GoDuBois.com

Blvd pavillion

Harvey Mungaknuts

On 3/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

On a slightly side note.  Why are they brush hogging all along the railroad  tracks and swamp. Leaving tall stumps and just wood clutter all over

That is being done by the B & P Railroad.  Railroads don't care about how it looks, they just come in and do it as quick as they can.  The sane thing with crossings.  It is difficult to get them do fix them and they do it as cheap as they can

19 minutes ago, Mahatma Kane Jeeves said:

That is being done by the B & P Railroad.  Railroads don't care about how it looks, they just come in and do it as quick as they can.  The sane thing with crossings.  It is difficult to get them do fix them and they do it as cheap as they can

There is always a chance of fire from a train.  They used to start fires up along the curve at Sabula all the time.  It was nothing to see a whole string of small fires at different times.

Just now, Petee said:

There is always a chance of fire from a train.  They used to start fires up along the curve at Sabula all the time.  It was nothing to see a whole string of small fires at different times.

It will look cleaner when they are done, but maybe the city could keep it looking nice, "just fer".

23 hours ago, Mahatma Kane Jeeves said:

Nope been a city truck and trailer there almost daily  with the machine cutting it

On 3/28/2023 at 8:31 PM, Petee said:

It could have been a nice addition had it been done with style and artistically instead of like a carnival sign.  It would also have been nice to see it as a new name agreed on by those who live over the entire area, honoring our history instead of as a GOTCHA!

I think you might be reading too much into the name.  The citizenry of Sandy Twp already have "DuBois, PA 15801" as their mailing addresses.  To think it would be anything other than "DuBois" at the conclusion was highly unlikely.  

The name DuBois means nothing.  We are handled by a zip code.  Without it, your mail doesn't even get delivered.  So, change the name for the benefit of everyone, some to learn from, and others to be less stressed by, and start fresh with an entirely new outlook.

I knew Mr DuBois and spoke to him quite a bit well before he passed away.  He was almost totally defeated by "DuBois" and disrespected by the government despite the fact that his forefathers built the town.  I don't even think he would be displeased if a change in name was a factor in creating a better future for this area.  

46 minutes ago, Petee said:

The name DuBois means nothing.  We are handled by a zip code.  Without it, your mail doesn't even get delivered.  So, change the name for the benefit of everyone, some to learn from, and others to be less stressed by, and start fresh with an entirely new outlook.

I knew Mr DuBois and spoke to him quite a bit well before he passed away.  He was almost totally defeated by "DuBois" and disrespected by the government despite the fact that his forefathers built the town.  I don't even think he would be displeased if a change in name was a factor in creating a better future for this area.  

Respectfully, I disagree. 

Changing the name will not change the makeup of our population, nor will it change the mindset of the population.  Change simply for the sake of change is silly.  The name is not the problem--the population is. 

We can be united and be one without adopting some new name.  My mention of the DuBois, PA on the mail in the area is already proof of that--like it or not the Sandy Township residents are effectively DuBois, PA residents currently.  

29 minutes ago, BigT said:

Has anyone ever spoke to the people from Cambria County that live in what was Spangler and Barnesboro? I wonder how they feel about the name of Northern Cambria? 

Check out this article from the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat regarding the consolidation.  Some interesting reading.

https://www.tribdem.com/news/we-were-promised-the-world-nearly-2-decades-after-consolidation-some-issues-still-haunt-northern/article_01c9f23a-fb68-11e8-8cd6-b7caf3d4726f.html

3 hours ago, Basset3 said:

Check out this article from the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat regarding the consolidation.  Some interesting reading.

https://www.tribdem.com/news/we-were-promised-the-world-nearly-2-decades-after-consolidation-some-issues-still-haunt-northern/article_01c9f23a-fb68-11e8-8cd6-b7caf3d4726f.html

It seems to me no one wanted to take action . We need to have young blood to step up with new ideas. This needs to be done all across the country. Life just gets in the way for people. Some need to work two jobs 

just to survive. It’s really sad the way things are. The old ways are not going to work. 

7 hours ago, des said:

It seems to me no one wanted to take action . We need to have young blood to step up with new ideas. This needs to be done all across the country. Life just gets in the way for people. Some need to work two jobs 

just to survive. It’s really sad the way things are. The old ways are not going to work. 

The OLD ways never happen except where there are no assets to grow on.  DuBois/Sandy have tons of assets and have never stagnated.  There is plenty of young blood.  May I remind you that Herm was once the "young blood".  Proven personalities and the ability to make fair changes as needed is what counts.  As long as a change is fairly thought out and reflects the needs of the weakest citizen up to the entrepreneur who needs to grow, it's all important, but the needs of the weakest must obviously be considered carefully.  They were probably very productive in their strongest years and deserve respect, not trampling.  Not doing so is death to amenable change.

11 hours ago, BigT said:

Has anyone ever spoke to the people from Cambria County that live in what was Spangler and Barnesboro? I wonder how they feel about the name of Northern Cambria? 

Hmmm, good neutral descriptive name, and both entities could still be noted geographically as needed for finding things.  It would help with proper zoning as well.  I know when we go there, it's impossible to find things because there is no obvious business center to go from.  

9 minutes ago, Petee said:

The OLD ways never happen except where there are no assets to grow on.  DuBois/Sandy have tons of assets and have never stagnated.  There is plenty of young blood.  May I remind you that Herm was once the "young blood".  Proven personalities and the ability to make fair changes as needed is what counts.  As long as a change is fairly thought out and reflects the needs of the weakest citizen up to the entrepreneur who needs to grow, it's all important, but the needs of the weakest must obviously be considered carefully.  They were probably very productive in their strongest years and deserve respect, not trampling.  Not doing so is death to amenable change.

Hmmm, good neutral descriptive name, and both entities could still be noted geographically as needed for finding things.  It would help with proper zoning as well.  I know when we go there, it's impossible to find things because there is no obvious business center to go from.  

How about signage that reflects "Northern Cambria, Old Town Spangler District"  Northern Cambria Old Town Barnesboro District."  Northern Cambria took away nothing from the original entities and Northern Cambria will still get the mail to them.  Every town needs something like boroughs, districts, zones, something!  In DuBois it was Wards. You knew the basic vicinity of things, they each had a sense of community and neighbors, yet they all functioned together amicably as a town.  In Sandy and on the business outskirts, it was usually a locality such as Sabula, West Sandy, the Mall area, East Side, Coke Hill, Bundy Settlement, etc.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:58 PM, Petee said:

Your attitude is part of the problem, you can't consider a better community in spirit, just the old one because you don't like change, even for the betterment of the spirit of the whole.

I assume the "attitude" comment was directed at me.  You don't know me at all.  Oddly enough, I personally stand to gain more by a change than many others, but I still don't think it's a necessary change.  

We don't need a new NAME.  We need united instead of fighting over silly things that aren't essential.  This "US versus YOU" stuff is the problem.  You can change the name of this area that has this zip code to anything you'd like, but the name is not the problem.  The mindset is the problem.  Changing a name won't fix that.  This is tantamount to slapping some lipstick on a pig and calling it pretty. 

Kevin can legally change his name to Brian, and his family will still probably call him Kevin.  

We are DuBois.  The city residents as well as the Sandy Township residents.  So we are going to spend money changing signs when we could put it into important things like streets, trees, water lines, sewage lines, that's wasteful and unnecessary.  

Oh, and for the record, I own property in the city AND in the township.  

18 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I assume the "attitude" comment was directed at me.  You don't know me at all.  Oddly enough, I personally stand to gain more by a change than many others, but I still don't think it's a necessary change.  

We don't need a new NAME.  We need united instead of fighting over silly things that aren't essential.  This "US versus YOU" stuff is the problem.  You can change the name of this area that has this zip code to anything you'd like, but the name is not the problem.  The mindset is the problem.  Changing a name won't fix that.  This is tantamount to slapping some lipstick on a pig and calling it pretty. 

Kevin can legally change his name to Brian, and his family will still probably call him Kevin.  

We are DuBois.  The city residents as well as the Sandy Township residents.  So we are going to spend money changing signs when we could put it into important things like streets, trees, water lines, sewage lines, that's wasteful and unnecessary.  

Good post. This is why we need newer younger people to stand up instead of leaving the area. I don’t live in the city but was born and raised there. They need new ideas. I worked with a lot of younger folks that had good ideas and strong opinions.For your future stand up.

2 hours ago, disgruntled said:

That's pretty much what I said but sorry, the name has to go.  It's an image thing that people are misled easily by.  When DuBois has been so nasty in the past, I think it's time for them to man up and let the entire area become a new entity, name and ALL!

2 hours ago, weirdcritter said:

How about Rumbarger?

Nope, DuBois ties.  It has to be a name that has nothing to do with either DuBois or Sandy.  Something that everyone would love and embrace to call their own.

6 minutes ago, Petee said:

Nope, DuBois ties.  It has to be a name that has nothing to do with either DuBois or Sandy.  Something that everyone would love and embrace to call their own.

Could go with the French version....instead of Dubois, change the pronunciation to Doo-bwah.

15 hours ago, Petee said:

That's pretty much what I said but sorry, the name has to go.  It's an image thing that people are misled easily by.  When DuBois has been so nasty in the past, I think it's time for them to man up and let the entire area become a new entity, name and ALL!

Ridiculous !!!  This would cost a fortune. Think about the cost to businesses large and small with address in print would be garbage. Literature, Business cards, and the list goes on and on. Does anyone else think the name should change for warm fuzzy feelings?

I do not want to defend nor condemn anyone until the forensic accounting & judicial process has played out.  A majority of voters from both municipalities have endorsed the merger and what has been alleged should not affect the final outcome, though it may determine how it occurs.

I believe the name should be "City of DuBois", but I also believe districts should be adopted, such as "Sandy District" and "Treasure Lake District".  

Some here should be old enough to recall the school district merger of DuBois, Sandy, Sykesville, etc., and how it was facilitated by having the surrounding towns retain identity through the elementary schools.  That merger is now approaching 60 years past and many of the firebrands for and against are now arguing about in their afterlife.  My point is our area cannot be short-sighted about what has allegedly occurred.  That die has been cast and there is nothing that can change facts.  Work on improving what we can, but do not ignore the past or let the past have undo influence on our future.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:28 PM, Petee said:

As an outsider who ended up here about 3 decades ago, I have observed nastiness and stupidity from both sides.  The first 20 years I recall city and township suing each other non-stop over sewage.  

Lived in Sandy since I arrived.  DuBois it is.  No one has a clue where Sandy Township is, unless you live here.  At least the name DuBois is recognized beyond 30 miles.