GoDuBois.com

trash removal contract

disgruntled

In light of recent developments, is there any possibility of the current trash contract being opened up?  The powers that be have essentially tied us to a monopoly as things stand currently. 

The last time I needed to rent a dumpster for a home improvement project I was limited to using the "big company" because of my address.  

4 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

In light of recent developments, is there any possibility of the current trash contract being opened up?  The powers that be have essentially tied us to a monopoly as things stand currently. 

The last time I needed to rent a dumpster for a home improvement project I was limited to using the "big company" because of my address.  

That certainly brings up a good point. ALL contracts that we are bound by since he was in office should be re analyzed by someone. ( i was going to say council but you sure can't trust them now)

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

The garbage contract was begun in 2008 and has been renewed twice. It runs out in 2028. At some point Advance Disposal started donating 60 grand a year to the city that the city kept in a non audited account.

I think you are stuck with the  current company. 

https://gantnews.com/2018/03/29/dubois-council-renews-advanced-disposal-contract/

"Oh what a tangled web we weave...to practice to deceive"

I'm willing to bet if you drill down into the details....there's a whole lot more to this story.  

Sad situation...especially when honest people have worked so hard to make the area a better place.  

When I lived in Georgia, our trash was included in our taxes.   When I looked at the tax bill line items it came out to be about 30 bucks a month.    They provide 1 recycling can and 1 trash can plus they took yard waste.   You had to rent additional cans.   

But for dumpster we could use what ever company we wanted. 

13 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The garbage contract was begun in 2008 and has been renewed twice. It runs out in 2028. At some point Advance Disposal started donating 60 grand a year to the city that the city kept in a non audited account.

I think you are stuck with the  current company. 

https://gantnews.com/2018/03/29/dubois-council-renews-advanced-disposal-contract/

I guess it would be nice if they'd at least allow some competition for dumpster rentals. 

The Sherman Antitrust Act

An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct.

4 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I guess it would be nice if they'd at least allow some competition for dumpster rentals. 

An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct.

4 hours ago, disgruntled said:

That is exactly what happened here, and now we know why.  Let the littler company get a chance to excel also.

Fortunately for us in Falls Creek the borough council didn’t fall for Wasted Management’s (pun intended) proposed increase that would seen the monthly rate increase from $13 per month to $29 by the 3rd year (an 8% to 9% increase per year) and put it out to bid and excepted Hugill Sanitation’s bid of $18.50 per month with an option of a 3% increase each year. They obviously weren’t offered an underhanded kick back like the $60 grand DuBois was getting, nor would have they considered it either! And Hugill can drive from Mahaffey for that price and we still get a monthly dumpster for the residents to use for other than garbage. Fortunately for me I am old enough for the senior rate of $15.75 per month.

DuBois’ contract with Wasted Management definitely needs looked into to see if there was anything illegal in it considering the 60 grand kickback.

3 hours ago, Eastman said:

DuBois’ contract with Wasted Management definitely needs looked into to see if there was anything illegal in it considering the 60 grand kickback.

According to testimony from DuBois's Finance Officer the garbage payments went directly into the community days account which the finance officer stated the city did not review any of the community days account and were not included in the City's computerize financial system. The auditors only pulled info that was included in the computerize financial system.

5 hours ago, Eastman said:

Fortunately for us in Falls Creek the borough council didn’t fall for Wasted Management’s (pun intended) proposed increase that would seen the monthly rate increase from $13 per month to $29 by the 3rd year (an 8% to 9% increase per year) and put it out to bid and excepted Hugill Sanitation’s bid of $18.50 per month with an option of a 3% increase each year. They obviously weren’t offered an underhanded kick back like the $60 grand DuBois was getting, nor would have they considered it either! And Hugill can drive from Mahaffey for that price and we still get a monthly dumpster for the residents to use for other than garbage. Fortunately for me I am old enough for the senior rate of $15.75 per month.

This is why two companies went out of business a few years back. This company has money to throw around. If they were still in business bills would probably be half of what they are. 

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

According to testimony from DuBois's Finance Officer the garbage payments went directly into the community days account which the finance officer stated the city did not review any of the community days account and were not included in the City's computerize financial system. The auditors only pulled info that was included in the computerize financial system.

Just wondering why the payment would go into that particular Herm account. Good question for me to ask at the next council meeting.

Time will dig up a lot of answers.  Now that the door has been opened, don't make us look like a bunch of dumb hicks.  Keep your eyes and minds open to better ideas, and where we need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

That includes all of the major changes that have happened here in the last 20-30 years.  When did this problem really start?  It's time to find out.