Faith’s kidney looks like on the right side
Her left kidney is perfectly normal by the way

As you can see there is an upper and lower kidney and each kidney section has its own ureter

The lower kidney is the “duplex” 

The upper kidney is perfectly normal and functioning well

The lower kidney is the one that had the 2cm stone in it
The issue she has now is that there is urine trapped inside that lower kidney and causing the kidney to be inflamed or “dilated”

What the MRI of her kidney showed is that the lower ureter is restricted or narrowed so much so that it’s not allowing urine to pass from the lower kidney to the bladder 
It’s “obstructed”

That narrowing and the trapped urine is what is causing stone formation and is also a big reason why she gets UTIs

Think of stagnant water
No water flow, allows for stagnant water and sediment to build up 
If that helps

So
Faith needs another surgery

They want to do a Pyeloplasty
Which basically means

They want to cut out the “obstructed” segment of the lower ureter and reconnect it with a stent

The stent will then be removed about a month or so later

Dr. Tasian feels extremely confident that this can be done At Pittsburgh and Dr Cannon her new urologist (since June) is willing to do it

We are also waiting until after the holidays to do this

IMG_9585.jpeg

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

IMG_9593.jpeg

IMG_9596.jpeg

IMG_9599.jpeg

She sure did have a busy day yesterday with 9 visitors!! Brandi & Deryk cooked the turkey plus 99.9% of the meal. I taught them how to make deviled eggs. 😊 Plus I dropped off 2 pies Turkey Eve, Lemon meringue & heath cheesecake, plus a bag of frozen cauliflower & dinner rolls.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spawn of Bon said:

Christmas outfit for today! “Let’s get Crackin!” 

IMG_0088.jpeg

Saw her patiently trolling around Walmart with her Mommy and Daddy shopping.  She was so calm till her Mommy picked her up and started loving on her.  She went wild loving back.  Merry Christmas.  Hubby and I got a gift that night! Thank you for sharing her with all of us.

• 3 weeks later...