GoDuBois.com

Bugs, Blight..........

junk

Unfortunately the Game Commission has nothing to do with the major destroyers of gardens.  Many diseases and insects were brought in by shippers.

Master Gardeners is becoming even more important those who grow gardens because of all the problems.  We can provide a spring to fall program of protection.  All you have to do it ask at 849-7361.  You name the pest and we'll provide a good solution.

My personal solution to elk is make them into burgers when they stray off of the reservation.

Had a 7 foot fence last year and a higher one this year. Deer haven't managed to get in this year but last year they just took a running start and cleared it. Of course they couldn't get out of the garden again as they came off the hill into it. Had one buck take the fence with him when he left.  My only consolation is that the deer wind up in my freezer.  Spray something smelly around for the deer. I use rotten eggs. You won't be socially acceptable until you shower after an application but it does keep them away more or less.  Cats and hawks take care of the rabbits. Haven't had a problem with groundhogs this year but I cleaned them out years ago. Shooting, trapping and a dog that stalked them. I still trap and shoot when necessary. 

Haven't had the elk wander in yet. Probably will give up even going into the yard when they do. Ugly things and scary looking. 

Late Blight is in more than 15 locations around the state including Brookville so it's time to spray if you choose to do so.  Spray with Daconil (Chlorothalonil) or something with copper if you do organic.  It has to be on the leaf before a fungal spore lands or it doesn't work.  Don't lose your tomatoes at this stage.  If you do find Late Blight then you can pick everything immediately, wash in clean water with a little Clorox added, rinse well and set on a table to ripen with none of them touching.  If any develop a lesion then toss it in the trash, not the compost.  The plants have to be pulled the same day and burned or tied tightly into plastic garbage bags.  Be sure to clean all debris from the garden. Do not freeze or can tomatoes that are affected because the PH changes.  Eat them raw or fresh cooked.

Elk, Deer, Groundhogs,, Rabbits. Im about ready to give up the Garden, unless I spray chemicals and sit on the porch day and night with the Thirty ought six.

What say You?

Well. You do have to have meat to go along with those fresh vegetables.

Can anyone one here offer a good recipe for groundhog?

Lucky you!

The deer have been been eating the tops of the potatoes we had planted but my wife started spraying them with some sort of blood based deer repellent and they have left them alone. They are busy eating the apples on the ground across the street. They are there everyday. The rest of the garden is fenced off and momma deer hasnt jumped it although anything that creps out through the wire they nibble off and so far no bugs or blight this year but the season is not done yet. I am just hoping the tomatoes start to ripen before they die off. The plants are starting to  but there are lots of tomatoes Hopefully they will start to turn soon.

Late Blight is in more than 15 locations around the state including Brookville so it's time to spray if you choose to do so.  Spray with Daconil (Chlorothalonil) or something with copper if you do organic.  It has to be on the leaf before a fungal spore lands or it doesn't work.  Don't lose your tomatoes at this stage.  If you do find Late Blight then you can pick everything immediately, wash in clean water with a little Clorox added, rinse well and set on a table to ripen with none of them touching.  If any develop a lesion then toss it in the trash, not the compost.  The plants have to be pulled the same day and burned or tied tightly into plastic garbage bags.  Be sure to clean all debris from the garden. Do not freeze or can tomatoes that are affected because the PH changes.  Eat them raw or fresh cooked.

Hate the thought of using chemicals but, think Monday I will pick all the green tomatos and do as you suggested. Can late Blight survive in the soil over winter? If so, Is there something I can add to the soil in fall to improve my chances next yr? As for the Critters,,,,,,,,,ahhhh  I like old3doggs idea of stuffing groundhog with rabbit wrapped in elk...........

Late blight can survive in organic materiel in the soil over winter so be sure to clean up all garden debris especially tomatoes and related plants such as potatoes. There are weeds in the same family that will harbor the blight so clean those up as well. It will not survive in the soil without host material. 

There is nothing you can put in the soil and the sprays will prevent blight but not cure infected plants. They have to be destroyed. 

It can come in on infected plants or via air currents which is probably how we are getting it. 

Ran across this while looking for the turducken recipe. It might come in handy if you actually get an elk. I