GoDuBois.com

Meatloaf

Cardinal Fan

You have a problem with "Meatloaf" for dinner?

Listening or eating?????

As far as a suggestion for cooking a meatloaf, years ago I made one for camp.  Mostly the same ingredients everyone is listing:  breadcrumbs, an egg, catsup, etc.  For something different, I put small cubes of American cheese into the mix.  I shaped the meatloaf like an "unclad vixen" (if you catch my drift!).  Cheese melted into wholesome goodness, except for the areas where it leached out of my vixen.

Guest zackrspv

I add quick cooking oats, milk, egg, cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce (we call it rooster) and then top it with a mix of ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Love it left over in a fried meatloaf sandwich.

I, as well, add oats.  I find they bind the loaf much better than bread or crackers.  When the kids are helping make it though, we use wheat crackers (unsalted), which they love to crunch up :P

• 8 months later...
Guest tompepper
Marriage Meatloaf

The Amish Cook generates a lot of reader mail, as you can imagine. One of the more rewarding letters came about 5 or 6 years ago from a woman in Ohio who was expressing her appreciation for The Amish Cook column over the years, in particular the late Elizabeth Coblentz

My food thinking is very basic.

Butter, garlic and onions will make everything taste good.

A noodle in any shape and with any sauce is wonderful.

It is hard to screw up a meatloaf. Even burnt a 1/2 inch deep or cooked until it is dry as shoe leather you can still dress it up enough to be edible.

You reall need to put those thoughts into context though. I've eaten things that others would turn up their noses at and enjoyed them all. Things like rattlesnake, possum, beaver, escargo (?sp)and muskrat come to mind.