GoDuBois.com

Biden wants $60,000 minimum teacher salaries(Tax increases)

jaman

7 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

They’re always looking for subs, go give it a shot and let us know how you do. 

Not me because I'm an outdoor person, however, I teach my share of kids.  I've also traveled to locations to teach subjects to classrooms for free.  I didn't even get gas money.  

On 1/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, Petee said:

I agree on the Day Care, but this is a problem for all parents who work and have children.  Daycare is terribly expensive.  I've always felt that each large business should be required to provide a Day Care center right in their building. Then adjust wages to cover the child care costs.  My husband and I worked and slept different shifts because we had 4 children in 5 1/2 years, so there was no way we could take the kids anywhere.  Hubby had up to 4 jobs at the same time and how he slept was...very little!  Wherever my kids were clustered and playing, that's where I would sleep, right in the middle of them.  Gates everywhere, elder children keeping an eye on the smaller kids.

I think there is a serious communication problem between the teachers and the parents, but how to solve it?  There is a difficulty when two caregivers are dealing with opposite sides of any kid.  One stressed parent wants everything for their kid, and the other wants an easier time doing their job.  It isn't easy!  It takes a dedicated person to be a teacher, and they're not all dedicated!  It takes an open minded and fair parent to deal with a kid in school, and some of them consider the school to be a babysitter, counselor and problem child solver.  The kids are the most needy in the equation.

That's a whole other topic, parents having more children than they can safely/reasonably/comfortably afford.   This is not the fault or responsibility of an employer or the teachers. 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, S_A_Hoov said:

jaman I have 1. Teaches High School. My son has a masters and makes 100,000 a year, and he's not at the top of the scale, has a couple of steps to go before he peaks out. That's why he stays in CA. 

CA is third highest state for cost of living.   What sounds good to someone living in PA, isn't a high wage after the difference is factored in.  

I am always shocked at what my friends in CA pay for basic grocery items and rent/mortgage and all the more they get for the big payment. 

10 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

They’re always looking for subs, go give it a shot and let us know how you do. 

Realistically, it would take me a few days to start to get the hang of it, but most STEM topics I could handle.  Now, put a teacher in my job?  Total dysfunction.  But, that is true of most professions.  

On 1/28/2023 at 1:10 PM, L8RG8R said:

Yes, I am willing and prepared for it. We have worked hard and have been smart with our income. 

The average teacher salary in PA is over $56k per year.  Sounds very fair to me.   
Society can’t afford more. We are already heavily burdened financially. You can’t keep pushing salaries up while the cost of goods naturally rises as well without an eventual breaking point.  
It’s basic economics. 

There are some teachers that go above and beyond for these students and take so much crap from kids that don’t want to be there and some are so disrespectful and can’t do anything except send them to the principal! I have always said from the time my daughter was in elementary, go volunteer for parties and such and see what they have to go through! Most teachers I do know, work second jobs throughout the summer and on weekends to pay for the stuff they need for their classroom. Plus there some that are taking extra class to get their masters in order to go higher in the system! It all starts at home, parents need to be parents and not friends, discipline them when they act out, don’t just let them get away with it