GoDuBois.com

Woman sues Hershey’s Co. over Reese’s pumpkins without faces

Bon

Woman sues Hershey’s Co. over Reese’s pumpkins without faces

Hershey Co.

A Florida woman is suing the Hershey Co. for $5 million for false advertising of some Reese's Peanut Butter products.

• A Florida woman filed a federal lawsuit against The Hershey Company over claims some of its seasonal shaped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups were advertised deceptively.

Cynthia Kelly, of the Tampa area, is suing the company for $5 million in Florida’s Middle District Court.

In the lawsuit, Kelly claims the company is misleading consumers with inaccurate packaging, including depicting Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Pumpkins with carved out eyes and mouths. However, she said the actual candies contain no such carvings.

Kelly’s class-action suit also points out Reese’s White Pumpkins, Reese’s Pieces Pumpkins, Reese’s Peanut Butter Ghost, Reese’s White Ghost, Reese’s Peanut Butter Bats, Reese’s Peanut Butter footballs and Reese’s Peanut Butter Shapes Assortment Snowmen Stockings Bells.

Reese's

A Florida woman is suing The Hershey Company over claims of false advertising. Cynthia Kelly says packaging of several seasonal shaped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is deceptive.Screen shot

“Hershey’s labels for the Products are materially misleading and numerous consumers have been tricked and misled by the pictures on the Products’ packaging,” the lawsuit states.

Several photos comparing products’ packaging to their actual shapes are featured in the document. They include a football shape that Kelly said resembles an egg. The lawsuit suggests Hershey correct the packaging to reflect the actual contents.

The document also includes links to several YouTube videos of people reviewing the products and complaining about a lack of details on the candies. One of the videos is titled “Reese’s Halloween Candy LIED To Me!” and another states “Reese’s Drops First 2023 Halloween Candy ... BUT FAILS!”

Kelly said that she noticed the Reese’s pumpkins while shopping in October at Aldi and “believed that the product contained a cute looking carving of a pumpkin’s mouth and eyes as pictured on the product packaging.”

In the lawsuit, Kelly noted she would not have purchased the product if she knew it didn’t contain detailed carvings of the eyes and mouth as pictured on the label.

The document also notes that Hershey’s packaging didn’t always include the detailed carvings, something it added in the past two or three years. The Hershey Company didn’t immediately respond when reached for comment.

I do find this to be completely ridiculous lawsuit. However… there is a point that this is false advertising. But where does the line get drawn? Companies get away with this all the time. I myself have recently made a purchase.. I won’t get into the specifics of what I bought. But the advertisement on the package was indeed misleading and not accurate to what was inside. So where is the line with letting companies get away with misleading their consumers? 

12 hours ago, Constitutionalist said:

I do find this to be completely ridiculous lawsuit. However… there is a point that this is false advertising. But where does the line get drawn? Companies get away with this all the time. I myself have recently made a purchase.. I won’t get into the specifics of what I bought. But the advertisement on the package was indeed misleading and not accurate to what was inside. So where is the line with letting companies get away with misleading their consumers? 

its a candy bar for gods sake...

12 hours ago, Constitutionalist said:

The most simple answer to your question could simply be a dollar value of the item, not the size of the bank account of company that produces the item(s).

*I'm pretty certain that the complainant "could" have carved the face pictured herself had it been THAT important to her.  

15 hours ago, Constitutionalist said:

Just purchase food from any restaurant and you won't receive what you see in the advertisement!!!! I gave up on it, I guess if i don't like it, I won't buy from them anymore. 

3 hours ago, disgruntled said:

The most simple answer to your question could simply be a dollar value of the item, not the size of the bank account of company that produces the item(s).

*I'm pretty certain that the complainant "could" have carved the face pictured herself had it been THAT important to her.  

Trust me, if it was Freds Candy Co, that made the bar there would be no lawsuit involved.  Money grubbing witch

On 1/4/2024 at 11:37 AM, DS58 said:

its a candy bar for gods sake...

And to further your point its not the ingredients or the weight of the candy bar in question. It's the design on it. What happens when the candy bar is used for its intended purpose?  It would disappear. 

I noticed that new displays are out for this candy bar, and although it isn't Halloween, the display shows both the pumpkin without a face and also without.  Some people prefer no face because they don't celebrate Halloween!